Sponsored

Trustworthy Performance Shops Around Charleston, SC

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you do decide to drive to Myrtle, I would check with Turn Key Automotive.

They’ve done performance work for buddies of mine and the owner is definitely an enthusiast. They’ve far outlived several “performance” shops in the area.
Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
If you want to drive to Columbia, there is a shop called CPR ( http://www.cprperformanceparts.com ).

Haven't been there in years but they used to be very Mustang oriented.
Late response but Yeap..this is the place to go.

They are still pretty mustang oriented. The mechanic is Ford certified and the owner owns a Shelby.

I get all my exhaust tune suspension work there unless I am driving to Valdosta to have steeda do it.

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
My buddy swears by Charleston Performance Solutions on Rivers Ave, in North Charleston. I haven't used them, but he had them do some work on his C5 Corvette and really liked them.

JR

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
My buddy swears by Charleston Performance Solutions on Rivers Ave, in North Charleston. I haven't used them, but he had them do some work on his C5 Corvette and really liked them.

JR
They are stupid expensive though. I have called them for a couple things. Really nice guys, but you will pay $$$.

I ended up doing all the work myself. Sort of glad that I did. It helped me learn about the suspension and stabilization assembly, and also helped me find some of the weak points. Now that I have done it once, I think I could all 4 springs in about 2-3 hours.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are stupid expensive though. I have called them for a couple things. Really nice guys, but you will pay $$$.

I ended up doing all the work myself. Sort of glad that I did. It helped me learn about the suspension and stabilization assembly, and also helped me find some of the weak points. Now that I have done it once, I think I could all 4 springs in about 2-3 hours.
Yeah, I prefer to do all my own work, but there are just some things that I have to outsource - like alignments. I'm about to install a Steeda Stop the Hop kit, brake fluid flush, new Michelin PS4S tires, and will need an alignment. I'll do everything except install the tires and align.

However, I'm about to inherit my father-in-law's big block Camaro, and I know exactly dick about carbs and setting up auto transmissions. I'll eventually need someone to be able to fix that crap. My FIL isn't dead or dying, just decided that he doesn't drive this thing any longer, and doesn't want to pay for storage. So, now I have to grow a mullet.

JR

Sponsored

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yeah, I prefer to do all my own work, but there are just some things that I have to outsource - like alignments. I'm about to install a Steeda Stop the Hop kit, brake fluid flush, new Michelin PS4S tires, and will need an alignment. I'll do everything except install the tires and align.

However, I'm about to inherit my father-in-law's big block Camaro, and I know exactly dick about carbs and setting up auto transmissions. I'll eventually need someone to be able to fix that crap. My FIL isn't dead or dying, just decided that he doesn't drive this thing any longer, and doesn't want to pay for storage. So, now I have to grow a mullet.

JR
I actually went to NTB for the alignment. The one in Mt P has a Subaru tuner dude doing the alignments, and he knows some about aftermarket suspension. He was able to get mine to the settings I wanted without any issues. Also, unlike other mechanics, he came out and asked me if he didn't know something. He was confused with my MM camber/caster plates, so he came out and asked me how they were setup on the strut, and what the torque specs were for the new nuts.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually went to NTB for the alignment. The one in Mt P has a Subaru tuner dude doing the alignments, and he knows some about aftermarket suspension. He was able to get mine to the settings I wanted without any issues. Also, unlike other mechanics, he came out and asked me if he didn't know something. He was confused with my MM camber/caster plates, so he came out and asked me how they were setup on the strut, and what the torque specs were for the new nuts.
Good to know. I have a buddy that's in the import tuner scene at the Firestone in north Mount P, near Kohl's. He's always done good work for me, but depending on his availability, I might hit up that NTB. Do you know the guy's name?

JR

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Good to know. I have a buddy that's in the import tuner scene at the Firestone in north Mount P, near Kohl's. He's always done good work for me, but depending on his availability, I might hit up that NTB. Do you know the guy's name?

JR
I don't remember his name, but he is the only guy working there with a built sleeper WRX. He is sort of chubby with longer hair, if that helps.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't remember his name, but he is the only guy working there with a built sleeper WRX.
Copy. I guess I can call and just ask for the WRX guy!

You been to the Mount P C&C lately? I just moved back, and while the Facebook group was shut down, it seems people are still gathering weekly...

