Sponsored

2019 GT Buying Advice - Too Risky?

1st time Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt.Auto.Premium.3.55
Don't take a $40,000.00 Chance.. Not worth it. Wait and see if the 2020 Model has these Problems Solved.
Its hard to wait for your dream car I'm sure,But ask yourself..Do I Want to Be another one writing on
this Forum about my car BB Ticking Etc,,?? Ask yourself..
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Don't take a $40,000.00 Chance.. Not worth it. Wait and see if the 2020 Model has these Problems Solved.
Its hard to wait for your dream car I'm sure,But ask yourself..Do I Want to Be another one writing on
this Forum about my car BB Ticking Etc,,?? Ask yourself..
Could make a YouTube channel with dramatic thumbnails (lots of arrows, Mustang on flatbed truck, person with hands on their face, car white outlined,etc) and become rich off as revenue with daily vods complaining about the issues the car has! Doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all actually.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Could make a YouTube channel with dramatic thumbnails (lots of arrows, Mustang on flatbed truck, person with hands on their face, car white outlined,etc) and become rich off as revenue with daily vods complaining about the issues the car has! Doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all actually.
This is why I actually wish YouTube didn't monetize a dang thing. Too much garbage, and not enough worthwhile content.

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
I bought the car. I actually flew out to Idaho to get one optioned as I wanted that was reasonably discounted which meant a huge road trip back home. The car has performed flawlessly really. I didn't have much choice but to break it in gently on the wet/snowy/icy roads for much of the trip and I was surprised by how well it handled the conditions. It does, however, have the irregular tapping sound during the warm up idle and it settles down afterward and becomes almost imperceptible. I've still got my Honda and I'm planning to keep it at least until the road trip mileage home normalizes to average. I am hoping that it doesn't become my backup vehicle if the Mustang needs repairs.

I appreciate everyone giving me fair warning. I'm not freaking out about the irregular tapping that I believe is referred to as the 'typewriter tick.' I don't plan to let this car go out of warranty without it being addressed if the engine has serious issues.

The car is amazing otherwise. I sincerely hope that this is something that can be fixed if it comes to that point. I'm exceptionally pleased with the vehicle. I am actually a little surprised that it has otherwise exceeded my expectations. Now, I just hope the motor doesn't ruin that impression.

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
@Fastfwd what color and options?

I agree that they're really nice cars and do a lot of things well. Coming from a 2003 Mach 1 and driving a Peterbilt at work for 60+ hours a week the S550 rides super plush especially with the magneride. Good luck to you in your experience owning your new Mustang.
Oxford White, PP1, Magneride, 401a, 10 speed auto, Adjustable Exhaust, Safe and Sound, Security, B&O Sound - basically everything except the carbon fiber package I believe.

Indeed it does ride very nice for what it can do. I was able to find a couple mountain roads on my return trip that weren't covered in ice to get a little taste of how it handled and I was not disappointed. I think I gave some hikers outside of Albuquerque a bit of a surprise to unleash the track exhaust up/down the mountain in a mildly spirited run up and down. It does sound more like an exotic car than a Mustang. It probably sounds better than some exotics actually.

I'll say it again that the car has exceeded my expectations. I am sincerely hopeful that if it develops any engine issues that it can be resolved without facing a buyback or whatever other resolution is presented, but I can't just eat it either. I might be a little bit in disbelief that they would continue production of their most iconic vehicle if they know the engines are disintegrating and there is really no way to fix it - just put another motor in it that will do the same thing. It's a big financial mistake on my part if that's the case I suppose, but I can't imagine what kind of financial disaster it would be for Ford to keep selling these with motors that can't make it through the warranty period.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Oxford White, PP1, Magneride, 401a, 10 speed auto, Adjustable Exhaust, Safe and Sound, Security, B&O Sound - basically everything except the carbon fiber package I believe.

Indeed it does ride very nice for what it can do. I was able to find a couple mountain roads on my return trip that weren't covered in ice to get a little taste of how it handled and I was not disappointed. I think I gave some hikers outside of Albuquerque a bit of a surprise to unleash the track exhaust up/down the mountain in a mildly spirited run up and down. It does sound more like an exotic car than a Mustang. It probably sounds better than some exotics actually.

