Shelby Coolant Reservoir Install

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I recently replaced the GT350 Reservoir and the Shelby one has an extra hook up on the backside left looking at it. I assume this is for a supercharger. Is it ok just leaving the blue flange or will pressure pop it off? Any ideas on what to use to close it up tight? Thanks!
:cheers:
Shelby.jpg
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
If you compare it to the stock one:
1. The small hose that goes to the front of the stock unit also connects to the small connector of the front of the Shelby one.
2. The small hose on the back, right side of the stock unit goes on that small left connector. You will have to get a new piece of hose to make it fit as the stock one isnā€™t long enough.
3. The tube near the top filler neck you can just leave as it ā€” its the overflow in case you overheat. Or you can connect a hose and run it down the back side through that small barb on the back.

If you have the Ford Performance oil separator, you will have to grind off that rectangular barb on the back as it will interfere. Then just ignore the top fitting by the cap.
FCC613B0-2E54-4F0D-ABC7-98FD1C5ED8D8.jpeg

blueghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bode
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1967 GT350, 1961 Ford Starliner (HM 427)
If you have the Ford Performance oil separator, you will have to grind off that rectangular barb on the back as it will interfere. Then just ignore the top fitting by the cap.
I'm looking at installing the Shelby coolant reservoir on my "18 GT350 and had a question. Are you talking about grinding on the tank or the FP oil seperator?

Grace and Peace,

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
I'm looking at installing the Shelby coolant reservoir on my "18 GT350 and had a question. Are you talking about grinding on the tank or the FP oil seperator?

Grace and Peace,
Grinding off that aluminum piece jutting out the back of the reservoir that would hit the oil separater. Its square shaped with a hole in the middle where the drain hose would be routed. Sorry I donā€™t have a picture.

gtvol

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Grinding off that aluminum piece jutting out the back of the reservoir that would hit the oil separater. Its square shaped with a hole in the middle where the drain hose would be routed. Sorry I donā€™t have a picture.
I just installed the Shelby coolant tank and the FP oil separator. They fit fine together - no grinding. Perhaps they have changed the tank design?

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I just installed the Shelby coolant tank and the FP oil separator. They fit fine together - no grinding. Perhaps they have changed the tank design?
That's interesting. I may pick this tank up now if that has been fixed.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks really good. Thanks !

AV80R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Twister Orange L0376
Best replacement tank on the market in my opinion. The welds are exceptional. They're made by C&R Racing. You save about $75 getting it straight from them, but it doesn't say Shelby. My Shelby tank was shipped directly from them.

https://www.crracing.com/product/mustang-gt-15-engine-coolant-reservoir-bare-aluminum

I had one on my GT, along with the FP oil separator, and I had to cut off the loop on the back. I also cut off the connector on top, and had to shorten the front hose slightly to get it to lay flat in the trough on top of the radiator. They sell a really nice back hose for it if you ask. They developed it to use on their in-house builds. Be warned though, it isn't inexpensive.

I think they moved the loop and overflow connector toward the passenger side, so they would be out of the way. They were straight off the back on the one I had.

Last edited:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Love mine as well. Powder coated satin black for my preferred look. Best aftermarket with a Whipple as it doesnā€™t place hose close to the pulley.

82372102-EBFC-4FC6-9AF1-647383D9AEFC.jpeg

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very nice setup indeed. :thumbsup:

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So you guys don't care how much coolant you have in your tank?

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Itā€™s not hard to look in taking the cap off, cold of course, and see the level. Iā€™ve had the tank on over a year and havenā€™t lost a drop. I check it on the first of every month.

Hamster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Installed this one. In the unlikely event there was overflow, I ran the tube down through hole I drilled in belly pan. After tie wrapping it all up, superglued the hose to the belly pan and then cut it off.

Only thing I do not like is that the cap does not line up at full lock.

Coolant 1.jpg
Collant 2.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 37397

Installed this one. In the unlikely event there was overflow, I ran the tube down through hole I drilled in belly pan. After tie wrapping it all up, superglued the hose to the belly pan and then cut it off.

Only thing I do not like is that the cap does not line up at full lock.

Coolant 1.jpg
Collant 2.jpg
Where did you get that one? Did you mask off the Shelby logo? Looks great.
Sponsored