Sponsored

Will the GT500 have DSSV Dampers?

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Well if you compare the Ford GT to a high end sports car like the 911 GT3 it's significantly lighter with significantly more hp. What common cars out there are so superior in weight and hp that you feel the Ford GT becomes a joke?
GT3 is actually lighter by a few kg.

The civic type R for example is 100kg lighter.

Ferrari, McLaren (720s) are both lighter.

The cayman and boxster are both lighter, mid engine and both aluminum with no carbon.

The GT is 3354, which is embarrassing considering it’s a V6 and carbon tub.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/gt/2017/2017-ford-gt-first-test-review/

It’s only 300lbs lighter than a GT350R. Think about that.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GT3 is actually lighter by a few kg.

The civic type R for example is 100kg lighter.

The cayman and boxster are both lighter, mid engine and both aluminum with no carbon.

The GT is 3354, which is embarrassing considering it’s a V6 and carbon tub.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/gt/2017/2017-ford-gt-first-test-review/

It’s only 300lbs lighter than a GT350R. Think about that.
I thought the Ford GT was 3050. Are you thinking of the 2006 Ford GT?

The 911 GT3 is 3150.
The Cayman and Boxster have no power. Not much weight is needed if you don't have power. Everything gets smaller and lighter. I agree that they are good, but they are in a different class IMO.

I believe you that the best of the best such as Ferrari and McLaren offer cars that are lighter. There are some cars available (to very few people) that are better in nearly every way than the Ford GT (in my opinion). That hardly makes a heavier car become a joke.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I thought the Ford GT was 3050. Are you thinking of the 2006 Ford GT?

The 911 GT3 is 3150.
The Cayman and Boxster have no power. Not much weight is needed if you don't have power. Everything gets smaller and lighter. I agree that they are good, but they are in a different class IMO.

I believe you that the best of the best such as Ferrari and McLaren offer cars that are lighter. There are some cars available (to very few people) that are better in nearly every way than the Ford GT (in my opinion). That hardly makes a heavier car become a joke.
I never mentioned power. I’m talking weight.

Check the motor trend article. Ford struggled with the weight of the GT since day one. They made insane outrageous claims and in the end claimed 3050 (DRY) and it came to 3354 as tested.

Insanity.

At one point an exec was quoted as saying 2700ish. Lol!!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I never mentioned power. I’m talking weight.

Check the motor trend article. Ford struggled with the weight of the GT since day one. They made insane outrageous claims and in the end claimed 3050 (DRY) and it came to 3354 as tested.

Insanity.

At one point an exec was quoted as saying 2700ish. Lol!!
I guess that's what I get for believing the first number that comes up in a google search. Did the heavy GT come with all the lighter weight options, or was it heavier than some?

Regarding the weight thing. My bicycle is super light. And you don't care (or at least you shouldn't). If you build a car that makes no power it doesn't need a strong transmission, strong driveshafts, big brakes, power adders, etc. etc. So absolutely it's unfair to compare the weight of a 300 hp car to the weight of a 650 hp car.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
No they aren't. Ferrari is notorious for lying about their weight. Look up any Ferrari that someone actually weighed themselves and they are hundreds of pounds heavier than Ferrari's claimed "wet" weight, which is far from their often marketed "dry" weights. McLaren is guilty of the same thing, but not as bad. The 720S is a 3,200lb car 'wet', and on the road, and it does not have the hydraulic adjustable ride height, hydraulic front and rear active aero components, dual spring rate suspension, or pushrod suspension that the GT has. All of which adds weight. The GT also has far larger aluminum structures front and rear due to the pushrod suspension, while the McLaren's more traditional coilover layout is lighter and uses more carbon in the tub of the chassis. So the 720S is only ~150lbs lighter than the GT with a far more simple layout.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
No they aren't. Ferrari is notorious for lying about their weight. Look up any Ferrari that someone actually weighed themselves and they are hundreds of pounds heavier than Ferrari's claimed "wet" weight, which is far from their often marketed "dry" weights. McLaren is guilty of the same thing, but not as bad. The 720S is a 3,200lb car 'wet', and on the road, and it does not have the hydraulic adjustable ride height, hydraulic front and rear active aero components, dual spring rate suspension, or pushrod suspension that the GT has. All of which adds weight. The GT also has far larger aluminum structures front and rear due to the pushrod suspension, while the McLaren's more traditional coilover layout is lighter and uses more carbon in the tub of the chassis. So the 720S is only ~150lbs lighter than the GT with a far more simple layout.
720S with a V8 is 3167, 187lbs delta.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-mclaren-720s-first-test-review/

I was also referring to the Pista, which is 150lbs lighter than the 3412lbs 488GTB.

Also with a V8.

https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/ferrari-488-gtb-2017-best-drivers-car/

Look, my point is I’m not in love with the GT and I’ve been to an invite only unveiling at Fred Philips’ place (google - he has a collection that Jay Leno Visits).

