Sponsored

No manual transmission, only 7 speed DCT?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
According to the one he just tried to start right there ^^^
And that's the problem. There is a very tight secret going on here and I'm seeing ford go the extra mile to make sure this car is right. People are complaining, but like @machsmith says, I'll wait to see what it is before passing judgement. Such a tight secret means it's a bomb or a dud. Not a whole lot of in between.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
DCT transmissions shift rapid fire fast and are state of the art technology. They are great for hard core racing. My friend has one in his BMW 135 IS. (It's equivalent to a 1M- it's the European version). His car is so fast and the transmission shifts faster than any transmission I ever experienced. But it comes at a price- very expensive to manufacture and maintain. If something gores wrong, be prepared to pay. And maintenance- for a fluid change, wow. I'd much rather have a simple manual.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
And that's the problem. There is a very tight secret going on here and I'm seeing ford go the extra mile to make sure this car is right. People are complaining, but like @machsmith says, I'll wait to see what it is before passing judgement. Such a tight secret means it's a bomb or a dud. Not a whole lot of in between.
So about those carbon composite subframes... :wink:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The presumption is that the extra costs comes because Ford isn’t building the Ford GT in the same quantities as the other cars. The AMG GT is the highest production number of all the vehicles using the transaxle with 4,000 of them sold in 2017 alone; Ford will only crank out 1,500 Ford GTs if they don’t add another production run.
This is exactly what I've been saying with respect to the GT500 and why it makes sense that Ford only offer it with one transmission. To split production between an automatic/DCT and a manual raises the cost for each. The volume just isn't there, hence why Ford has only offered one transmission choice in the GT350, GT500, and Cobra of recent past. They are going to alienate regardless of whatever direction they decide upon. If they choose the unit that provides the greatest performance potential - I'm good.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
This is exactly what I've been saying with respect to the GT500 and why it makes sense that Ford only offer it with one transmission. To split production between an automatic/DCT and a manual raises the cost for each. The volume just isn't there, hence why Ford has only offered one transmission choice in the GT350, GT500, and Cobra of recent past. They are going to alienate regardless of whatever direction they decide upon. If they choose the unit that provides the greatest performance potential - I'm good.
If they offer the manual and the 10speed, they should be fine.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The GT500 probably wouldn't get a transaxle DCT, though. It would have a separate differential. I assume a transaxle DCT would be significantly more expensive than a DCT bolted to the back of the engine. It would be awesome to see a Mustang with a better weight balance from shifting the transmission to the rear, but I doubt the body of the car can accommodate that.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If they offer the manual and the 10speed, they should be fine.
Economics and past history (as mentioned) be damned, full speed ahead.

Sounds legit.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT500 probably wouldn't get a transaxle DCT, though. It would have a separate differential. I assume a transaxle DCT would be significantly more expensive than a DCT bolted to the back of the engine. It would be awesome to see a Mustang with a better weight balance from shifting the transmission to the rear, but I doubt the body of the car can accommodate that.
Exactly, all of this. Ford isn't going to redesign the rear subframe for such a radical redesign. Plus, anyone who's been under the car knows something like a fat monstrous dual clutch unit gearbox ain't gonna fit back there.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
Are we really entertaining the idea of a transaxle as I wasn't aware the upcoming GT500 was going to be a mid/rear engine configuration :bandit:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Are we really entertaining the idea of a transaxle as I wasn't aware the upcoming GT500 was going to be a mid/rear engine configuration :bandit:
Corvette is front engined with a rear transaxle.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Exactly, all of this. Ford isn't going to redesign the rear subframe for such a radical redesign. Plus, anyone who's been under the car knows something like a fat monstrous dual clutch unit gearbox ain't gonna fit back there.
I wouldn't think a big DCT gearbox would fit back there either. Maybe next gen Mustang the transmission will move to the back?
Sponsored