JR

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Copy. I guess I can call and just ask for the WRX guy!

You been to the Mount P C&C lately? I just moved back, and while the Facebook group was shut down, it seems people are still gathering weekly...

JR
I last went around 2 months ago. It is still very active. I think the FB page was deleted due to a lot of fighting. A couple younger guys did some burnouts for little kids watching, and that started a huge argument. The guys apologized, but still some were not happy about it. I get the safety concern, but younger guys aren't always using their heads. Gotta learn the rules of etiquette as we go. I would love to make it out this Saturday, but it will depend on if the weather cooperates.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I last went around 2 months ago. It is still very active. I think the FB page was deleted due to a lot of fighting. A couple younger guys did some burnouts for little kids watching, and that started a huge argument. The guys apologized, but still some were not happy about it. I get the safety concern, but younger guys aren't always using their heads. Gotta learn the rules of etiquette as we go. I would love to make it out this Saturday, but it will depend on if the weather cooperates.
Nice. I was in Florida for about 15 months, finally back. We've driven by after our Saturday morning Lowe's run, and have seen a pretty good turnout. I hadn't heard about the burnouts, but I remember a guy on his brother's liter bike screaming out of there and laying it down in front of the mattress place. They had to strap the bike to a flatbed to get it home. I saw that Atlanta Bread Company closed, which is no great loss. That place sucked. Honestly, I'd love for them to move it to Belle Hall, where Charleston Bagel Company is, but I don't think the parking lot is big enough.

I was thinking about going Saturday, but I think the whole weekend is going to be a washout.

JR

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to C&C on Saturday, and there was a HUGE turnout, I'd say there were 250+ cars. There were probably five McLarens that came down from Charlotte, a couple Lambos, at least a half dozen Vipers, the usually bunch of Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Hellcats, etc, a gorgeous (and modified) Lotus Evora, a beautiful Packard, and a blue on white GT350.

Also, I installed the Steeda Stop the Hop kit on Saturday, had an appointment to get my new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires installed and get an alignment done by my buddy at Firestone, got there on Sunday morning. Waited at the Starbucks for my wife to pick me up, then went to new Home Depot (super nice, BTW) and got a call from Firestone. They claimed my buddy had called in sick. I send him a message, and he said he had a scheduled vacation day yesterday. They didn't have anyone to work on my car, as their other alignment tech had a 12 hour backlog. I went and grabbed the vehicle and made an appointment with "The Subaru Guy" at NTB for Thursday. Hopefully they don't cancel!

JR

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I went to C&C on Saturday, and there was a HUGE turnout, I'd say there were 250+ cars. There were probably five McLarens that came down from Charlotte, a couple Lambos, at least a half dozen Vipers, the usually bunch of Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Hellcats, etc, a gorgeous (and modified) Lotus Evora, a beautiful Packard, and a blue on white GT350.

Also, I installed the Steeda Stop the Hop kit on Saturday, had an appointment to get my new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires installed and get an alignment done by my buddy at Firestone, got there on Sunday morning. Waited at the Starbucks for my wife to pick me up, then went to new Home Depot (super nice, BTW) and got a call from Firestone. They claimed my buddy had called in sick. I send him a message, and he said he had a scheduled vacation day yesterday. They didn't have anyone to work on my car, as their other alignment tech had a 12 hour backlog. I went and grabbed the vehicle and made an appointment with "The Subaru Guy" at NTB for Thursday. Hopefully they don't cancel!

JR
I was at cars and coffee saturday as well. However, I didn't arrive until 9:30am. There was a guy with a black 18 right behind me, as well as a couple older gen GTs. Turnout was impressive, but I guess the weather helped.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was at cars and coffee saturday as well. However, I didn't arrive until 9:30am. There was a guy with a black 18 right behind me, as well as a couple older gen GTs. Turnout was impressive, but I guess the weather helped.
We left about 9:45. Was the black 18 parked next to a red 16? I was the red car. The black GT was a PP1 car, and my buddy Matthew was parked there with a white 15 GT/PP.

JR

OP
OP
bootlegger

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
We left about 9:45. Was the black 18 parked next to a red 16? I was the red car. The black GT was a PP1 car, and my buddy Matthew was parked there with a white 15 GT/PP.

JR
I may have seen your car when I first arrived, but it wasn't there when I started wandering around.
Sponsored