Sponsored

First Problem - 2016 GT Surging P0308

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ve noticed recently some slight bucking, not a full on misfire but definitely power coming in and out at part throttle.

Finally got a CEL today and that finalized that it wasn’t in my head.

P0308 misfire cylinder 8. My guess based on research is failed IMRC plates.

Does anyone else have other experiences/issues they can confirm with that code? Taking it to the dealership but I really need a quick turnaround on this and have a feeling it’s going to take a lot of convincing for them to pull the intake and verify.

Code: P0308
Symptoms: Light bucking/surging, loss of low end power at lower RPM. No WOT issues, clears up in higher RPM.
Mileage: 7,3xx.
Sponsored

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
P0308 is a cylinder #8 misfire code. Can't tell you much more than that. Can try to move coil pack to see if it goes to another cylinder

DoubleX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT
I had the same issues, and it was fixed without issue at the dealership. Failed IMRC

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
P0308 is a cylinder #8 misfire code. Can't tell you much more than that. Can try to move coil pack to see if it goes to another cylinder
Thanks. Don’t think it’s a coil, definitely leaning toward IMRC.

I had the same issues, and it was fixed without issue at the dealership. Failed IMRC
Good to hear. How long did it take for the dealer to diagnose/replace?

DoubleX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT
There was a bulletin out for it already. After ordering a part overnight, I got my car back the next day!

Sponsored

Andrewg

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic GT 401A
Please keep us posted on what you find. I have this same issue but i'm Procharged. Was sure it was IMRC based on the exact same symptoms as others so swapped to a 2018 IM with lock outs and deleted the IMRCs. Couldn't find any fault with the stock manifold when it was off but the car ran great without issue so figured it was fixed, then a couple of months later, the light and DTC came back. Tried swapping coils and plugs and still get the cylinder 8 code. Haven't taken it to the dealer considering the one out here hasn't got a clue so trying to figure this out on my own. Next step for me is a compression test.

Andrewg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Here ya go, this should help:
F603FF43-155B-4D64-B47C-D491B18F5FAD.jpeg
Really useful link. Thanks for that. Beginning to think something was damaged like my crank position sensor when they replaced my clutch or the clutch wasn't installed properly.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Really useful link. Thanks for that. Beginning to think something was damaged like my crank position sensor when they replaced my clutch or the clutch wasn't installed properly.
Ahhhh.....! I didn’t know you had that type of work done, because.... if there is “major” work done to the transmission OR the engine such as where in either instance the trans or engine has been removed, then the shop is supposed to follow this attached SSM 45788 - which *might* explain your misfire symptoms:

Attachments

2015V6Fla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Premium MT6
I’ve noticed recently some slight bucking, not a full on misfire but definitely power coming in and out at part throttle.

Finally got a CEL today and that finalized that it wasn’t in my head.

P0308 misfire cylinder 8. My guess based on research is failed IMRC plates.

Does anyone else have other experiences/issues they can confirm with that code? Taking it to the dealership but I really need a quick turnaround on this and have a feeling it’s going to take a lot of convincing for them to pull the intake and verify.

Code: P0308
Symptoms: Light bucking/surging, loss of low end power at lower RPM. No WOT issues, clears up in higher RPM.
Mileage: 7,3xx.

So, when you say "slight bucking", what do you mean?

I recently bought a used 2016 GT 6MT and just started experiencing what feels like a slight misfire at partial throttle that's most noticeable in gears 1, 2, and 3 and primarily in the first few minutes of driving. The problem appears to go away as things warm up.
Is that what you experienced? I haven't had my CEL come on, so what I'm experiencing is either different than yours or hasn't progressed to the point yours did.

I am running Premium fuel (91 octane), but no other additives. The car was unmodified from a mechanical perspective, so I can rule out any rogue tunes or stuff like that. I thought about disconnecting the battery to try a system "reset", but my hunch is that probably won't help.

Any thoughts or insight are greatly appreciated!

Sponsored

Andrewg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Ahhhh.....! I didn’t know you had that type of work done, because.... if there is “major” work done to the transmission OR the engine such as where in either instance the trans or engine has been removed, then the shop is supposed to follow this attached SSM 45788 - which *might* explain your misfire symptoms:
You know it's funny as I had the issue you've posted there after the new clutch and fly wheel went in. The dealer tried the crank relearn twice using their system and I tried it 3 times with the naguge and it couldn't complete. I emailed Lund and got an adjustment to the tune which finally allowed the crank relearn to complete. After that it was fine for a while then started exhibiting the symptoms I mentioned above.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, when you say "slight bucking", what do you mean?

I recently bought a used 2016 GT 6MT and just started experiencing what feels like a slight misfire at partial throttle that's most noticeable in gears 1, 2, and 3 and primarily in the first few minutes of driving. The problem appears to go away as things warm up.
Is that what you experienced? I haven't had my CEL come on, so what I'm experiencing is either different than yours or hasn't progressed to the point yours did.

I am running Premium fuel (91 octane), but no other additives. The car was unmodified from a mechanical perspective, so I can rule out any rogue tunes or stuff like that. I thought about disconnecting the battery to try a system "reset", but my hunch is that probably won't help.

Any thoughts or insight are greatly appreciated!
Yes, basically same symptoms. Mine is most noticeable in 3rd-6th and lower RPM just cruising along. I can also feel it 1st-2nd at low speeds. It’s just a quick flutter of the engine. It’s more pronounced when the engine is cold but doesn’t go away in my case.

My car is stock as well. 7,300 mi and some change.

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
Finally... someone else experiencing the same thing as me! In for the info.

My info : ported CJ manifold. Stock gt500 throttle body. RST clutch. Lightened steel flywheel. Long tubes no cats. Issue existed before the headers went in. P0300 p0316 and misfire counts across all cylinders, 4 and 8 tend to have the highest.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah seems like the past couple of drives it’s very persistent in 4th/5th.

Planning on taking it to the dealer next week hopefully.

Debating if I put my catback on before or after. I think it’ll be easy to pick up through the exhaust. You can hardly hear the damn car run with the stock exhaust.

2015V6Fla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Premium MT6
Yeah seems like the past couple of drives it’s very persistent in 4th/5th.

Planning on taking it to the dealer next week hopefully.

Debating if I put my catback on before or after. I think it’ll be easy to pick up through the exhaust. You can hardly hear the damn car run with the stock exhaust.
Did you happen to take your car to the dealer about this? If so, what came of it?

Thanks!
Sponsored