How much do you tip?

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
The only time I "tip" is for the technician that's mounting my tires, or putting my car on the rack or something like that. And then, it's just a $10 or a $20, but it's before-hand and it's accompanied by "I'm obsessive about my stuff, take a little extra care of it for me."
I shouldn't have to do this, employees should treat other people's stuff like it's worth a billion dollars, but it's a small price for me to pay to make sure my car doesn't get scratched or my wheels don't get rashed.
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Makes sense that a commy would say this. :shock::wink:

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The only time I "tip" is for the technician that's mounting my tires, or putting my car on the rack or something like that. And then, it's just a $10 or a $20, but it's before-hand and it's accompanied by "I'm obsessive about my stuff, take a little extra care of it for me."
I shouldn't have to do this, employees should treat other people's stuff like it's worth a billion dollars, but it's a small price for me to pay to make sure my car doesn't get scratched or my wheels don't get rashed.
Tip the guy before he starts working?
What happens if he's insulted?

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Being in the automotive service field , I find it offensive when someone tries to tip . I've been doing its for 30 plus years and find a repeat customer is worth more than a tip . Also it is our company policy to not accept a tip . I look at it this way , I am here to provide a service . It also helps that my employer pays very well for my work .

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
No tip

Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I had a paintless dent removal guy fix a weird ding for me recently in a weird place. He wasnt confident he could do it. I told him to try anyway. It was 135 whether he could make it better or not. It came out perfect. When paying I tried to offer him a tip, he said the best tip he could get was for me to go on google and give a good review. I told him I would. I handed him 150 and told him I appreciated how good of a job he did, and he took it. Nice guy and great work.

car

Car
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT550 2018
Tip for a guy working on your car? With the greatest respect to USA tipping is out of control if thats the case you got to tip someone working on your car. Australia we barely tip anywhere as wages are pretty good.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
In other countries the "tip" is already included with the price when it comes to restaurants. You usually don't tip on big expenses in the US of A, just small expenses. Small expenses like an adult beverage at a bar, food at a restaurant, a band out on the street playing good tunes. I've never heard of tipping when it comes to wrapping, tinting, buying a car, buying a house, etc. Usually the bigger jobs have a buffer built in for a tip without you actually tipping the person after the fact.

I agree with what was said above. The best "tip" you can give someone here is rate their work(review, as long as they did good work). This is worth a heck of a lot more than your measly $20 or $100. It's steady business!

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
This!!
Don't start a trend in the automotive aftermarket where workers will start to expect a tip for doing their job to standard. It's hard enough just to get a good, no flawed job. Price was set, agreed upon, and paid.
That's it..

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
Here's from the other end of the scenario. I worked as a mechanic for a couple of years at a small independent shop. We did high performance work, that was it. Being a mechanic I had no influence on price, nor did I ever deal in any transactions; that was all handled by the owner (who did zero mechanical work but did all the tuning.) We did have some customers that would tip, and I know they gave us a tip because the owner either used it to buy us (the mechanics) lunch, or just split it up to who ever worked on that particular car. And who knows, maybe he kept most of it, or maybe there were times he kept all of it. But I do know there were times I would get some extra, and it was always appreciated from my end.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I tip wait staff, barbers and cabbies. Very rarely anyone else, especially if they set the price.
Sponsored