I like it, I love the ford built it, I just feel they’re not in the game enough to make the best road version of a race car. They’re better at making the race car version. That’s all.
JPEG image.jpeg
JPEG image 3.jpeg
JPEG image 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I guess that's what I get for believing the first number that comes up in a google search. Did the heavy GT come with all the lighter weight options, or was it heavier than some?

Regarding the weight thing. My bicycle is super light. And you don't care (or at least you shouldn't). If you build a car that makes no power it doesn't need a strong transmission, strong driveshafts, big brakes, power adders, etc. etc. So absolutely it's unfair to compare the weight of a 300 hp car to the weight of a 650 hp car.
Agree with your statement. Well said.

I was using the mid engine cayman as a structural example.

But back on topic of DSSV, sorry I took this thread off topic. I would like to see them in the 500. Multimatic makes them for the GT4 race car and I inquired for my base 350. They said an engineer would get back to me and price but they swept me under the rug. Bastards lol.

Last edited:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
720S with a V8 is 3167, 187lbs delta.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-mclaren-720s-first-test-review/

I was also referring to the Pista, which is 150lbs lighter than the 3412lbs 488GTB.

Also with a V8.

https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/ferrari-488-gtb-2017-best-drivers-car/

Look, my point is I’m not in love with the GT and I’ve been to an invite only unveiling at Fred Philips’ place (google - he has a collection that Jay Leno Visits).

I like it, I love the ford built it, I just feel they’re not in the game enough to make the best road version of a race car. They’re better at making the race car version. That’s all.
JPEG image.jpeg
JPEG image 3.jpeg
JPEG image 2.jpeg
Is that a full tank of gas? 3,200lbs is.

I doubt Pistas weigh 150lbs less than the 488, the same way 458 Speciales weren't 200lbs lighter than the 458 when owners actually weighed them.

The GT was never meant to be the "ultimate street car". It was designed to win LeMans. And it did. And they sell street versions. Meanwhile Ferrari and McLaren make street cars that they race. And McLaren only races in GT3 with its car.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Is that a full tank of gas? 3,200lbs is.

I doubt Pistas weigh 150lbs less than the 488, the same way 458 Speciales weren't 200lbs lighter than the 458 when owners actually weighed them.

The GT was never meant to be the "ultimate street car". It was designed to win LeMans. And it did. And they sell street versions. Meanwhile Ferrari and McLaren make street cars that they race. And McLaren only races in GT3 with its car.
That’s what I’m saying. The GT is a much better race car.

You don’t have to get defensive, I’m just saying I don’t love the GT and the 720 and Pista are better. We’re talking street cars here, not on a track.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
That’s what I’m saying. The GT is a much better race car.

You don’t have to get defensive, I’m just saying I don’t love the GT and the 720 and Pista are better. We’re talking street cars here, not on a track.
I'm not defensive. I'm just pointing out that the 720 & Pista aren't that much lighter (if the Pista is lighter at all) and they are far simpler cars with more traditional layouts. If the GT didn't have all the heavy hydraulics or adjustable ride height, it would probably be a good amount lighter than the 720. If it were designed as a street car first, it would probably have a 5.0L V8. I agree with you the 720 & Pista are better bench racing, C&C, street machines than the GT. There's nothing wrong with that.

Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Just to add to the conversation about GT vs GT350 weight, the GT has weight extensive active aero that the GT350 doesn't have, plus adjustable ride height. Sure it's heavier than ideal, but those 2 things take up a lot of that, and are awesome in my opinion.

Edit: i see those things were addressed and moved on from, but the comment that the GT is only 300 pounds lighter is what sparked my comment

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm fairly certain it was Raj who said it, but the car ended up being heavier than initially rumored/suggested because they added the active aero and dual suspension system.

But they did say that even with the weight penalty, the car was faster. So they went with it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Stuntman said:
Why couldn't the GT500 DSSVs be electronically adjustable as well?
I've chewed on this one for a bit. You posed an intriguing question with respect to the DSSV's. Not sure of the complexities involved in doing that with a spool valve damper but it sure raised an eyebrow when I saw this...

https://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=livevalve-raptor

And it looks like the damper controls were done by Ford.

The advancement is in the dampers and Ford developed the controls in-house, said F-150 Raptor vehicle dynamics lead Chris Paiva.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/for...-refresh-brings-improved-shocks-recaro-seats/

Wanna build a better ZL1 1LE? It might just start with making the best damper out there even better. Let's hope so.

Last edited:

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
sorry to hijack, but man....If Ford Performance gets a Bronco to play with....after seeing that fox website......:fingerscrossed:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I hear some rumblings recently about two SUV's that FP had their hands on becoming available in or by 2020 and that neither was a Ranger. I suppose the Bronco might be a possibility.
Sponsored