Sponsored

Rumour: GT350 for OZ

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
There's a whisper in the wind at head office this week. Something new and exciting on the Mustang front.

Yes it's been denied in the past, however the rumour is that the GT350 is headed downunder.

The larger metro dealers are selling a Mustang per day. We're a big fish in the pony pond and maybe the bosses in Detroit agree we're due.
Sponsored

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
$110-$130K minimum I say if true

JimP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Corvette Z06
They would get some decent sales numbers if they did release it. Mustang is hugely popular down under.

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Cool maybe for us in the UK as well if it is to be RHD :like:

noboot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Saf
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT
They would get some decent sales numbers if they did release it. Mustang is hugely popular down under.
It may get priced out of the market though. Look at the Trackhawk for Jeep as an example.

Sponsored

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be very surprised if this happens.

Closest we might get is a conversion kit from Craig and his team at MM in Melbourne. As much as it's a beautiful beast, I'm not sure the numbers stack up for a full RHD assembly from the US?

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Aren’t there several issues with ADR compliance - even an inability to comply? Not talking about simply deleting sequential indicators or linelock.
Doubt if the numbers for Factory RHD and Australian compliance add up.

Love it to be true.

Alvaro351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alvaro
Vehicle(s)
Ducati
There's a whisper in the wind at head office this week...
Hi everyone,

Can only hope someone upstairs is listening! FORD make it happen please.

If the GT350 can meet California's strict smog rules, wouldn't it meet Euro VI or whatever international standard we follow, on top of ADR's?

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT auto Grabber Blue
Aren’t there several issues with ADR compliance - even an inability to comply? Not talking about simply deleting sequential indicators or linelock.
Doubt if the numbers for Factory RHD and Australian compliance add up.

Love it to be true.
Like what? It's basically the same vehicle with suspension and engine upgrades. Places over here are managing to get supercharged 700HP+ GTs ADR complied I can't see why there would be an issue with a 5.2L GT350.

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Like what? It's basically the same vehicle with suspension and engine upgrades. Places over here are managing to get supercharged 700HP+ GTs ADR complied I can't see why there would be an issue with a 5.2L GT350.
For a start, they’d have to ditch the rear wheels. They don’t comply with ADRs.
Then there’s the deployable bonnet. Whilst that’s not a requirement for Oz, it is in other RHD markets.
Then there’s the open top airbox that may not comply with all markets.
Then emissions targets.
Noise targets.
There’s probably a heap more that I’ve missed.

Sponsored

brad1601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT auto Grabber Blue
For a start, they’d have to ditch the rear wheels. They don’t comply with ADRs.
Then there’s the deployable bonnet. Whilst that’s not a requirement for Oz, it is in other RHD markets.
Then there’s the open top airbox that may not comply with all markets.
Then emissions targets.
Noise targets.
There’s probably a heap more that I’ve missed.
Emissions and noise I don't see would be a problem, they managed to the 18+ models complied over here with "track mode" being available. Gt350 is 50 state legal I believe so California would have higher emissions requirements than Australia I would imagine.

What's wrong with the rear wheels? I dony know much aboht that. And are you talking the 350 or the 350R wheels? I honestly don't know much about the deployable bonnet but isn't that just hinges anyway?

Alvaro351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alvaro
Vehicle(s)
Ducati
I don't think any of these would be significant when re-engineering RHD units. I am guessing the biggest issue is if Ford have to compliance an entire new model (eg Camaro) with all the associated costs (crash tests, noise etc etc).

They won't be able to import it under the limited production numbers clause like the Shelby Super Snake. They don't have to jump through the same hoops. Ultimately, it will come down to the business case and if the bean counters at GM can't work out people outside the US want a Camaro, there is little hope Ford will push the case for a limited numbers car they can sell well in NA only.

With the S550 catalogue, there is nothing that can't be ordered from Ford to do this conversion, except maybe the headers due to them being a trick piece because of the FPC engine harmonics.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Emissions and noise I don't see would be a problem, they managed to the 18+ models complied over here with "track mode" being available. Gt350 is 50 state legal I believe so California would have higher emissions requirements than Australia I would imagine.

What's wrong with the rear wheels? I dony know much aboht that. And are you talking the 350 or the 350R wheels? I honestly don't know much about the deployable bonnet but isn't that just hinges anyway?
A couple of things...
1. The Roush SC is 50 state legal yet Ford Aus couldn’t make it comply with ADRs.
The latest Aussie cars actually run extra emissions stuff over and above what’s sold in the US.
Just cos it’s California compliant, doesn’t make it Au/Eu/UK compliant.
2. The rear wheels poke on the GT350. I’m not sure if that’s just the R or what the go is. No go in Oz.
3. From memory, the sump requires modification to be fitted to our Coyote cars with their relocated oil coolers. I could be quite wrong on that one though.
4. Yes, the bonnet is essentially as simple as some hinges and stuff. It all adds up in the scheme of things though.
5. Headers would need a redesign. There’s no way they could afford to half arse that job on the Voodoo like they did on the Coyote. It already lacks bottom end and the ratios of the box make it even worse.
That’s a pretty basic list of reasons why Ford may/may not go ahead with it and why you’d expect the sticker price to be substantially different to what you see in the US

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
1. The Roush SC is 50 state legal yet Ford Aus couldn’t make it comply with ADRs.
Not quite true. They got one over here, and crashed it through a fence, then couldn't get parts and scrapped the idea. They had basically no budget either for bringing the Mustang here.

That was the story told to me by someone who was working for Ford on the project at the time anyhow.

There are a few places that sell the Roush (which is the Ford SC) ADR complianced, Herrod, Harrod and Mustang Motorsports are 3 I know of, and I know there are more.

Alvaro351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alvaro
Vehicle(s)
Ducati
This would fall under the low volume import ADRs of which would be less stringent than Full ADR compliance.

Whilst its a fair example, a Roush or Whipple charged Coyote is not the same as an N/A Voodoo.

I will just keep bumping the tread in case Jimmy G get more of a follow up on the rumour.:like:
Sponsored