2019 MagneRide back ordered?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
From nearly everything I read, Magneride takes the car to a new level both on the street and on the track. Most professional reviews cite it as “The” option to have. It’s the only reason I factory ordered my Mustang. There were plenty of non-Magneride cars at my local dealer and ones nearby. Of course, not having driven a magneride car personally, I can’t speak from actual experience. Will be glad to report back, hopefully in late January when mine is suppose to be delivered.
But you can always get a set of shocks to accomplish the same feel on the street or track. The difference is if you want to go from aggressive to soft transmission on the fly. I have had it for 3 years and I have always put it in the more aggressive setting, I never take advantage of the choice of the comfort/normal modes. Magnaride gives you a choice I have learned I don't need is all.
Sponsored

Holmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2019 F150 King Ranch
But you can always get a set of shocks to accomplish the same feel on the street or track. The difference is if you want to go from aggressive to soft transmission on the fly. I have had it for 3 years and I have always put it in the more aggressive setting, I never take advantage of the choice of the comfort/normal modes. Magnaride gives you a choice I have learned I don't need is all.
I do not believe this is completely accurate. I also have a late model BMW with the suspension settings (Normal, Sport, etc). Sport makes the ride and handing much firmer. I prefer that setting as well. While the Ford Magneride also has similar settings, the Magneride dampers can dynamically adjust the setting of each individual shock up to 1000 times per second based on the road conditions and what the car is doing, ie: breaking, accelerating, cornering, combination, etc. it’s not various static settings that simply sets the firmness of the stocks to a predefined mode. I sure hope that Magneride is more dynamic than what I have in my BMW or i’m going to be pissed having to wait for 4 months for delivery.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I do not believe this is completely accurate. I also have a late model BMW with the suspension settings (Normal, Sport, etc). Sport makes the ride and handing much firmer. I prefer that setting as well. While the Ford Magneride also has similar settings, the Magneride dampers can dynamically adjust the setting of each individual shock up to 1000 times per second based on the road conditions and what the car is doing, ie: breaking, accelerating, cornering, combination, etc. it’s not various static settings that simply sets the firmness of the stocks to a predefined mode. I sure hope that Magneride is more dynamic than what I have in my BMW or i’m going to be pissed having to wait for 4 months for delivery.
BMW adaptive suspension also adapts as you drive, but maybe not on the same level as MR.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
BMW adaptive suspension also adapts as you drive, but maybe not on the same level as MR.
They may market it that way, but it sure doesn't work that way in my M235. Sport firms up the suspension, but the self-levelling stuff you see in the online videos sure doesn't happen, at least not in any meaningful timeframe.

Bubba Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
They may market it that way, but it sure doesn't work that way in my M235. Sport firms up the suspension, but the self-levelling stuff you see in the online videos sure doesn't happen, at least not in any meaningful timeframe.
I don't think this compares the 2 series, coming from a former M240i owner.

I'm ok waiting a couple months extra for the car since everyone who I know that has one raves over it

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
There is a significant difference between Rain/Snow and Normal, Normal to Sport+, not as big from Sport+ to Track. With the Performance Package, I commute in Normal and the ride is great. Proper sports car firm, but really compliant over unusual surfaces. Merging with traffic or stop-n-go, I'll run with the shifter in S, but I don't change the drive mode to Sport+ on my commute too often. MR was a must-have option for me - I wouldn't have bought the car without it and got lucky to find one in dealer stock - a special order that was abandoned. If I hadn't found this one, I would have ordered to get the MR.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Magneride is more popular than anticipated. Dealers may want them, but dealer stock is lowest priority. If there are higher priorities, Ford will find those first. The Bullitts are a special case because they are part of a limited edition and qualified dealers were promised a certain allotment. Several factors also dictate the timing of orders, including the dealer location and number of cars on order. For example, my dealer deals primarily in trucks, so they have scheduled transport to Kansas City. The Mustang goes by train to the depot in KC, so they would wait for at least one full car hauler to KC.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if anyone realizes the sordid story behind Magneride? Developed for GM by Delphi, it started with the Cadillac and then Corvette in 2003. Delphi had a major scandal that screwed employees and stockholders and shutdown plants. The bankruptcy resulted in the breakup of Delphi and the chassis operation got taken by Beijing West Industries. The Magneride is in its 3rd generation.

Ever since the GT350 came out with it, I figured it would eventually make it to all models. It is now available and I am willing to wait for it. I also accept that only BWI can manufacture the technology and has numerous car makes they support. Including Ferrari, Audi, BMW, etc. So Ford is at the mercy of China as long as they can milk the patent.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Ive looked around for a GT with MR in a about a 30 mile radius, maybe 6 dealers, I think I found one or two but they were all base GT’s, no premiums. Never thought is was a backorder issue, will have to ask my dealer.

Doesn’t matter for me really, I gotta get a new gig before I get one....

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
There were a few Magneride cars that were popping up in the Autonation dealer network last month, but from what I could find they weren't going to make any deals on them. I ended up flying out to Boise Idaho and having a bit less enjoyable than hoped return road trip through snow/ice, but it was some intense quality time spent with the car getting to know it nonetheless and I worked in a few mountain road passes that weren't covered in ice on the way too.

I absolutely LOVE the Magneride. The Performance Pack 1 rides softer in normal mode than my 2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with 18" 235/45 tires. Not to bash on my Honda I still love it and it can take a beating without one rattle or squeak. The Sport+ Mode is all that I have really used to speak of so far while I gain familiarity with how it lays down the power, etc. The entire car just transforms from a super compliant daily driver to a fire breathing beast with the Magneride, adjustable exhaust, and transmission.

This is the only car that I have ever owned with adaptive settings beyond sport mode in my Honda's auto transmission. It's really pretty incredible how much it transforms. I test drove a few cars with adaptive settings and they firmed up, shifted harder, and produced a bit more exhaust note in their respective sports modes, but nothing like this. That big V8 and the extra weight of the Mustang really add to the drama of having the ability to adjust settings at your fingertips.

I'm not sure even in normal mode if I notice much body roll or dive. It adapts pretty well, but remains very compliant. In Sport+ it's next level of flat in the corners and overall firmness, but the ride quality is actually not unlivable. It still soaks up the bumps fairly nicely. It's pretty cool technology imo.

I'm frankly personally glad that it's still looking to be so hard to come by. It makes the miles put on the car seem less of a sacrifice to have secured one of the few available. If they become available I highly recommend the option. The PP1 without it rode a bit firm when I test drove one. Not unlivable at all, but the Magneride just makes it seem like it's not even a factor until you turn on Sport mode and firm it up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bubba Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
reading the MR owners rave makes me glad I punted the non MR order and went for the MR build!

My sales guy got me a 1/8/19 build date, so it was only a marginally longer wait, well worth sharing my wife's car for that time in exchange for what sounds like a much better ride experience

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Track mode to me is at least another bump up or more than from normal to Sport, but it is a little less forgiving on the bumps. Definitely more planted in the corners than Sport mode. IMO, definitely worth the money.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Well I ordered my PP2 on 9/20/18 and the eta now is 3/20/19
Has to do with the sc2's. Seems all PP2's are delayed to March. The cold can crack them.

magnetic_pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Has to do with the sc2's. Seems all PP2's are delayed to March. The cold can crack them.
Yeah that's what I was told but the wait is just punishing. I'd rather have the car and have them ship the cup 2 tires later.
Sponsored