Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

AnalogDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT – 6MT, 401A
This might just be how the engine sounds, folks.

There's still no firm confirmation the rattle is associated with any specific engine problem.
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed

There's still no firm confirmation the rattle is associated with any specific engine problem.
That's what I think. We use a 2016 Silverado at work with the Duramax diesel engine. It makes the same low rpm rattle. I still believe it is related to the high pressure pump and injectors.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1

The problem is that people may be hearing different sounds. I hear the same rattle that is in the OPs videos, but I can change the sound of the rattle by moving my shifter around, hinting to it being clutch chatter. Also, it became very quiet to the point where I can't even hear it after a little while. However, I am in the process of getting a new short block myself, with the initial diagnosis being at 500 miles of a 2019. My symptoms were a dull thudding/knocking sound, and metal in the oil filter. A brand new 2019, with 3 miles on it, made the same rattle. It did not, however, make the dull thudding I hear on my car. That was the biggest tell for me. I have, intermittently, heard a much deeper rattle as well. It sounded much more like what I'd expect piston slap to sound like. So there could even be two rattles going on. One indicating excessive piston slap, the other clutch chatter. The latter would obviously be limited to manual cars, and could be causing false concern.

There's no denying these engines have issues. Ford approved my new short block without having the tech even find the exact cause. It was literally "check to see if there's excessive play in the crank, and even if there's not swap the short block." The tech claimed there wasn't any, but who knows. Maybe the excessive metal in the oil filter and the symptoms described were close enough to fit the bill. We don't even know what the exact issue is. I'm going to spitball and say that too much clearance for the crankshaft and main bearings is a theorized problem that may be floating around. There could also have been some major issues with the mass production of the new cylinder linings. I know it was used in some previous cars, but it might have been done with much more strict QC. There's also a guy on here who had a bad sensor which tore up his whole top end, which I haven't seen anyone else have. If we were to apply Occam's razor, then the simplest answer would be that Ford really dropped the ball on QC, and have been rolling out a handful of engines that should have been sent back for a tear down. If there's any truth to the speculation that current orders are being delayed for this current issue, then that could mean Ford is delaying for a proper round of quality control. 7% of people, according to the poll of a rather small sample size, would also indicate a lack of QC as opposed to an actual design flaw because people are having different problems.

See the big problem with everything I said, though? It's all speculation. The only thing that is not speculation at this point is that some engines are being swapped out; to what extent is still unclear. I want to tell people to relax and enjoy their car while it's under warranty, but I know first hand what the feeling is like to just want the stupid thing fixed. It's peace of mind. However, I also don't agree with using the videos posted as gospel on what the trouble sounds are. Like has been said, there's no confirmation. We are also all biased to our own cars; so when we listen to a video we're listening for a very specific sound that may not be the same sound that the original poster of the video was hearing. So what happens if that person has a bad engine but was actually listening to a sound that was normal and didn't notice the problem sound? They get a new engine and hear the same sound. I have a little bit of automotive experience and the sound, as I've said, that led me to believe there was trouble is completely different than the rattle. When it started happening, I completely forgot about the rattle because the rattle was like "is there something wrong?" where the dull thud was "yup, there's something wrong." It was also very hard for a lot of people to hear, and could easily be drowned out. The only other person I know that heard it right away was a mechanic I know that said it sounded like a main bearing issue. I also was not able to hear the thud on any other 2018/2019 Mustang GT on the lot. I did, however, hear the rattle on the others. Take that as any of you want to.

Coming to this forum should serve one purpose, and that's to have confirmation that some people are having issues and getting a new engine under warranty. Posting a video and asking for advice on whether one should go in or not is pointless. No matter what your engine sounds like, you'll have someone tell you it sounds normal AND that it sounds bad. Be your own judge, and take whatever steps you're willing to take. The dealer may tell you things are normal at first (mine did) that's a headache that's part of the game. On the flip side, Ford didn't put up a fight. So if you have Ford telling you things are normal then they might actually be normal (I cringe typing that, but it is what it is). This thing is stuck at a per person basis until we hear something official, and that may never happen.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
... Ford really dropped the ball on QC, and have been rolling out a handful of engines that should have been sent back for a tear down. If there's any truth to the speculation that current orders are being delayed for this current issue, then that could mean Ford is delaying for a proper round of quality control. 7% of people, according to the poll of a rather small sample size, would also indicate a lack of QC as opposed to an actual design flaw because people are having different problems.
The engine design was qualified through extensive testing by Ford. And you can bet those test engines were watched very carefully during production to ensure everything about them met the manufacturing drawings and specifications in terms of QA.

A company can have the best design on paper (ie, manufacturing drawings, specifications and processes), but if those things are not followed and verified by QA then things can go south pretty fast. I've worked in an industry were QA was super tight, and absolutely nothing was given to the customer unless it was flawless. Sure, a big car company might not have that stringent of a QA practice, but I'm thinking Ford can certainly do better in their QA process.

Paddy_0511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EU GT 5.0
Do you have a slight rattle around 3000rpm when you driving? I have it in Sport Modus, accelarate to 3000rpm and you can hear a light rattle.
The rattle is not to hear, when you are in neutral...