I'll say it again that the car has exceeded my expectations. I am sincerely hopeful that if it develops any engine issues that it can be resolved without facing a buyback or whatever other resolution is presented, but I can't just eat it either. I might be a little bit in disbelief that they would continue production of their most iconic vehicle if they know the engines are disintegrating and there is really no way to fix it - just put another motor in it that will do the same thing. It's a big financial mistake on my part if that's the case I suppose, but I can't imagine what kind of financial disaster it would be for Ford to keep selling these with motors that can't make it through the warranty period.
probably take another year to get a good idea on whats happening. But until we know what the cause is this will continue. at this point id just expect some ticking noise at some point and decide no if you want to live with it or take it back

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Congrats on the car! And that sounds like a beautiful spec. Please do yourself a favor and don't let the warm up tick get you paranoid. I've had my car for 7 months now (damn time FLIES) and it's had the cold start tick since it was new. It runs beautifully and never fails to throw me in the back of me seat when I can get on the loud petal. Just take it easy for the first 500 miles or so and maybe check your oil level after 1000 miles as a precaution but you should be fine.

Again congrats!

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
OP, do not listen to complainers and nay sayers. The car you bought is one if the most sophisticated and dependable sports cars ever made. Like looking at reviews on a product on Amazon. Let's say the average rating is a 4.9 out of 5. That means there are some folks that either got a lemon or they were unrealistic on their expectations, but they are the extreme minority. They are the extreme end of the bell curve. 99.99% chance you are somewhere in the middle.

Just to reminisce. The '11s were supposed to have "cylinder 8" cooling issues. I don't think so. I owned one, supercharged it and beat the living daylights out of it. All stock engine dozens of passes with drag radials in 90+ degree heat. Then there was the "broken shifter" on the '18s, then there are the "ring gap" issues. There is always something that is a bit imperfect on a car. But the MAJORITY, the vast majority, are awesome machines.

The Mustang is an incredible machine. The engine technology makes the Mopar or GM look like a dinosaur. They can't begin to come up with an 8,000 RPM engine with 4 cams, 32 valves, independent cam timing, naturally aspirated without breaking the bank which makes 1.5 HP/CUBIC INCH.

Beat the daylights out of your Mustang. Drive it as it was meant to be driven and you will enjoy a car the rest of the world longs for.

Every time I look under the hood of a GM or Mopar I see an engine that is a refined version of what was in my Torino 48 years ago. Put a roller cam/lifters and free flowing exhaust with electronic ignition and fuel injection in that 1970 429CJ and it would make the 392 look very slow. That is old technology. Period.

But, that's not what YOU drive. You drive an awesome, high revving, high horsepower Mustang with an engine that loves to rev and rev.

Every day I can get behind the wheel and the road is dry gets me going. And, I've been a car junkie for over 45 years.

You have a sweet machine!

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
There's dozens of members who feel like I do about their 2018 Mustang. You're still in the honeymoon stage with your 2019.

Like I said the fanboi's will never admit ford did anything wrong.
Seems to me the only reason you hang around here is to complain.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I guess I can only voice my opinion if it spins the Mustang in a positive way.
Nothing wrong with having an opinion. You and everyone else has one and should be able to express it. The point though when it changes from just an opinion to whining is when you see it all the time in too many threads. At this point, based on what I have seen on this forum and others as well as people I know, there is really no special about problem that the Mustangs have than any other car mfr. Every forum for every car I have been on have these discussions and problems with all sorts of stuff. Lemon law, buy back and bad engines are not unique to Ford or the Mustang. I truly feel bad for anyone that has had to go through any issue, but you all need to face the fact that no matter what brand you buy, especially a performance car, you will have issues. I see lots of people complaining every time I take my Cayman in for service. I see it less, but still see it when I take my wife's Honda in for service.

Folks on performance forums are far more sensitive than a "regular" car owner. Most regular car owners never know they have an issue until the warning lights come on. We just want our cars perfect. The problem is, no car is. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Don't buy one. I wish I never bought my 2018 5.0 rattler.
Where is the guy that asked if everyone that bought a '17 wishes they had waited to buy an '18?

My '17 GT has been NO problems what so ever. GLAD I got my '17 hahahahahaha

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
My buddies 18 has absolutely no tick or anything so there are some owners out there that have no issues it seems

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
but you all need to face the fact that no matter what brand you buy, especially a performance car, you will have issues.
That's not really an accurate statement. Go onto an 235i/M240i forum. Those cars do a 4.3-4.4 0-60 and almost nobody has issues with them aside from super minor ones. The new Mustang issues and the A8 shudder issues with the Camaro seem to be much more serious and prevalent.
Sponsored