Sponsored

If you're a manual lover, would you buy 2020 with no manual?

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Nice articles. I do understand how they work, that’s not what I was questioning though.

There will always be a dip in RPMs during gear changes. Impossible not to unless it’s a CVT.

Regardless, I would prefer the dct over the auto because I have experience with the dct and it feels better to me than the 10sp. I’d have to drive a mustang with the 10sp to really see it in action though.
The DCT should also provide a much quicker response from the paddles if one wants to use them manually. You said you had a GTR, how fun would this car be with an AWD system!!! Maybe we see it in the S650.
Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I would not consider any car that comes with any sort of automatic transmission if a sporting use and character are what I am after. I stopped lusting after Ferrari's and Lamborghini's because of this. Porsche briefly broke my heart when the GT3 became DSG only until they realized through the instant demand for the 911 R that a manual was still a very desirable item, maybe not in quantities large enough to be a good business case for current times though. A good argument can be made for either and a dual clutch es definitely the highest performing option it's but not for everyone.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The DCT should also provide a much quicker response from the paddles if one wants to use them manually. You said you had a GTR, how fun would this car be with an AWD system!!! Maybe we see it in the S650.
Yes agreed. Driver inputs are increased with the dct. For some stupid reason manufacturers can’t figure out how to code or have the control work well in this area with a torque converter and conventional auto. When I snap the paddle I want instant response. Few transmissions do this, but they’re all dct’s that do.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I suppose nothing can operate at the speed of light...except for light. What is perceptable to the end user is something that is reasonably arguable. On paper, the DCT has the potential to eek out more performance from the GT500 engine than a torque converter managed transmission ever could. Shifting at or near hp/torque peak should provide a noticeable performance improvement over the best automatic Ford has access to as well as any TR6060 variant. I don't think Ford would have moved forward if the benefit wasn't there given the additional weight/cost.
I think it will have the 10 speed. A DCT will make the car cost quite a bit more.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It'd be nice if it were that simple.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think for track days an automatic trans would yield quicker lap times and thus make track days more rewarding. There would be no missed shifts and you could drive deeper into the corners and brake later and be on the gas sooner out of the corner.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just skimmed through so inform me if I missed it, but has anyone heard of what the purpose of the GT500 is? Like is it a platform designed for drag/straight line? Because if so, I understand why they went with a dual clutch transmission. But for me, 9/10, I’m going with a manual transmission

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Yes agreed. Driver inputs are increased with the dct. For some stupid reason manufacturers can’t figure out how to code or have the control work well in this area with a torque converter and conventional auto. When I snap the paddle I want instant response. Few transmissions do this, but they’re all dct’s that do.
Totally agree. You can still have fun using the paddles, but you really want that instantaneous response.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Like is it a platform designed for drag/straight line? Because if so, I understand why they went with a dual clutch transmission.
DCTs are highly effective, really more attenuated for road course use - in fact, if they were designing for "straight line", I'd see no reason for them to even consider a DCT.

To answer the question (other considerations notwithstanding ...), heck yes, if it was a DCT. Given an option between manual and [conventional] automatic? Maybe the manual. The only transmission being a DCT? Wouldn't affect my buying decision :)

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Not only would I be ok with an auto, I'm getting to the point where something with an auto trans, and adaptive cruise control is very attractive for me. I find myself doing way too much stop and go as trips to the Los Angeles area and the heinous traffic are more and more common for me. 5 of my last 6 cars have been manual trans and I'm getting just a bit tired of it. Perhaps, I'll get a G70 for trips where traffic is likely to be a major consumer of time.

Sponsored

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Stick only or they can Kiss my Arse. :curse:

The New 2019 BMW M2 Competition gets rave reviews. Almost every reporter says to get the "stick" even though the DCT is faster (but boring).

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
But hey, you can't push the gas pedal all the way down without spinning the tires! You have to modulate the pedal!! That is if you turn traction control off - otherwise the car probably does that for you as well.

Hopefully the GT500 will have lane assist and smart cruise as well - it's too much work actually driving the car. :giggle:
That gave me a vision of the future where drivers just sit in the cars and let them race themselves and then argue about the best automated computer controlled racing computers ha! I am excited about the auto option on the GT500 though, it will have superior track times, still love manuals though. I am missing mine after buying my first automatic vehicle in my entire life.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The awesome thing about modern manual transmissions is that you can have a light clutch pedal even in a high HP car. That would be my only objection in the past. Now a manual has become much easier to drive.

I would think a modern automatic might be quicker than a DCT due to the torque multiplication of the converter. And I would think that an automatic would last longer with the torque converter providing some of the slip rather than needing clutches inside the transmission to do that job. But maybe they have figured out how to solve those issues.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I just skimmed through so inform me if I missed it, but has anyone heard of what the purpose of the GT500 is? Like is it a platform designed for drag/straight line? Because if so, I understand why they went with a dual clutch transmission. But for me, 9/10, I’m going with a manual transmission
I've heard it's going to be more so for track but a dual threat

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
DCT? 10 speed auto? I realize everyone can make their own decision but to me if you want to go that route you might as well hire a chauffeur.
Sponsored