Sponsored

MT '19 Car of the Year Nomination

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
While I agree with you to a point regarding handling balance, I’ve found that most of that is due to being in too high a gear, read too little tq. If you’re in the upper revs coming out of corners the car balances out nicely because the thrust is there. Exit a turn with the revs too low and it can’t push the ass end around enough and the front washes out a bit.

Additionally, you’ll get to a point where keeping the nannies on will absolutely make the above situation of understeer worse as well as hinder your driver skill growth and lap times.
I was thinking about how I've noticed that I can enter a turn very hot and I don't have to stop braking completely before I turn in to avoid oversteer. Forget about trailing throttle oversteer, my Mustang doesn't oversteer even under some amount of braking during a turn.

Of course you can apply too much brake and make the car spin, but my point was just that I've found the chassis to be very biased toward understeer rather than oversteer.

Maybe you've found that your lap times are faster when you apply too much power and slide the rear end around. I typically try to use throttle management to avoid sliding the tires a lot. I think if the traction aids start to kick in, you are overdriving the car. You should try to be smoother with your inputs. I think it will give you faster lap times.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
If they don’t get advertising then they don’t survive. If they don’t survive then you just get Billy Bob’s picks for car of the year. Unfortunately Billy Bob doesn’t have the cash or notoriety to travel the world testing cars. The current crop of car mags is as close to impartial as you will get. They have decades of reputation at stake and won’t sell that out. If the current Mustang does not make it this year it doesn’t mean the fix was in. But saying this on a Mustang fan website is not popular, but it is true.

Full disclosure, as I am also a journalist but that should not change the narrative of the argument one way or another.
I think Billy Bob needs a capital investment loan. LOL.

Ken F. Williams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT # K0750 / Harley Davidson V-Rod / Lincoln MKX
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2019/ford-mustang-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/

Some kind words to be sure. Otherwise the article offers some fairly harsh commentary. Looks like they tested a convertable 5.0 and a Bullitt.

Some notable MT criticism:

"WE DON'T LIKE How it handles, price-value equation"

"On the winding track, the Mustangs fell apart with poor body control and a rear end that has a mind of its own."

Concerning the Bullitt:

"the ride on this car is just so awful," Christian Seabaugh said. "It's choppy and rough, even on perfectly smooth pavement."

What are your thoughts on some of their criticism?

I've heard elsewhere that magneride can make for a pretty smooth ride so I'm a bit surprised by the last comment. Of course I'm assuming they tested the Bullitt with that. I don't know for certain that this was the case.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2019/ford-mustang-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/
Poor body control and a rear end with a mind of its own??? Perhaps the real problem is the driver NOT the car. My new fully loaded BULLITT is a dream to drive, fast or slow. Only wish it had wider wheels & tires.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Man you really get tore up over stupid sh!t. It really brings out the c6g fan boi in you. :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:
Okay calm down you can't say anything bad about the Camaro or C6G because that stuff doesn't exist over there either.

Sponsored

Alej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017 PP+PP2
I love my 2019, hands down. It's some of the most fun I've had driving around, despite it needing a new engine at just 1k miles. It's a rocket, but it's no track car. The first thing I noticed was how sloppy it felt around turns. I know exactly what he means when he writes that the "rear end that has a mind of its own." I'll have times where I swear it feels like the rear end is going to break loose, but it doesn't. Then I'll have other times where I'll think the car can handle a turn just fine, but then the back end will kick loose. I have an aftermarket suspension and brembo brakes on my old sn95, and will admit that it feels much tighter around turns; the main difference being that it feels predictable. (...)
Might also be the stock tires.
As a 17 GT owner, I was totally having the same feeling. The so “awesome” Performance Pack and the “awesome performance tires” wouldn’t hold steady ground. At some point on a Lapping day I felt like I was being on rails on a turn, have been doing it often during the day, until at a random lap at the same place suddenly the car loses grip and slips a bit throwing me out of the turn just a bit too much. I ended up ripping the side mirror apart with the wall (luckily nothing else happened, could have been a disaster).
In my case it was the tires, in my opinion rear tires should not be less than 305 and front no less than 275. Got a set of NT05 with 19x10 and 19x11 wheels and now being on rails really means “being on rails”. No happy tail issues unless done on purpose.
Some might say that I’m exaggerating, I say we should learn some key things from the gt350 big brother, those tires are huge for a reason. I’m also infinitely pissed at the fact that, me being a total noob when buying it, the dealership made the PP wheels and tires look like “supercar” performance levels... and they are not, they suck big time. Today, in hind-sight, I feel scammed.
They suck so much that I was caught on a surprise flash snow night (Montreal end October non-sense). I still had the NT05. I then switched to the PP tires the very next day, store the NT05 to then head at some point to the dealership for the winter set. You would be surprised that the NT05, even with the cold/wet bad reputation they have, behaved TONS better under snow (as in, no troubles if careful) while the Pirelli’s (no snow, just cold weather) were out of control... rock hard, slide-y, unsafe. When I say the stock tires suck, damn, do I mean it... but alright, fair enough, they are not meant to be driven on cold weather but just to point out that a tire that HAS NO BUSINESS in cold weather and a history of low score reviews on precarious environment conditions behaves far better than the stock normal street tires.
sorry for this rant, but I have to agree with what that part of the review and it brings back memories of this piss boiling experience.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Might also be the stock tires.
As a 17 GT owner, I was totally having the same feeling. The so “awesome” Performance Pack and the “awesome performance tires” wouldn’t hold steady ground. At some point on a Lapping day I felt like I was being on rails on a turn, have been doing it often during the day, until at a random lap at the same place suddenly the car loses grip and slips a bit throwing me out of the turn just a bit too much. I ended up ripping the side mirror apart with the wall (luckily nothing else happened, could have been a disaster).
In my case it was the tires, in my opinion rear tires should not be less than 305 and front no less than 275. Got a set of NT05 with 19x10 and 19x11 wheels and now being on rails really means “being on rails”. No happy tail issues unless done on purpose.
Some might say that I’m exaggerating, I say we should learn some key things from the gt350 big brother, those tires are huge for a reason. I’m also infinitely pissed at the fact that, me being a total noob when buying it, the dealership made the PP wheels and tires look like “supercar” performance levels... and they are not, they suck big time. Today, in hind-sight, I feel scammed.
They suck so much that I was caught on a surprise flash snow night (Montreal end October non-sense). I still had the NT05. I then switched to the PP tires the very next day, store the NT05 to then head at some point to the dealership for the winter set. You would be surprised that the NT05, even with the cold/wet bad reputation they have, behaved TONS better under snow (as in, no troubles if careful) while the Pirelli’s (no snow, just cold weather) were out of control... rock hard, slide-y, unsafe. When I say the stock tires suck, damn, do I mean it... but alright, fair enough, they are not meant to be driven on cold weather but just to point out that a tire that HAS NO BUSINESS in cold weather and a history of low score reviews on precarious environment conditions behaves far better than the stock normal street tires.
sorry for this rant, but I have to agree with what that part of the review and it brings back memories of this piss boiling experience.
While I'm no stranger to the idea that tires make a world of difference, I just want to point out that the 2018/2019 pp1 comes with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. 275 for the rear, though. The 305 in the rear would definitely make a nice difference for summer driving.
Sponsored