Sponsored

Throttle response improvement : Steeda throttle body spacer or BBK Throttle body ?

tybo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 convertible Performance
Hello guys,

I am looking for the easy improvement mods for my GT 2017 convertible, EU model. I made the exhaust,now the next steps will be the air intake and....

And I discovered those two different mods for the throttle response (and the power, really?)

First of all I have one question: improving the throttle response will occur in every driving mode ?
I mean : the NORMAL mode will have the throttle response of the other SPORT(+)/TRACKmodes and those sporty modes will have too an improved throttle response?

Then other questions, I am surprised by the offers of STeeda and BBK. The price is really different?
So what can be more efficient?
You have to use one or the other? or the two can be mixed?

Thank you for your feedbacks
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
My biggest improvement in throttle response came from installing a PedalMax and I've had no issues with it. It makes the pedal respond in a linear fashion instead of needing to be hammered all the way down for good times.

In terms of better result from those two, probably the actual throttle body but neither will change all that much (at least based on the 3.7, I know the 5.0 is different but can't imagine 1% change on my engine will be a 20% change on yours).

If you want a real difference in throttle response and performance, you're going to be looking at a tune.

OP
OP

tybo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My biggest improvement in throttle response came from installing a PedalMax and I've had no issues with it. It makes the pedal respond in a linear fashion instead of needing to be hammered all the way down for good times.

In terms of better result from those two, probably the actual throttle body but neither will change all that much (at least based on the 3.7, I know the 5.0 is different but can't imagine 1% change on my engine will be a 20% change on yours).

If you want a real difference in throttle response and performance, you're going to be looking at a tune.
I am not sure a pedalmax is equal to mecanical parts...

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure a pedalmax is equal to mecanical parts...
I didn't say it was but it does a lot more than a throttle body does if that is the only change you're doing. Pedal feel is a big part of the driving experience and it enhances it 100% and doesn't void any part of the warranty while doing so.

OP
OP

tybo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, let me check my first post, because maybe you didnt understand my questions...

I will try to write it more clearly

Sponsored

OP
OP

tybo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I think all is okay..
I was just wondering which kind of improvements the 2 parts I mentionned were bringing, and what are the differences between each other...

but I keep the pedalmax as an easy one too.
Do you think there is a decidated topic here?

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
No aftermarket throttle body is going to give you a performance gain. NONE! Unless you are going with forced induction, then any TB other than stock is a waste of time and money, and will more than likely make your driving experience/drivability worse.

To get the results you are looking for, you are going to need a tune; plain and simple.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I read the post and answered based on what you asked. Of those two, the throttle body. But I would recommend neither and get a Pedalmax or for a proper improvement, a tune. There was no confusion on my part.

Not Worth It:
  • Throttle body*
  • Throttle body spacer
*unless you're tuned, with larger CAI and no other air restrictions (such as intake manifold)

Worth it and keeps warranty:
  • Pedalmax
Worth it:
  • Tune

OP
OP

tybo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If you do the steeda pack, you're set and probably won't be wanting any more throttle response! The tune is one of the biggest changes to driveability for your car. If you're going that route, I say just do the pack and then wait to see if you desire any further changes. The spacer still won't change all that much, but if you want to do a throttle body at that point, you'll get more out of it (with a revised tune).

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
No! Do not get a pedal max. Get a CAI and a tune. Done. Throttle response fixed the real way.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So many people confuse response with torque curves...thus pedalmax and pedal commander sales. I can tell you for 100% certainty (because I've spoken with the supervisor for 5.0L engine calibration many times) that the stock, normal mode Mustang driver demand table is positive exponential (i.e. It gives more than commanded on most of the curve), so actually more aggressive than linear. These devices just make it closer to an on/off switch and function like a guitar amp. It's just adding gain to the signal. Anyone with belief (because that's all it is) that it's doing anything more than that doesn't know how it works. The pcm controls the signal to the throttle body, and the pedal signal is fed to the pcm.

5LITERV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Here is my experience with the throttle response since I have tried almost everything that's been discussed here. When I got the car I absolutely hated the way the stock throttle feels. It just ruined the driving experience for me. Since I wanted to stay warranty compliant I didn't want to get a tune at first so I got pedalmax. That was better than stock in a way but because it reduces the pedal travel by increasing the signal it made the pedal feel more like on off so it wasn't ideal. Then I got the adjustment knob. I set the input at around 70% while in sport mode. That was a little better but it still didn't feel right. Then I got an air intake. There was some improvement with the Intake but not much overall. Then I got the BBK throttle body and that felt same as the intake. After that I said screw warranty and I got Bama 91 performance tune. That made a big difference. I had to reduce the pedal max to only 20%. Since Bama sent me their 91 race tune as well I decided to try that and see how that feels. And that was it. The race tune finally solved the throttle issue for me. I had to take the pedalmax off as it was no longer needed. I still have the intake and BBK TB on as the tune I got is set up for it. If I had to do it all over again I would start with the race tune see how that feels by it self. Hope that helps.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The Bama race tune probably removed that feeling because the torque limiting in the tune has been reduced or removed entirely. Removing the torque limiting in the tune makes it more responsive. It's not throttle response its you being able to access the full torque more easily.
Sponsored