10 Questions from a New GT350R Owner

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
another Q: for the R wheels and cup 2 tires, say you get a nail in it on the street or freeway, what is the best resolution of this issue? can we use a tire plug kit on these tires? or a call to AAA for a flat bed? wondering what you guys have done in this situation with the cup 2's.
I carry a tire plug kit I purchased on Amazon. Plugging is not a permanent fix if the puncture is on the edge of the tire or if you track your car. At least you can get to your destination and then replace the tire.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
another Q: for the R wheels and cup 2 tires, say you get a nail in it on the street or freeway, what is the best resolution of this issue? can we use a tire plug kit on these tires? or a call to AAA for a flat bed? wondering what you guys have done in this situation with the cup 2's.
Tire plug kits, spray fix-it are not legit fixes and most franchise tire shops will not fix a tire that has been plugged or sprayed. I would never take a chance with a flat on the CF wheels.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
If you get a "tire plug", you ought to look at Dynaplug. I bought them and it is a quality product.

http://www.dynaplug.com/pro.html

They are some of the best with metal tips. Some say they are permanent, but I would still get a new tire, but it beats using the "goo" refill. You know the hole is filled and it get you on your way.

I also have a tire inflator. Cheap insurance instead of sitting in 105 degrees and waiting for a tow truck for 4 hours out in the country and still might tear up your car towing it.

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. A number of you said "no locking lug nuts" came with the car. I got my car today, and sealed inside my floor mats bag was a FoMoCo white bag with locking lug nuts (4) and one key. Instructions say to, of course, put 1 on each wheel. I also got a McGard registration card with my key code telling me NOT to lose the card. anyway, passing along...

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Some more questions, thanks for all the input here for this still new R owner (just hit 170 miles on the odometer!)...

1. What's the verdict on the Steeda G-Trac brace? Is it worth $75? Does it really help with tramlining?

2. Might be adding these tires for street use:
(2 fronts, new wheels) 285/35/19
(2 rears, new wheels) 305/35/19

The OEM tires are 305/30/19 and 315/30/19. How do I find out how much off the speedometer and odometer will be with this change? Online calculators only seem to give you the difference between 1 tire to another, not front and rears all-together. And how do I adjust the speedo to compensate? Dealer? Some OBD tool?

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Only the rear tires will throw off the speedo. Also, only a change in diameter will throw off a spedo. Look up the tire diameters from the (tire) manufacturer and compare diameters between the two rear sizes. IMHO, going from a 315/30 to a 305/35 is not enough to annoy you and also not enough to go through what it would take to reprogram/compensate; maybe 2-3 mph at best. And especially if you plan on swapping back and fourth.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
10) What other things should be done (or bought) during the 1st week of ownership?
A few things that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet:

- The rubber gasket that seals the top of the OEM cold-air intake with your hood will rub the paint off the inside of the hood where it touches. Prevent this by putting some 3M Clear Bra tape on the inside of the hood, where the CAI touches it.

- Check the height of the two rubber hood stops at the front corners. They should be touching the hood, in order to put tension on the front corners via the hood latch. Raise them if needed. That will help reduce hood flutter at speed.

- Take a small piece of tape or other adhesive strip and mark the front of your seat, by your right leg, when the seat is properly adjusted for you. Then when you exit the car, slide the seat all the way back so you don't put premature wear on the side bolsters when you get in and out of the car. Next time you get in, slide the seat up to the tape mark after you sit down. No one will be able to see it but you anyway.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
- Take a small piece of tape or other adhesive strip and mark the front of your seat, by your right leg, when the seat is properly adjusted for you. Then when you exit the car, slide the seat all the way back so you don't put premature wear on the side bolsters when you get in and out of the car. Next time you get in, slide the seat up to the tape mark after you sit down. No one will be able to see it but you anyway.
I've been thinking of doing this for awhile. I slide the seat all the way back to exit the car and always adjust two or three more times going down the road lol

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Im 6'5", what am I to do LOL

Sponsored

Thrownaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350R
Buying a 2018 GT350R today. Been thinking about the following. Please note the car will mostly be street-driven around so-Cal throughout the year with relatively low mileage annually and kept for a long time (that's the plan). Hopefully this will help others in the same boat. Appreciate the input!

1) Is buying an ESP and/or Maintenance Plan worth it?NO

2) Must the car be towed only by a flat-bed?YES

3) Do locking lug nuts for the wheels come with the purchase? If not, please link a good set.MINE DID

4) What tire PSI (cold) should I keep the Cup 2's at for longest treadwear? they wont last long

5) What are the cheapest and best-looking wheels for a 2nd set, street-use? Dont waste ur money keep the CF

6) Where do you get tires changed for the carbon wheels? (Worried about 18 year old at Discount Tires messing them up) DISCOUNT TIRE ask w for their best tech...it fine

7) Any reason not to get oil separators on both sides? JLT or Ford Performance? If not tracking not worth it

8) Are rock blockers behind the front tires a no-brainer? waste of money u can have mine

9) First oil change at what mileage? As per manual

10) What other things should be done (or bought) during the 1st week of ownership?
Depends on usage and how anal u are...i wrapped my whole front rockers and wing and clearplex for windscreen

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Im 6'5", what am I to do LOL
Serious question...is that a problem with this car? I'm a solid 6' with shoes on and my seat has pleeenty of room to go back more. Guess it could depend on your frame (if you're a really big 6'5" guy) but doesn't seem like the leg room/length would be an issue. At 6', I can slide my seat back far enough to not be able to drive it, lol.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Serious question...is that a problem with this car? I'm a solid 6' with shoes on and my seat has pleeenty of room to go back more. Guess it could depend on your frame (if you're a really big 6'5" guy) but doesn't seem like the leg room/length would be an issue. At 6', I can slide my seat back far enough to not be able to drive it, lol.
I have plenty of room at 6'4", but it all depends on body type and how you adjust the seat. I wish the steering wheel would telescope out farther, because it would allow me to have the seat back farther.

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Only the rear tires will throw off the speedo. Also, only a change in diameter will throw off a spedo. Look up the tire diameters from the (tire) manufacturer and compare diameters between the two rear sizes. IMHO, going from a 315/30 to a 305/35 is not enough to annoy you and also not enough to go through what it would take to reprogram/compensate; maybe 2-3 mph at best. And especially if you plan on swapping back and fourth.
ok, but still, what is the least costly/cheapest way to correct the speedo on an R when changing tire sizes? must we get a tuner? any other way?
Sponsored