Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

ehazel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ok Gents, sorry this took so long. I finally had some time to yank that kick panel. Good news, the wires terminate there.

So, if you pull your drivers kick panel, behind that you'll find 3 plugs right down near the dead pedal. The one closest to the firewall is C264, and that's the one you want. Pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 are the pins that control the active exhaust. The female side of the harness (the top) will have the wires present, this is the harness that comes off of the PCM. With the push release tab on your left, and the female side of the harness facing you, the pins are ordered from top to bottom, with pin 1 being the top left corner. They are colored:
Pin 1: BN-GN -> Goes to Pin #2 on the combined exhaust harness, or pin #4 on the LH Side solenoid harness.
Pin 2: WH-BU -> Goes to Pin #3 on the combined exhaust harness, or pin #4 on the RH side solenoid harness.
Pin 3: GY -> goes to Pin #11 on the combined exhaust harness, or pin #2 on the RH side solenoid harness.
Pin 4: BU-GN -> goes to Pin #9 on the combined exhaust harness, or pin #2 on the LH side solenoid harness.

On the individual solenoid harnesses, Pin #1 is chassis GND, Pin #3 is switched power. On the combined harness, #7 is switched power, #6 is ground.

The diagram for all of that is posted up in this thread a number of pages back, but the good news for those of us without the pre-wire is the PCM wiring is available inside the car. We just have to tie into the back side of the body harness near the dead pedal assembly.

Getting the kick panel off is a bit of a pain, the release handle pops straight off if you stick a 10mm socket in it after removing the center cap, then I found it easiest to pull the whole panel straight back rather than trying to remove that push pin up front (mine was VERY stubborn).
You are awesome, Thanks for taking the time to track this down!
Sponsored

Hinch42

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does this mean that it is plug and play at the dead pedal? Or is there splicing required?

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Does this mean that it is plug and play at the dead pedal? Or is there splicing required?
fishtail said:
The female side of the harness (the top) will have the wires present, this is the harness that comes off of the PCM.
I believe he said "tap" unless someone builds an appropriate harness. But if you read it it makes it sound like the plug is empty on one side? So maybe you just add the wires?

A picture of the harness under the kick plate would clarify greatly.

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT – 6MT, 401A
Well, I might have screwed up.

I bought a lightly used active exhaust, planning to stick it on my non-active exhaust 2018 GT, 401A. But it looks like I don't have the plug.

Is it going to be near-impossible to find someone to install this thing? I won't be able to do it myself.

Edit: Scratch that. I have the 401A and Safe & Smart package and I have the plug (non-convertible, no Magneride, no Shaker). Nice!!

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I believe he said "tap" unless someone builds an appropriate harness. But if you read it it makes it sound like the plug is empty on one side? So maybe you just add the wires?

A picture of the harness under the kick plate would clarify greatly.
Correct, you can either tap into the wires at that location, or plug into the harness on the empty side. In either case you'll have to run wire unless you want to replace the entire body harness.

Sponsored

Mickeymeanie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Convertible - PP
Got mine from Levittown Ford. First part is the "splitter" and then the two jumpers.

QTY 1 JR3Z-14A411-J Wire Assembly - Jumper

QTY 2 JR3Z-14A411-H Wire Assembly - Jumper
Thank you!!!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just confirming....the only as built changes are done in the cluster for adding this to the 18's that already have the plug?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Anyone installed one of these '18+ exhausts on a '15-'17 yet? Just wondering about the bumper … will an '18+ bumper work as a direct swap?

Sponsored
OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yes that is what I did.... 18 bumper is direct swap you have to cut a tab off the new bumper thats it. You have to manually wire it to a manual switch though. You cannot add it to the cluster options.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Yes that is what I did.... 18 bumper is direct swap you have to cut a tab off the new bumper thats it. You have to manually wire it to a manual switch though. You cannot add it to the cluster options.
Thanks Breeves!

Did you by chance explain the process or do a write-up at all somewhere? All these pages is just confusing … wish someone would just summarize it all.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Breeves!

Did you by chance explain the process or do a write-up at all somewhere? All these pages is just confusing … wish someone would just summarize it all.
He's the OP... the first page of this thread is the write up lmao

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
There's no write up on swapping the bumper. Its really simple so just look up how to remove the bumper and you'll figure out how to install it. Write up for installing with manual switch is the first post.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
There's no write up on swapping the bumper. Its really simple so just look up how to remove the bumper and you'll figure out how to install it. Write up for installing with manual switch is the first post.
For some reason I thought the write-up was installing the active exhaust on an '18+ non-active car but I see now it's not. Thanks everyone but seems like too much effort for me unless I drive one and decide I need to have it.
Sponsored