Sponsored

OSRAM LEDriving DRL + Fog light review.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Here's another solution to the ugly DRL and fog that Ford hindered us with.

Its an alternative to the tri-bar or replacement LED bulb replacements others have gone for.

The items are from Osram, and are called the LEDriving 101 units.

+ Direct replacement complete unit
+ Uses original mounting points
+ Easy(ish) install
+ Look good!
+ Available at your dealer

These can be bought from any Ford dealer via the accessories catalogue - they are (officially) meant for various other models, so you wont find it listed for the Mustang. But they fit straight in to the OE mounting points and connect as easily as any other solution.

Heres the link to the Ford catalogue: Part number 1 875 877

http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/focus/2011/styling/lighting-systems#

From my own experience the Ford dealer is the cheapest place to buy them from. £189 in the UK, or €220 in Europe.

The kit consists of one electronics module, two sealed lamp units, and various mounting bits n bobs.

From looking at the instructions and what comes included, id say this is probably an easy enough thing to do as a DIY install. However, I chose to let Ford do it for me.... reasoning: I bought the lights from them, and if I let them install them, any issues = their problem and its all guaranteed work.

In the end this was a VERY wise decision, as the first set I had installed 2 weeks ago had a fault. Today (under guarantee) the lights and the module have been replaced under guarantee and the extra labour (2 1/2 hours!) was all for free.

I paid €440 in total. Here in NL main dealer labour rates are €110 per hour. :crazy: But thats paid itself back. The original units had an internal wiring fault, hence the issue.

Now, the lights themselves.

They look great IMO
They are very, very bright!
If installed at Ford there are zero warranty issues.
Absolute minimal loom modification

Although I would ultimately prefer the tri-bar DRLs, theres no way im taking light units to pieces and doing major loom modification to a brand new car. I know others are much more comfortable doing this, but for now I wanted a non-invasive solution.

The physical installation of the light units themselves is <20mins work. Access via the wheel arch is good enough and the front bumper can stay in place.

If you install them yourself (at ÂŁ190) its similar in price to importing a set of OE US spec LED fog units, but that would still leave you with the DRL issue.

I also had them installed (slight wiring mod, to provide constant 12v) so that they remain illuminated even when the indicators are in use. They can also be installed in original way, so that the DRLs are extinguished when the indicators are in use.

Im very, very happy with these. Recommended :)

EDIT: These are also fully E marked, so will pass TuV etc if that is important......

DRL

Fog light

(unlit) unit, looks totally OE:

Box

Sponsored

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
I had already seen these at Conrad for 299. The 220 is pretty decent, may want to ask them to fit a set when it's going in for the first time maintenance.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I had already seen these at Conrad for 299. The 220 is pretty decent, may want to ask them to fit a set when it's going in for the first time maintenance.
I always find Conrad to be crazy expensive....

I Paid €200 for the install (approx. 2hrs of labour), but as mentioned im now happy I did it as they replaced the units FoC incl. the extra labour. So €440 all-in.

It was at Van Mossel Ford in Roermond if that helps anyone in the future. Awesome service, very pleased with them. :clap2:

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Good post. Been hovering over the 'add to cart' button for about a week myself, looking at something like this. Was looking at an Alibaba/ebay spesh but one of the reasons for holding off was worry about the quality/fitment. Those Osram units would inspire a bit more confidence.

See pic/link below for the ones I'm (or was) considering. I like the way they are dark when not turned on.

The fog is 'plug and play' but the DRL hasn't got the same connector, so will take a bit of customisation. Was going to post on the 'fog light section' to ask those who have removed the original unit. I don't want to hack into the existing wiring (in case I want to put the OEM units back), so would be looking to fashion some sort of connector.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/eeMr..._1&btsid=cd3ae112-1a0b-4f67-b4cf-d7f31e895e58

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Can you post pattern pictures on these?

Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Good to have another alternative!
Did you mistakenly put the same close-up picture for drl and fog, or did they use the same light?

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Good to have another alternative!
Did you mistakenly put the same close-up picture for drl and fog, or did they use the same light?
Yes I did!

Here is the correct fog light pic:

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Anyone with experience on alternative FOG and DRL other than Osram?
Not really. I'm quite happy with the Osrams, although I had to cut a whole buch of wires before the DRL function would finally shut up. I only use them as fog lights.

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Got my Osrams installed as well. Look great and very powerfull DRL lights !