Sponsored

2018 Ecoboost A/T reliability

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
My 2016 has become a little problematic thus thinking of trading it in for the 2018, since I see a lot of good deals for them.
I'd like to get some feedback from those a/t owner, without the digital cluster. How is that 10 speed behaving?

Thanks
Sponsored

erichsieh22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Eco PP A10
My 2016 has become a little problematic thus thinking of trading it in for the 2018, since I see a lot of good deals for them.
I'd like to get some feedback from those a/t owner, without the digital cluster. How is that 10 speed behaving?

Thanks
I traded in the 16 V6 MT82 for an 18 EcoPP A10, and I would say definitely worth it. However, you have to be aware that A10 is not a smooth trans in case you are looking for a smooth driving experience. The A10 on my car shift aggressively and not only mine but also other 6 A10s I've driven all share the same driving experience. Generally speaking, 18 is too new to talk about reliability but so far it seems good, and it is better in many aspects, chassis, soundproof and so on.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Mine has the digital cluster - not sure how that affects the transmission - but I'm really happy with how the A10 performs. I've got about 5300 miles on my car, and the trans is about 99.5% normal, with about 0.5% unusual. The unusual stuff tends to happen first thing in the morning when it's cold. Sometimes putting the car in reverse gives a hard shift, and sometimes shifting from reverse into D gets a delayed shift - almost like it hasn't found the gear for a second or two. These are rare occurrences, and the normal situation is super smooth shifts at part throttle accel from 1-10. From 5 on up, the shifts are usually so smooth I hear them more than feel them. Step on the gas, and downshifts are where they need to be, and upshifts are quick and firm.

Moving the shifter to S gets faster, harder shifts, and it holds a gear higher into the rev range before shifting at any throttle position. Highway speeds are typically 8th or 9th gear - 10th doesn't come in until over 75mph. If you've got Track or Drag mode, the shifts are even faster/harder as you would expect for max performance. Shift back to D and it's back to smooth cruising.

If you haven't driven a car with some miles on it yet, the trans controller may not have learned enough about any particular driving style to adapt to the real world. Might be worth seeing if a dealer has a demo with a few thousand miles to see how different it can be.

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
Mine also has the digital cluster. I’ve got over 13,000 miles on it now. I’ve been pleased with the transmission, and everything else. Mine does get a little “bumpy” on the downshifts when stopping when it’s cold. Doesn’t do it all the time and it’s really not an issue. But it is noticeable.

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Mine has the digital cluster - not sure how that affects the transmission - but I'm really happy with how the A10 performs. I've got about 5300 miles on my car, and the trans is about 99.5% normal, with about 0.5% unusual. The unusual stuff tends to happen first thing in the morning when it's cold. Sometimes putting the car in reverse gives a hard shift, and sometimes shifting from reverse into D gets a delayed shift - almost like it hasn't found the gear for a second or two. These are rare occurrences, and the normal situation is super smooth shifts at part throttle accel from 1-10. From 5 on up, the shifts are usually so smooth I hear them more than feel them. Step on the gas, and downshifts are where they need to be, and upshifts are quick and firm.

Moving the shifter to S gets faster, harder shifts, and it holds a gear higher into the rev range before shifting at any throttle position. Highway speeds are typically 8th or 9th gear - 10th doesn't come in until over 75mph. If you've got Track or Drag mode, the shifts are even faster/harder as you would expect for max performance. Shift back to D and it's back to smooth cruising.

If you haven't driven a car with some miles on it yet, the trans controller may not have learned enough about any particular driving style to adapt to the real world. Might be worth seeing if a dealer has a demo with a few thousand miles to see how different it can be.
Thanks for the input. I have read that there have been some recalls/issues with the digital cluster, something about a recall affecting those equipped with the automatic trans premium cluster. If I do get the '18, id get it without the digital cluster and just add the navigation (awesome that now available without having premium trim).
I test drove a 10 speed GT a while back ( few miles ) it was pretty smooth to me but then again I only drove it 5 miles lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I traded in the 16 V6 MT82 for an 18 EcoPP A10, and I would say definitely worth it. However, you have to be aware that A10 is not a smooth trans in case you are looking for a smooth driving experience. The A10 on my car shift aggressively and not only mine but also other 6 A10s I've driven all share the same driving experience. Generally speaking, 18 is too new to talk about reliability but so far it seems good, and it is better in many aspects, chassis, soundproof and so on.
Thanks for the input. I will go test one out soon!

Deleted member 35644

Mine was in the shop for 3 days with a wrench light. Since day 1: Severe lunging on occasion when engaging D from P or R from P, with a completely warm,idling engine. Pretty serious indecisiveness when slowing and accelerating at highway speeds. Extra-long pause when shifting from R to D. At first they thought it was a bad valve body, but determined the trans module needed a re-flash. The lunging hasn't happened again, and the indecisiveness got better. The delay from R to D remains.

I'm in a unique situation with this transmission, as I have two 2018 Mustangs, an Ecoboost coupe and Ecoboost Premium convertible. The convertible hasn't misbehaved once, and the shift from R to D is always of a normal duration, while the coupe has been somewhat of a problem child. I haven't wasted too much time trying to get its behavior fixed, as they're not going to do anything substantial beyond what they've already done, until the transmission destroys itself...and that may never happen. My crystal ball does say I'll be getting another wrench light, as it does weird stuff some days, and is just not the same car as the convertible when you pay attention to the way the two transmissions behave. Driving them back-to-back is an eye opener.
Sponsored