Sponsored

SP083 / FP Track Damper vs. Steeda Dual Rate / Pro-Action Adjustable?

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
What's the difference between the Koni's and the Steeda's then? Just the valving? If that's the case which one is better suited to this application? Prices are similar between Konis and Pro-Actions.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Think it is mostly the valve tuning and the color.

Since you're not doing anything until next year, have you thought about just waiting to see what comes out as far as verdicts on the Koni Active setups? Steeda is working with them too and previously mentioned late this year or early next year and if I was looking at changing anything, it'd probably be for that instead.

16EcomustangDIB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Camaro SS1LE
Just to add to your dilema, I'm running Koni yellows with the Steeda DR and stock sways on my Eco. The ride quality is great and no where close to being harsh. Handling is amazing. Normal freeway joints and bumps are heard and felt as a firm thud and does not rattle your teeth or the car, bigger bumps are just simple 1 up, 1 down. Just my opinion since you are worried about the ride quality.

The steeda adj pro action are supposedly valved differently from the Koni's but im pretty sure the difference would still put you within the adjustment range of the Koni, just have to find that sweet spot. All I know is that my set up is nicely matched and have plenty of adjustment left in either direction.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC, Both the Steeda adjustables and the Konis are made the same way in the same factory, but the Steeda Pro Action Adjustables are a valved a little softer on compression than the Konis. Its a semi popular complaint about the Konis when used on the street paired with stock springs is that the compression is a little stiff for some people, but for sporting purposes, like autox or track use, I think the slightly stiffer compression is desired. If you go too soft on compression and too stiff on rebound and the shocks will jack the car down as you ride over bumps. Actually, some autox Miata setups take this downward jacking to their advantage by effectively jacking down onto the bumpstops and thus getting a higher 'spring rate' riding on those bump stops when spring mods aren't allowed by the rules... but I digress.

Also, the Steeda adjustables may be valved for a slightly wider rebound range (again, on the softer side). I _never_ run my Konis at minimum settings anyway, so IDK if any additional range on the soft side of rebound is helpful, but again for a softer street setup that might be desirable.

However, in this case, we're talking about pairing these shocks with more aggressive springs, and I'd hazard a guess that the Konis will match up a little better on compression with stiffer than stock springs, and either choice would be fine for rebound. Either way I'm not sure it would be an easy thing to tell a difference between the two, and there is nothing wrong with supporting Steeda as a brand tho.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
The steedas on the softest setting are crazy soft. Way too soft for the SP083s. The adjustment range is pretty large.

I got my Steedas at great price on a black Friday sale. Maybe you can get as lucky this year.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The Steedas have different and a wider range of adjustment than the Konis. That is to say, the total range is larger and finer. I believe the nominal middle settings are similar but don't know for sure.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda Pro Action Adjustables are a valved a little softer on compression than the Konis. Its a semi popular complaint about the Konis when used on the street paired with stock springs is that the compression is a little stiff for some people, but for sporting purposes, like autox or track use, I think the slightly stiffer compression is desired.
It's actually the opposite. The Konis don't really have enough compression damping and with their high rebound in comparison, feel somewhat crashy on the road. The Steedas have higher compression damping. That's straight from Steeda when discussing the technical details with them.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
What I like about the SP083s/FP dampers combination is I don't feel the need to adjust the shocks. It's a good compromise between ride and handling out of the box. A tried and true combination. Bunch of folks on this forum running this combination. I do miss the adjustability but honestly I drove myself crazy before making constant adjustments to the shocks when I probably could have just left them alone.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It's actually the opposite. The Konis don't really have enough compression damping and with their high rebound in comparison, feel somewhat crashy on the road. The Steedas have higher compression damping. That's straight from Steeda when discussing the technical details with them.
I've been told the same.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Ok, well then I'll probably go with the FP Track Dampers then unless I can get the ProActions at a really good price. I'm setting the car up for track, but it's not a dedicated track car or even a hard core track car. It's more of a dual purpose car the way the GT350 (non-R) is set up to be. If I can get the ProActions at a good price then yes, I think it makes sense to go with them, otherwise I don't think for me the added cost of adjustable damping rates is necessary.

Jury is still out on weather or not the R bars are beneficial for a dual purpose car. The tire setup I'll be running is inferior to the GT350R's which run a 305 front / 315 rear in a 30 series profile, so lots of tire. So I'm thinking at this point that not running the GT350R bars will give me a better balance of traction vs. break away at the limits given I'm only running a 275 four square setup.

According to BMacIL just the stock PP sway bars (which I already am running since I have a PP car) with SP083 springs and FP Track Dampers provides some pretty substantial anti-roll already, making the car very flat over all and he's not even running corrected front end geometry yet. Fix the roll center and it will be even flatter. The SP080 / PP Damper setup I'm currently running really gave me some insights into how much roll center really affects the car as that setup is particularly sensitive to roll center.

Thanks all for your help and input. I'm quite excited to see how this turns out and I've learned quite a bit about the S550 chassis but also knowledge that's applicable to any performance street car that's about more than just straight line performance and looks. For me, it's all about the curves!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ok, well then I'll probably go with the FP Track Dampers then unless I can get the ProActions at a really good price. I'm setting the car up for track, but it's not a dedicated track car or even a hard core track car. It's more of a dual purpose car the way the GT350 (non-R) is set up to be. If I can get the ProActions at a good price then yes, I think it makes sense to go with them, otherwise I don't think for me the added cost of adjustable damping rates is necessary.
Just keep in mind that having damper adjustability expands the range from comfortable street driving to track driving - you're much less likely to end up compromising track composure to suit street comfort or vice-versa.

Norm

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP1
So what did you go with OP? Black Friday has come and gone. I almost ready to hit the buy button on the steeda pro adjustables and progressive sport springs but waiting to see what the koni active's do...Been slowly accumulating parts when deals come up, have steeda IRS brace and bushing support sitting on shelf.

Question- why do you guys recommend the linear springs over the progressives? My interest are same as OP, not dedicated track car but occasional track maybe and twisty roads.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So what did you go with OP? Black Friday has come and gone. I almost ready to hit the buy button on the steeda pro adjustables and progressive sport springs but waiting to see what the koni active's do...Been slowly accumulating parts when deals come up, have steeda IRS brace and bushing support sitting on shelf.

Question- why do you guys recommend the linear springs over the progressives? My interest are same as OP, not dedicated track car but occasional track maybe and twisty roads.
The linear springs will provide more consistent balance and feedback in cornering as the rate is the same throughout the travel. It's also easier to tune a good damper match to linear springs as there isn't a variable spring constant. Progressive springs can ride softer.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

The Koni and Steeda active dampers will not be available until late first quarter of 2019.
Steeda progressive sport springs have a exceptional ride quality with the Steeda Pro-action adjustables.
Progressive springs traditionally provide a better ride quality on the street with different surface changes.
On Another note, this set up at camp Steeda at Sebring was just as fast as the GT350's in the same run groups
Sponsored