Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hi all,

Bit blown away - am feeling this is all related to the AC repair fiasco (where the engine harness was pinched), but want to do my due diligence and diagnose as best as possible. Eliminate all other options!

Context - on Saturday the car was giving me a random misfire code (P0300) while out at MSR-Cresson. We ran the codes at the local performance shop, Dog House Performance, and the car showed all parameters as good (fuel pressure, ignition coils, etc.) - just the misfire (and no particular cylinder). Misfires only happened at full throttle. Our best guess was bad plugs or bad gas because it only seemed to misfire when the car was advancing the timing. So, it was obviously detonation-related. I put new plugs and filled up with some VP100 fuel to clear things out. Car worked great for the 1 remaining session I made it into - about 45 mins of straight track time. No problems.

Then yesterday I ran it for about 3 hours of track time again with no problems. On my final 2 laps of my second to last session, it started acting like it had fuel starvation (power cuts, no check engine light). I come in, check things out - have fuel, no disconnected vacuum lines, etc. Go back out for final session and it freaked out as soon as I hit the track. CEL came on. Roll over to Dog House again and we read 2 codes:

p144A - Evaporative Emission System Purge Vapor Line Restricted/Blocked
P0193 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input

Current hypothesis is that the vapor line restriction is causing the high pressure in the fuel rail since it can't evacuate. Thoughts?

Given that this car has had a few problems with electrical connections since the AC repair fiasco, I am wondering if it's related. The most common fix for P144A seems to be replacing the purge valve, but I would like to trace the circuit and make sure the connection from the PCM is intact. Can anyone provide a schematic for that?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
upload_2018-11-19_14-14-5.png

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks, Billy. I appreciate it.

Now to dig in and see if it's electrical or mechanical. Can't figure out which one I dread more...

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Where was the harness pinched?

Any chance the wiring for the purge valve runs through it?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Update

I've tested the EVAP Purge Valve itself, the circuit and the PCV line heading back to the vapor canister. All passed. That leads me to believe this is in the vapor canister/vent control solenoid. Before I go tearing into things, I'd love to verify this circuit as well. @FLATPLANE - are you able to find this circuit as well? Not sure what it would be called, but it's in the emissions system and has the vapor canister and control solenoid.

Here's the parts list for the emissions assembly. Without testing the circuit, my best guess is the vent control solenoid - #3.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe.../emission-system-cat/emission-components-scat

As always, please chime in if you have any thoughts :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Where was the harness pinched?

Any chance the wiring for the purge valve runs through it?
The wiring for the purge valve most definitely does. But it cleared my continuity test. Not sure if the second circuit I'm looking for does or not, though.

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fred Flintstone, two leg power
Update

I've tested the EVAP Purge Valve itself, the circuit and the PCV line heading back to the vapor canister. All passed. That leads me to believe this is in the vapor canister/vent control solenoid. Before I go tearing into things, I'd love to verify this circuit as well. @FLATPLANE - are you able to find this circuit as well? Not sure what it would be called, but it's in the emissions system and has the vapor canister and control solenoid.

Here's the parts list for the emissions assembly. Without testing the circuit, my best guess is the vent control solenoid - #3.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe.../emission-system-cat/emission-components-scat

As always, please chime in if you have any thoughts :)
You can buy the Ford factory manual here for $130: https://www.factory-manuals.com/ford-mustang&28&160 Make sure to get the Deluxe Edition which has the hyperlinks. The non-Deluxe Edition does not have the hyperlinks and will drive you crazy. I use this website for all my cars. Works great.

Deluxe Edition: "DeLuxe Edition contain the same manual, but is full operational with hyperlinks (Interactive pdf), bookmarks detailed on three steps and also have the connector details."

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
You can buy the Ford factory manual here for $130: https://www.factory-manuals.com/ford-mustang&28&160 Make sure to get the Deluxe Edition which has the hyperlinks. The non-Deluxe Edition does not have the hyperlinks and will drive you crazy. I use this website for all my cars. Works great.

Deluxe Edition: "DeLuxe Edition contain the same manual, but is full operational with hyperlinks (Interactive pdf), bookmarks detailed on three steps and also have the connector details."
Agreed. I bought the non-deluxe for my 2016 and wish I hadn't. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be cheap<g>!

<TED>

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech

Is this the same as the Helms manual? About $50 cheaper at your link.

https://www.helminc.com/helm/Result...&Category=15&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
In my opinion yes it is better than Helm bc it’s Ford’s service manual, which is what the Ford techs use to repair your car. Nothing wrong with Helm. Think of it as an OEM vs. aftermarket service manual.
@AgentOrange , could you check to see if the Ford Manual differentiates servicing between the aluminum and carbon fiber wheel service?

Thanks in advance!

Back to orginal programming....

Last edited:

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@AgentOrange , could you check to see if the Ford Manual differentiates between the aluminum and carbon fiber wheel service?

Thanks in advance!

I am out of town for Thanksgiving and do not have access to my computer that has the manual. They build the manual off of your VIN. However, it may contain instructions for both wheels. @tedj101 Will you please help @Tank with his question?

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@AgentOrange , could you check to see if the Ford Manual differentiates servicing between the aluminum and carbon fiber wheel service?

Thanks in advance!

Jim, this is what the factory manual has yo say about carbon fiber wheels
20181120_105447.jpg

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Thank you!

Manual purchased!
Sponsored