Sponsored

10 Questions from a New GT350R Owner

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
for the stock carbon fiber wheels, can we use 305/30ZR19 all-around? i know that is the size for the fronts, but wondering if that same size can go on the rears.
Yes. That might be a little glib, but it's the answer. Your car will handle well, the speedo will read about 1% higher than actual, and you won't be able to rotate front to rear because the wheels aren't interchangeable even if the tires are the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
really? surprised to hear it. i assume we still cant rotate the wheels with this tire size since the rear wheels are slightly wider. but if we can use 305's on the rears, does it look a bit off? like the tire is too small for that wheel?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
really? surprised to hear it. i assume we still cant rotate the wheels with this tire size since the rear wheels are slightly wider. but if we can use 305's on the rears, does it look a bit off? like the tire is too small for that wheel?
I realized my response might be a little light on detail so I edited it - as for how the car looks, it's fine - I ran 305's square through the summer on OEM 11x19 rims and you really can't tell which size is on the rear without checking the tire sidewall. You can also run 315 all around as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. That might be a little glib, but it's the answer. Your car will handle well, the speedo will read about 2% higher than actual, and you won't be able to rotate front to rear because the wheels aren't interchangeable even if the tires are the same.
why is the speedo affected if it's only the width being changed slightly?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
When you change the width, the sidewall height changes as well. I just checked - the 305 to 315 difference is only 1%, not 2% I posted earlier. The sidewall height difference is 0.1", which is just not discernible by looking at the car from the side.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

Fun4Joe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Buying a 2018 GT350R today. Been thinking about the following. Please note the car will mostly be street-driven around so-Cal throughout the year with relatively low mileage annually and kept for a long time (that's the plan). Hopefully this will help others in the same boat. Appreciate the input!

1) Is buying an ESP and/or Maintenance Plan worth it?
Been in the biz: ESP is generally considered just an additional profit item for the dealer. Rarely pays off unless by "kept for a long time" you mean more than a few years past the OEM Warranty.

2) Must the car be towed only by a flat-bed?
Read the manual.

3) Do locking lug nuts for the wheels come with the purchase? If not, please link a good set.
Nope. No clue.

4) What tire PSI (cold) should I keep the Cup 2's at for longest treadwear?
Factory specs on door panel are fine for your use.

5) What are the cheapest and best-looking wheels for a 2nd set, street-use?
I live in Western Washington and can't drive my Cup 2s below 40 deg F -- generally from first frost in Oct/Nov to some time after last freeze in Apr/May. I mostly buy full winters like the Michelin Alpin PA4 for our summer-tire cars, but this time I went with the Nitto Motivo All Season Ultra High Performance tire. To do so I went with a tire & wheel combo from Steeda - the Steeda 20" ST-R Black Mustang Staggered Wheel & Tire Combo.

See https://www.steeda.com/steeda-20-st-r-black-mustang-staggered-wheel-and-tire-combo-motivo-05-15-555-6524.html

The fronts are downsized from 19/305s to 275/ZR20s on 20 x 9.5 wheels that require a 1" spacer. I've been driving on them for a couple of weeks and am quite happy. I'll put the CF wheels and Cup 2s back on for Autocross season May-Sep, then do it all over again after that...since I won't be driving with aggressive turn in and rear wheel torque, I didn't see the need for forged wheels or pricier tires...

6) Where do you get tires changed for the carbon wheels? (Worried about 18 year old at Discount Tires messing them up)

Look for a dealer or tire store that has a Hunter touchless tire changer...Google it if you want to know more about them.

7) Any reason not to get oil separators on both sides? JLT or Ford Performance?

No reason not to aside from money that could go elsewhere. You'll definitely need more if you own this car.

8) Are rock blockers behind the front tires a no-brainer?

Cheap insurance.

9) First oil change at what mileage?

Usually around 500 miles for most performance cars...DO follow the factory break in period. Onboard systems record everything so you'll have no secrets from the service department if you break something, expecially before or soon after the break in period/mileage.