Sponsored

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Yea I'm a OG to this thread. Literally a week after I got my car @bigriver posted this thread and I noticed my rattle too.

I brought my car to my purchasing dealer and to another dealer and both told me to fuck off. Now at 4800 miles my car has burned about 2 quarts of oil and the rattle has never gone away.

I just ordered new tires because my sport cup 2's were shot. I'm hoping Ford gets a fix out to the dealers. I missed out on some great deals on left over Charger 2018 Hellcats so now I have to wait for the same deals on 2019's.
I've had the same issues since picking mines up in April. I have the 2000-2500 RPM rattle, the typewriter tick and clutch grind on shifts over 5k RPM. I've also had to add ~3.5 quarts of oil over 4100 miles (6600 KMs). I have taken my car into the dealer twice for the rattle/tick and was told either it was normal or wait for a TSB.

Most recently I lost 2nd gear on Oct 18th, and my car has been at Ford ever since for a broken 1-2 shift fork. They anticipate it'll be ready next week. I am over 30 days at Ford but that means shit all in Canada. This is my 2nd car, my 1st was a 2005 Mustang I still own, it's also the 3rd Mustang at my house. That said I am looking into trading it for a Camaro before the end of the month. I can't live with myself if I continue making payments on this car, especially since it should have been winter-stored by now.

Rams01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2001 Camaro 1200rw, 2015 Silverado
So is this a problem the A10's see or mostly the MT82 fitted 2018's? Apologies for not reading all 71 pages.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well dealership #2 also didn't think there are any issues. They told me to keep tracking the noises and to revisit the subject during the next service appointment. This is turning out to be a lottery for finding a dealer willing to look/tear into the motor based on one or two circumstantial noises without any obvious failures, CELs, etc. I am guessing most of us will keep getting this answer. Hopefully Ford will issue a TSB at some point.
I have an update on my situation. Three weeks ago I took my car in to the same dealer for regular service and once again brought up the engine rattle as well as three other issues (non-engine related) which need to be fixed. The service manager drove the car and was able to replicate the 2200 RPM rattle on his own. I think I had one of the worst cases of the rattle based on all the videos I've seen on this issue. He drove the car when it was cold at which point it sounded like the motor is about to fall apart. In my case the rattle didn't go away when the car is warm and could be heard all the way to 4k RPM as you gradually gave it more throttle to go up through the RPM. The motor also burned a little under 2 quarts of oil in about 4500 miles. The service manager submitted a request for a new long block right after he replicated the rattle and Ford approved it and sent a replacement right away. It was just installed and the service manager confirmed that the new long block does not have the 2200 RPM rattle. I have not been able to drive the car since they are still working on the other issues. The service manager thinks the low rpm rattle was a bottom end issue but the dealer did not end up tearing into the motor because Ford approved a new long block the first time around solely based on the 2200 RPM rattle symptom with no other questions asked.

Last edited:

MasterGGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update 11-14-2018: Got my refund worksheet. I am negotiating the fee. They miscalculated using the wrong mileage.
20181114_145316.jpg
Final Update: They took a few days to recalculate my worksheet and came back with a much favorable fee at $9, down from $2880. On November 27th my check was processed and cut. On November 29th I turned in my vehicle, signed the paperwork, and picked up my check. Now I wait for my loan to be paid off. Goodbye Ford.

Lemon Law 2018 Mustang GT Premium VIN: 1FA6P8CF5J5114431

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
TSB RELEASED ON THE RATTLE on 5.0 F150s, same noise as my mustang :

Sponsored

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The F-150 noise in the video sounds completely different compared to the low RPM rattle which this thread focuses on.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The F-150 noise in the video sounds completely different compared to the low RPM rattle which this thread focuses on.
Absolutely correct and folks have to realize the F150 TSB is specific to ONLY the F150...

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Absolutely correct and folks have to realize the F150 TSB is specific to ONLY the F150...
I had the tapping bad but ceratec fixed it, now my mustang only has the exact same noise as that f150

Dealer thinks my rattle is exhaust cam rattle but its so similar to the f150 that I think the f150 in that video has the same problem I do.

Before ceratec vid :

KonaBlu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
18 Kona Blue 5.0 PP1 M6
Hi all ...I have a 2018 GT PP1 w/ 6MT and had this rattle since about 500 miles on the car. Manufacture date was 11/15/17. I started as a minor rattle only when cold and over 3k miles, presented itself across all temps. I read all the posts in this thread and headed off to the dealer armed with a binder of posts and picture from this forum. I asked the tech to ride along and was able to replicate the noise within seconds. I showed him all of info from this thread and he seemed appreciative. Later that day, dealer called and after the tech consulted with Ford, Ford authorized a short block replacement. Dealer didn’t do much more than stethoscope validation of the noise in the bottom end of the engine. For Ford to authorize a short block so quickly, this must be a growing problem. Service advisor at the dealer said this was the first time they experienced Ford authorizing a short block without detailed troubleshooting and pics. Quick thanks to everyone who took the time to document all this. Dealer said factory is shipping the engine on 21st, so hopefully I’ll be back in the road sometime in January.