Heated / Cooled seats stopped working - no more "click" - can't find the relay

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Maybe a month or so ago - pushed the button for the heated seats and... they never turn on.

The lights on the buttons work fine for low, medium, and high. I can switch from heat to cool - both sides - driver and passenger - but I never get that "click" that they turned on and the seats never heat or cool.

I'm pretty positive that click that comes from the passenger footwell is a relay clicking on and off.

'Been through the manual back and forth - checked any fuse having to do with climate control, AC, accessories, etc... All fuses look fine.

Any idea what else it could be? Is it another fuse that's not necessarily labeled for the seats ?

Could it be the relay itself? Any idea which one?

No big deal other then it's snowing now, lol and kinda want them to work.

Everything else works fine so far as I can tell - power seats, all ac, audio, wipers, etc...
Sponsored

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Well - I found the problem.

There is a separate heated / cooled seat control box - it's just under the passenger side seat

Pulled the main connector and this is what I found. Something went wrong.

How the hell do I fix this? I really don't think I trust the dealer to do electrical work

New control box
New harness - who knows where the cable runs to
and - what caused it in the first place and will it happen again if i replace everything?

IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The good news is you you found the one of the symptoms. The bad news is you haven’t fo7nd the cause. I’d probably pull the seat upholstery and see if you have a short in the seat heater element.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Take THAT back to the Dealer ASAP, don’t mess around.

If you try to fix or repair yourself and it goes really wrong (damaging other electrical components tied to that same harness, shorting other wires or worse yet, interior fire), you’re SOL!

That is a serious problem and Ford should look into that for sure. There’s no reason that connector should have flared like that at all. There has to be a short somewhere in that harness or the module which caused the burn damage you're seeing.

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Yeah... probably a good idea.

Can't remember if I got an extended warranty or not or what it covered; just about to break 40k miles.

Sponsored

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Wow...

I wonder if this problem is inherent only to the 2015-2016’s, seeing that both uploaded pics are from a 2015 and 2016 Owner?

@ydoyoucare - good catch on that older TSB!

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Did you get this repaired already? Found the below TSB related to an 07-08 Expedition which it looks like has the exact same connector and refers to the same damaged pin "M".

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/adchambers3398/2012-01-25_024147_tsb08-23-11.pdf

Found in this thread which has more info and pics: https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/11...0-heated-cooled-seat-dscm-harness-repair.html
No, I haven't. Not yet.

So... get the new harness and DIY or let the dealer f' it up?

For $40 I'm feeling pretty comfortable doing it myself and not being without my car for x days while they figure it out. It's only 11 wires. What, hour or 2 between unbolting the seat, removing the module, soldering a new harness and all back together again. And I'm at an advantage that I can open the top and get the seat in and out easier, lol...

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I'll have to check mine in the spring, it's put away for the winter. But my heat and cool never worked from the day I got it and it's a 17

ydoucare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
No, I haven't. Not yet.

So... get the new harness and DIY or let the dealer f' it up?

For $40 I'm feeling pretty comfortable doing it myself and not being without my car for x days while they figure it out. It's only 11 wires. What, hour or 2 between unbolting the seat, removing the module, soldering a new harness and all back together again. And I'm at an advantage that I can open the top and get the seat in and out easier, lol...
Yeah, looks like they're trying to run too much current through that single ground pin, and the solution is to just split off the ground wire and run it through 2 pins. It looks like maybe some GM brands (Cadillac in particular) have also had the same exact problem because they share supplier. Looks like the DCSM actually has 2 ground pins already, but they cheaped out and didn't want to run the extra wire in the harness. I'd do it myself, personally, because i'm confident I could do a better job than the dealer would.

Last edited:

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
so I attempted to remove the the M pin but could not seem to remove it. I finally gave in and ordered another connector harness and will wire it with the TSB change of splitting the load between pin L and pin M. Will post results after.

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
So I ordered the replacement connector kit (WPT-928). After it arrived I cut the wires to a length I wanted and began the replacement. A little advice, make sure you mark the two green and orange wires they are identical and are right next to each other. I didn't and had a pretty good time figuring out which wire went where.

This replacement fixed my issue.

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG

Mrpopper239

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leonardo
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I ordered the replacement connector kit (WPT-928). After it arrived I cut the wires to a length I wanted and began the replacement. A little advice, make sure you mark the two green and orange wires they are identical and are right next to each other. I didn't and had a pretty good time figuring out which wire went where.

This replacement fixed my issue.

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG
Hi I own a 2016 mustang gt and I wired the new part but my driver seat clicks on, as in if it’s working but the cooled function doesn’t work, it just heats up. The passenger seat works fine cools down. I’m thinking maybe I got the matching green wires messed up? Appreciate any help! Thank you!
Sponsored