10) What other things should be done (or bought) during the 1st week of ownership?
Here's my top five after Insurance and a valid drivers license... ;o)

1) Mustang 16-18 GT350 Tow Hook
https://zl1addons.com/collections/m...2015-17-550-performance-pack-tow-hook-package

2) Mustang 15-18 Plate Holder (screws into the tow hook adapter plate above)

https://zl1addons.com/collections/m...-550-gt-and-performance-pack-tow-hook-package

3) Steeda S550 Mustang Ultra Lite Low-Profile Chassis Jacking Rails (save your pinch welds)

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-ultra-lite-chassis-jacking-rails-15-16-all-555-5205.html

4. Steeda S550 Mustang Hood Strut Kit
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Hood-Strut-Kit-2015-2019-All_p_9527.html

5. Steeda Mustang Coolant Expansion Tank Black (abolish engine bay ugly)

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Mustang-Coolant-Expansion-Tank-Black-555-0600

FWIW here's everything I bought from Steeda in the first month:

2 NITTO MOTIVO TIRES 315/35/ZR20
2 NITTO MOTIVO TIRES 275/35/ZR20
2 Steeda ST-R Matte Black Wheels 20x9.5
2 Steeda ST-R Matte Black Wheels 20x11
4 OSC F2GA R 4 Oro-Tek TPMS sensor 2015 Mustang Rubber Stem
1 20-pk Gorilla Acorn Bulge Open End Short Lug Nut
Shop Work *** Labor *** 1 unit mount & balance
1 Steeda S550 1" Wheel Spacer Kit
1 S550 Mustang Ultralite 2-Point G-Track Brace 2015-2018
1 Steeda Mustang Coolant Expansion Tank Black (2015-2019)
1 Steeda S550 Mustang Rear IRS Subframe Support Braces (2015-2019 Coupe)
1 ea Steeda S550 Mustang Ultra Lite Low-Profile Chassis Jacking Rails (2015-2019 Coupe)

I also decided to buy a few interior, engine bay and personal (gear) dress up items that I bought from various sources - won't list them here...

Last edited:

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
By now I hope the R is in your garage.

1) Is buying an ESP and/or Maintenance Plan worth it?

I most definitely would buy the warranty for peace of mind.

2) Must the car be towed only by a flat-bed?

Yes

3) Do locking lug nuts for the wheels come with the purchase? If not, please link a good set.

No. I don't use them.

4) What tire PSI (cold) should I keep the Cup 2's at for longest treadwear?

Stick with the OEM recommended tire but forget about longevity. I recommend getting an alignment checked. If you drive sport and by sporty I mean hit the curves hard, set the car up with the FP track settings which will require camber bolts or C/C plates.

5) What are the cheapest and best-looking wheels for a 2nd set, street-use?

Really up to you but there are muiltiple replicas and other options. I have seen 2k for wheels, tires,, sensors, mounted/balanced for as little as 2k.

6) Where do you get tires changed for the carbon wheels? (Worried about 18 year old at Discount Tires messing them up)
Dealer should be able to do this. If not find a reputable shop that has a touch-less hunter machine.

7) Any reason not to get oil separators on both sides? JLT or Ford Performance?

If you track get both. I choose FP for the OEM look. they all work the same.

8) Are rock blockers behind the front tires a no-brainer?

Rock blockers? I drive my car lol

9) First oil change at what mileage?

1k miles and then stick with the cars indication unless you track.

10) What other things should be done (or bought) during the 1st week of ownership?

If you will track the R. which I highly recommend you do, PPF the front of the car to include the doors.

OH!!!! One more thing. Check with the insurance company for coverage on the wheels. I have USAA and my policy covers the wheels. Reason I say this is that the CF wheels are very, very expensive even to repair. MSRP fronts 6700 and 5700 for the rear, EACH!!! You can get them through Tasca or White Bear Ford parts for less about 4k a wheel but they are hard pressed for availability. Ask me how I know? lol

Enjoy your car!

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Is the ESP worth it? I plan on keeping my car long term and am buying a long term coverage plan.

Protective film (IE, Xpel) is an absolute must! The paint is thin on these cars and I would do the front end at the very least and figure out from there what you want to do/can afford. In the past I never did Xpel as I figured my car would just get normal wear and tear and it wasn't worth the money, but when I got my first GT350 I got a rock chip in the front of the hood and I hadn't taken the car anywhere where this would have happened. After looking into it I found that the paint/clear is super thin on these cars. When I got my R, my car went straight home, then straight to the Xpel dealer before I drove it further. One of the best things I did to the car and it's worth the money (I spend around $3500 adding film).

Congrats on your R!!

OP
OP
lightrules

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
another Q: for the R wheels and cup 2 tires, say you get a nail in it on the street or freeway, what is the best resolution of this issue? can we use a tire plug kit on these tires? or a call to AAA for a flat bed? wondering what you guys have done in this situation with the cup 2's.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra