Sponsored

Debating trading in the R for a more family oriented vehicle....

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You said your wife has a Highlander, and you said you already have an Audi S3 as your DD. Why is this even a question? Put a back seat in the R so they can enjoy it with you on a Sunday cruise (when the weather gets better, I suppose). I have a forward facing car seat in my 2018 GT passenger side rear seat that even my 7 year sits in. A rear facing (recommended until they are at least two years old now) probably wouldn't fit...Another option, is sell your S3, take advantage of the nice trade-in, and get yourself an M3: Four doors, 425 hp, agile, good looking, fast car.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
^ My S3 serves my work commute beautifully. I love it and will drive it into the ground, or hit a deer, whichever comes first. Both boys are in diapers, so leaning towards a family oriented weekend toy. We’ll see.
either get a rear seat for the R

or (as a completely different weekend toy) - get a Tesla Model 3 performance. we have one alongside the 350, and it is a surprisingly fun car to drive. Four doors with backseat, faster than the 350/R at least up to the 1/4 mile (3.3 0-60, 11.75 or so in the 1/4), and handles fairly well. If you ordered soon - I bet you could still get it by the end of the year and get the $7500 tax credit

option 3 - trade the S3 for the Tesla above for DD/wkend fun with the family and keep the R :like:

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You don't need a rear seat. Just bolt two car seats in.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I am not sure of getting a Prius like Tomster said, but if the back seat is a priority for the family then get something. The Trackhawk is fast but will not provide the fun of the R. I don't like the quality reputation of Chrysler products, but it would thrill 4 people all at the same time down the dragstrip.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I just put the R away for the winter. I probably put less than 500 miles on it this past driving season. I’ve been blessed with a 2nd boy this past October and now have 2 boys in diapers. I was impulsed to buy an R in the summer of 2017 because I found a unicorn MSRP deal at a time when it was unheard of. I guess you can say it was the thrill of the hunt, and I love the hunt.

Years ago my brother bought a garage queen WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, sight unseen. I was tasked with picking it up and delivering it to his home. I live in Ohio, the SRT was in Ohio, and my brother lives in NC. The drive from Ohio to NC was a revalation. The SUV handled and accelerated like no SUV could at the time. I became an instant fan.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago...I’ve always been intrigued with the 2018 Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, but thought the sticker prices were insane. Some of them crest $100K. F that. That was early 2018, and now there are over 1000 nationwide collecting dust on dealer lots. I reached out to a few dealers for shits and giggles and through negotiations am close to securing a stripper Trackhawk (MSRP just under $88K in True Blue Pearl Coat) for about 13% off MSRP. I’m getting what I think is a very generous trade in value on the R, $62K. With the trade in tax savings it’s really $66,200.

I know I would miss the R, particularly the handling and the sound....but after 2 years, I’ve only got 1500 miles on it and have yet to track it. It’s mostly due to lack of time. If I make time, I feel bad for not being with my kids. I would use the Trackhawk as our weekend runabout with the family. I know my 2.5yr old would get a kick out of it. I personally think the SRT/Trackhawk GC’s look classy and badass. They shouldn’t exist....they are crazy fast (some owners are getting 11.4 quarter mile times in good weather stock) with instant power and equally rediculous fuel economy (owners post MPG’s equal to what I get with the R).

I’m looking for people’s thoughts on my dilemma. All opinions are welcome. This has been the best forum I have been involved in.
How about this. Panamera Turbo. Probably the closest thing to an R with 4 doors and a hatch! 550HP Zero to 60 in 3.6 top speed 190mph and all wheel drive.

porsche-zoom2.jpg

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I like the Trackhawk a lot. I think it would be such a blast to drive. If it’s what you want, and it’s not a spur of the moment decision, do it!

You mentioned enjoying the hunt, I am the same way. I’ve had to talk myself out of a few vehicles because I was able to score a great deal on a car I wasn’t in love with.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I’m looking for people’s thoughts on my dilemma. All opinions are welcome. This has been the best forum I have been involved in.
You already have two "family cars". Must every car in your stable have the same top priority? If they do, which one is going to end up being the one you don't first grab the keys for.

Norm

jedirocker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
visualuniverse.org
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
After I bought my GT350 in April, I immediately went shopping for a cheap daily driver to haul the kids in. Set a budget for $17K and found a 3 yr-old luxury sport Camry (yeah, I know..."Camry" seems like an oxymoron next to the words "luxury sport"). Consider getting another car to be the DD.

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I put the R rear seats in and sold the delete part removed for almost as much as the seats cost. Took about 1.5-2 hours to diy and about $250 out of pocket. https://www.steeda.com/ford-racing-...installation-kit-15-16-gt350r-m-63840-ms.html

I already have a 2 seat Ferrari and Aston Martin and needed to be able to take kids to daycare. Still pretty much the fastest car at track days despite 30 whole lbs heavier now ;)

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
After I bought my GT350 in April, I immediately went shopping for a cheap daily driver to haul the kids in. Set a budget for $17K and found a 3 yr-old luxury sport Camry (yeah, I know..."Camry" seems like an oxymoron next to the words "luxury sport"). Consider getting another car to be the DD.
OP has an Audi S3 and he hasn't been driving the GT350. It's taking up space and depreciating.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Get a rear seat kit in the R and put some MP4S tires on it and drive the crap out of it.

If it's gonna be under a car cover for most of the year, then get the Trackhawk. You won't regret it!

Edward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Lightning
FYI, the rear seat kits are no longer available. I’ve been looking for one.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Sounds like advice on a girlfriend. Spur of the moment decision cause she was attractive and available but you aren't really in love with her. How do I know? You only put 1500 miles on her so far. You think you're gonna miss her but you'd rather be going out with someone else.
Sponsored