Question about 18-19 5.0 engines

OP
OP

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
If those pistons are rocking that much then the clearances should have been easily detected and these engines should not have been released for sale. I had a 4.6 bored .020 with forged pistons fitted and it was supercharged with a Kennebell. That engine had piston slap. Sounded like a can of rocks and steadily decreased while warming up and then no noise at all when at operating temperature. Tomorrow I'll take my aviation tin snips and cut those filters. Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sounds like they did change the wrist pin location. From the J&E piston design article:

"To best service the Coyote engine platform, JE has developed a dedicated forging that has been specifically designed for these engines and their high horsepower capabilities. It utilizes one of JE's Forged Side Relief forgings, which offers many benefits. Chief among them are the reduced skirt width and a shorter wrist pin, which reduce reciprocating weight without reducing strength.

The narrow skirt reduces piston contact to the cylinder wall to minimize friction, while the pin location is offset toward the major thrust side of the piston to help reduce piston noise, critical for those engines which are run on the street."
They have adjusted it, which is necessary, but it may also not be as perfect as one hopes. Like I said, I think the design has started to exceed what it's capable of. You can only balance a piston and shorten a skirt so much. You have to remember, when the fuel ignites, it never ignites in a perfect way to prevent some rocking of the piston. That's physically impossible.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If those pistons are rocking that much then the clearances should have been easily detected and these engines should not have been released for sale. I had a 4.6 bored .020 with forged pistons fitted and it was supercharged with a Kennebell. That engine had piston slap. Sounded like a can of rocks and steadily decreased while warming up and then no noise at all when at operating temperature. Tomorrow I'll take my aviation tin snips and cut those filters. Thanks for the replies.
That's why if you take the car out, and run it at 3,500rpm for about 10 minutes down the road, then listen for the tick, it will be almost completely silent after the block swells from heavy load. I know mine sure does.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
They have adjusted it, which is necessary, but it may also not be as perfect as one hopes. Like I said, I think the design has started to exceed what it's capable of. You can only balance a piston and shorten a skirt so much. You have to remember, when the fuel ignites, it never ignites in a perfect way to prevent some rocking of the piston. That's physically impossible.
True ... but seems that not all Gen3 Coyotes tick or rattle. So that makes me think the issue is more related to manufacturing quality to meet the build specifications. But the design is right on the very edge of pushing the limits, so manufacturing has to be almost perfect to make it work correctly. If there is any variance (even a little bit) in the specified parts tolerances, then things go south and the engines become noisy with very little use.

OP
OP

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
You had that posted in another thread and I went and did it. Did not make any difference. It's why I posted this thread to find out from other members if they always ended up with metal in the oil from piston slap.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You had that posted in another thread and I went and did it. Did not make any difference. It's why I posted this thread to find out from other members if they always ended up with metal in the oil from piston slap.
Ah, OK. I guess it doesn't work for everyone. I should try that again with mine, and see if it still works. If it doesn't, then to me that just means it's getting even worse.

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
Ah, OK. I guess it doesn't work for everyone. I should try that again with mine, and see if it still works. If it doesn't, then to me that just means it's getting even worse.
and all those engines they had on test cells before releasing the engines never did this? or are you all saying they did and ford said "fuck it lets build a few hundred thousand in trucks an cars and see what happens? "

OP
OP

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I can't say what's in the minds of the powers that be at Ford. They definitely can't sell Mustangs and F-150s without the 5.0 for folks who want those engines. But they can sell them knowing there is a problem and a certain percentage will go bad.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and all those engines they had on test cells before releasing the engines never did this? or are you all saying they did and ford said "fuck it lets build a few hundred thousand in trucks an cars and see what happens? "
I'd bet the development and test engines were manufactured and built very carefully to drawings and specifications ... way more than what they do when banging out hundreds of engines a day in a motor factory with probably lacks some critical QA checks.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'd bet the development and test engines were manufactured and built very carefully to drawings and specifications ... way more than what they do when banging out hundreds of engines a day in a motor factory with probably lacks some critical QA checks.
What still baffles me, is why the Euro RHD versions of the same car, built at the same time, at the same factory with identical engines, have very few to almost no issues with the BBQ tick. This one really baffles me. I can't help but think the A/C mounted on the right might be exacerbating the piston slap issue due to the crank being pulled to one side. Heck, I dunno.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What still baffles me, is why the Euro RHD versions of the same car, built at the same time, at the same factory with identical engines, have very few to almost no issues with the BBQ tick. This one really baffles me. I can't help but think the A/C mounted on the right might be exacerbating the piston slap issue due to the crank being pulled to one side. Heck, I dunno.
The car in the linked thread below is a UK car that had the BBQ tick. There have been a few reported exported Mustangs with the BBQ tick. Keep in mind that the number of exported car owners on this board is tiny compared to the US members.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

Not sure if any exported 2018+ members have reported any engine noises.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The car in the linked thread below is a UK car that had the BBQ tick. There have been a few reported exported Mustangs with the BBQ tick. Keep in mind that the number of exported car owners on this board is tiny compared to the US members.

I know there's been a few reported issues, but nowhere near the same number. The member from Australia, and also the other guy from Japan has said that they haven't really had anyone with this issue. Maybe a couple, but that's it. They have their own local forums and clubs they frequent as well. But here in the states, it seems like it's more than 1 out of 10 having this problem.

OP
OP

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I cut the oil filters. The OEM with eighty miles has silver particles with a few copper or brass colors spattered around. The eight hundred mile filter has half and half mix of silver and copper or brass colors. On both samples the particles settle out of the oil. None of the particles are large and none are stuck in the paper pleats. I did not look at the paper with a microscope. All of the particles are very small just like the metallic in my car paint. Magnetic Metallic. I worked a while at separating the particles out of the oil. The first filter had enough to coat a coin the size of a silver dollar. The second had particles that would barely cover a nickel.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Copper or brass colored particles is probably rod and/or crank journal bearing material.

OP
OP

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
That is what I was thinking also. So that means these are tri-metal bearings and the first coating is worn off into the copper.
Sponsored