Sponsored

S550 Torture Test Complete: 5 days, 2k Miles, 10k Feet Mountain Passes, 10hrs "Track", 4hrs @ 120mph

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Drive to the Stelvio Pass, from the Swiss side, and we’ll reengage this conversation.
So, do a nice drive in the Mountains? Yeah, I can do that here, in quite a few places.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Mike,
Very nice article and really liked your YouTube videos. My wife and I hit some of those same passes this past September although we were in a rented 2018 Porsche 911 Carrera 4. I’d love to do that again in a Mustang GT but I think I’d need at least Performance Pack 1 at a minimum. Those curves in the Alps are nothing like we have here in the U.S. Grossglockner makes Tail of the Dragon look like a drag strip. The Porsche worked well and seemed to be engineered with those roads in mind. 3.0 Turbo handled the altitude well. Any suggestions on where to rent a Mustang GT in Germany??
Thanks @Holmes, I appreciate you taking the time to check out my YouTube videos. It sounds like you had one heck of a trip as well!

I 100% agree in that the Porsche seemed engineered for mountain roads...man they rip! I had a few run-ins with 911 GT2s and an Arial Atom (yes, no kidding) and I couldn't believe the pace they could hold through the tight turns. The advantage I had over them? My exhaust sounded better and the crowds flocked to my gaudy-decor haha.

If you want to rent a Mustang GT, the Munich Airport has them available from Sixt Rental Car. You'll have to call in pretty earlier to score this; all European market Mustangs are PP1 btw so no worries lurking for one.

What other roads did you hit other than the Grossglockner?

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
So, do a nice drive in the Mountains? Yeah, I can do that here, in quite a few places.
A nice drive? Sure you can. I lived in the US for 35 years and loved touring through the Smokies and Rockies. Replicate the dangers of the Alpine road I mentioned earlier? Not possible.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
A nice drive? Sure you can. I lived in the US for 35 years and loved touring through the Smokies and Rockies. Replicate the dangers of the Alpine road I mentioned earlier? Not possible.
O.k.?

What do you want? A cookie? Cigar? Pat on the back for driving it?

You had a nice drive in the mountains. Congratulations.

Sponsored

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
Woah! That looks and must be an amazing trip. Would love to hear how the car sounds with the mountains resonating.

Makes me sad to realize that I might never be able to do those types of Alps trips... to the bucket list indeed.

Sponsored

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
A Ford Performance Power Pack II would set you up right. It adds torque just where you need it and only asks for 91 RON.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
[USER=8793 said:
@wanted33[/USER] It really was a great way to enjoy the Mustang. Frankly, I'm surprised more 'stang guys don't do long drives (in comparison to Porsche enthusiasts especially). Maybe now that the S550 has an IRS and a/c seats we'll see more?

I agree, we have taken our '10 GT, and our "13 GT on three week journeys in the USA. They are great road cars. We are planning now for a long road trip in our '18, and with the IRS along with the other creature comforts I expect it to be much better on long runs than the last two.

It's amazing how we have folks from all over the world come to this country to take a trip on Route 66 "The Mother Road". Being a member of the "Historic Rt. 66" web site one of the most asked question is "Where can we rent a Mustang". :)

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
A Ford Performance Power Pack II would set you up right. It adds torque just where you need it and only asks for 91 RON.
I had no idea the PP2 required less-than the highest fuel rating. This is so tempting now. Thanks for the information!

I would recommend the Continental Sport Contact 6! They are also usually much cheaper than PSS/PS4S's, especially in larger sizes. The ExtremeContact Sport is an excellent tire but it not available in the EU market, so you'll have to go through Tire Rack, and play the APO shipping game.

ALSO: https://reifen.check24.de is a great place for looking for tires in Germany.
Thank you BIG TIME for this link brother. I can't believe how inexpensive the PS4Ses are; with a VAT form it's only about $280 for a 295/35/20...amazing!

wanted33 said:
I agree, we have taken our '10 GT, and our "13 GT on three week journeys in the USA. They are great road cars. We are planning now for a long road trip in our '18, and with the IRS along with the other creature comforts I expect it to be much better on long runs than the last two.

It's amazing how we have folks from all over the world come to this country to take a trip on Route 66 "The Mother Road". Being a member of the "Historic Rt. 66" web site one of the most asked question is "Where can we rent a Mustang". :)
@wanted33 Awesome to hear on both accounts! Where will you take your 2018 on the next trip??

Last edited:

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
awesome! sounds like alot of fun. Honestly, this was a piece of cake for the 5.0. These things havee sooo much more potential.
I've been running hankook Ventus V12 evo 2 305 30 19 on my GT350 and they have stood up well. Not as much grip as the Michelin set up at the limit but still very good.

Epic journey man, you are a lucky human !
Sponsored