Sponsored

No manual transmission, only 7 speed DCT?

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
Link provided discusses the specific Ford GT DCT transaxle, besides, Ford using a transaxle on the upcoming GT500 would simply place it in a different class of car and price point thus alienating many "Muscle Car" buyers but I feel the upcoming price tag will have already kinda done that...JMHO
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Aston and Jag as well, IIRC.
Corvette is front engined with a rear transaxle.
Any decision to incorporate a transaxle needs to be made early in the program.

For the S550 that didn't start out that way.that would involve a substantial redesign/re-analysis/testing/etc. for the crash performance certification alone.

Norm

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Any decision to incorporate a transaxle needs to be made early in the program.

For the S550 that didn't start out that way.that would involve a substantial redesign/re-analysis/testing/etc. for the crash performance certification alone.

Norm
Oh, I'm not saying that it's coming with one.

I would be absolutely floored if it was and looking for a way to swap it into my GT350 lol.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Keep in mind that going to a transaxle with a front engine buys improved weight balance with a greater yaw moment of inertia. It's not a something for nothing change.

Norm

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't have a transaxle. Squashed.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It doesn't have a transaxle. Squashed.
I really couldn't see it happening. Certainly not before the next generation (and probably not then either, probably involve an epic battle between the powertrain and the fuel tank guys before it even could happen).

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah I understand it's a huge leap upscale to go to a transaxle. I understand current insider knowledge says they aren't doing it, and I would have been very surprised if Ford had been able to pull that off. It would be like going to AWD or a twin turbo V8 in that it would put the Ford leaps and bounds above the competition, though. So far there's really no indication that the GT500 will be anything but a me too. Maybe active aero or something could help, but I don't see it being a huge game changer like some other potential changes could have made it.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Are we really entertaining the idea of a transaxle as I wasn't aware the upcoming GT500 was going to be a mid/rear engine configuration :bandit:
The Nissan GT-R and AMG GT coupe others with FR/transaxle.

This has me thinking, if Nissan was able to make a GTR in 2008 (‘09 model) for 70k, i wonder how much this car will be without any exotic engines. The difference is the 500 is still paying off R/D from the voodoo engine. It still utilities the heads, and block and some other parts.

GTR has more exotic materials too. 10 years ago.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I understand it's a huge leap upscale to go to a transaxle. I understand current insider knowledge says they aren't doing it, and I would have been very surprised if Ford had been able to pull that off. It would be like going to AWD or a twin turbo V8 in that it would put the Ford leaps and bounds above the competition, though. So far there's really no indication that the GT500 will be anything but a me too. Maybe active aero or something could help, but I don't see it being a huge game changer like some other potential changes could have made it.
A twin turbo V8 is far, far more packageable and feasible in a modified S550 platform than a transaxle or awd, and it still isn't happening.

The GT500 will be a badass vehicle with a lot of power, aero and track prowess, and OEM integration and refinement of all that. If that is 'me too', ok.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A twin turbo V8 is far, far more packageable and feasible in a modified S550 platform than a transaxle or awd, and it still isn't happening.

The GT500 will be a badass vehicle with a lot of power, aero and track prowess, and OEM integration and refinement of all that. If that is 'me too', ok.
I agree the GT500 will be a great car. I agree with all the other things you said as well. Probably "me too" is the wrong way to say it. I'm just spoiled and want Ford to do something amazing and game changing. I don't think adding power and improving/increasing aero or integration is the game changer, though. Maybe it is and I will be proven wrong.

For instance, when I heard that the GT350 would have an 8,250 rpm FPC engine I felt I had to have it. Nothing I've heard about the GT500 has made me feel that way.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I agree the GT500 will be a great car. I agree with all the other things you said as well. Probably "me too" is the wrong way to say it. I'm just spoiled and want Ford to do something amazing and game changing. I don't think adding power and improving/increasing aero or integration is the game changer, though. Maybe it is and I will be proven wrong.

For instance, when I heard that the GT350 would have an 8,250 rpm FPC engine I felt I had to have it. Nothing I've heard about the GT500 has made me feel that way.

That’s me too. The 8250 rpm was and is a game changer. Couldn’t believe an American vehicle was being produced like that.

Now, if the 500 was a centrifugally charged 8000rpm coyote, or 5.2, I’d probably be in line.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

I agree. It doesn't have anything new or truly unique from a product attribute perspective that will make people yearn for it. For me the Z06 Corvette is like this too. The stats and driving experience will be certainly impressive.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
No matter what the final outcome actually ends up being there are many ways to rationalize and argue for any gearbox type. There are numerous examples on the market of every transmission choice that has been talked about in this thread. All have their proponents and detractors. The only way to please everyone is to offer both manual and automatic. For myself though, numbers are not the whole story and while they definitely are for bragging rights, magazine tests and bench racing, if I can't shift it for myself then something is lost in The whole driving experience. Porsche did learn this with the GT3 and ended up offering the current version with one after seeing just how much customers actually wanted one after seeing what the market response was to the limited run of 911R's. The one thing I have not seen anyone mentioning maybe I'm the only one who cares but the sound of shifts in a car with a dual clutch transmission is terrible. Sounds like it farts between gears.
Sponsored