Aircon stopped working

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
So as an update... Ford NZ wont repair my car as i purchased it as the 2nd owner in Australia, and then moved to NZ.... If i went back to Australia with my car it would be fixed.. :(
That sucks Man, surely there is a way round this ?
Sponsored

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
@Spike-S550 I wish, the guy who controls is it from Ford NZ just said no, even though i tried hard, Only option is civil court, so may give that a go, lot of hassle but the repair quote is $3800 nzd...

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Sorry to hear that Stefan, sounds like someone at Ford NZ isn't trying and wants this to stay in the too hard basket. Ford is a global brand, and you're not having anything fixed that's specific to the Australian market. I wonder what the situation is if someone buys a car in the Netherlands and lives in Germany...

Are you a Kiwi or Aussie? Might be interesting in terms of expats who are still covered by the consumer law of the country in which the product was purchased particularly if there's nothing in the T&C that says otherwise. Might be worth a try even if it ends up defraying some of the cost. It's an interesting one!

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear that Stefan, sounds like someone at Ford NZ isn't trying and wants this to stay in the too hard basket. Ford is a global brand, and you're not having anything fixed that's specific to the Australian market. I wonder what the situation is if someone buys a car in the Netherlands and lives in Germany...

Are you a Kiwi or Aussie? Might be interesting in terms of expats who are still covered by the consumer law of the country in which the product was purchased particularly if there's nothing in the T&C that says otherwise. Might be worth a try even if it ends up defraying some of the cost. It's an interesting one!
Kiwi, yeah I had a look in the T&Cs, nothing in there. I'm going to pick up the car, as the ford dealers had it for a week waiting for Ford NZ to reply about the warranty. Civil court would be the cheapest way around if I represent myself.. so will try that route and see what ford nz do.
The crap thing is the guy said if I purchased it new and bought it over they would cross the warranty over, but since I got it second hand they won't. I don't see how that makes a difference..

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hmmm I reckon that's further evidence he doesn't want to know, but he may have just snagged himself with that statement. How many km on the car?

Sponsored

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cars done 13,000kms picked it up this morning, acs blowing out cold air, my guess is theyve just re-gassed it. Tempted to throw some sealant in there, notice some of the other guys have had luck doing that... sounds pretty temporary/hacky to me

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cars done 13,000kms picked it up this morning, acs blowing out cold air, my guess is theyve just re-gassed it. Tempted to throw some sealant in there, notice some of the other guys have had luck doing that... sounds pretty temporary/hacky to me

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
- and I now have the dubious honour of joining this (not so exclusive) group.

On a visit to Albany last week, the air got warmer and warmer until it was obvious it wasn't working - then it came good for 10 minutes - then died again.
I booked it into Albany Ford. They rang the next day to say it was ready to collect, and I just owed them $100 for the gas. I exploded and reminded them I had to told them not to do anything that was going to cost me money without calling me. They claimed gas wasn't covered under warranty - and I just kept reminding them of our conversation. Before I went to collect it, I checked Ford's warranty conditions, and aircon gas did not crack a mention in the "might have to pay for list". I was ready for a good argument, but it was all sweetness and light and "no charge". It appears they might have been trying to pull a swifty on me for the staff Christmas fund.

Anyway, to the problem - they said it was low on gas, but they couldn't find the leak, so they re-gassed it with tracer dye.

My warranty runs-out end of March. My understanding is that the fault has now been brought to Ford's attention, so they'll still fix it out of the warranty period - is this everybody else's understanding?

I'm thinking of paying an independent person to check the gas pressure at the end of the warranty period.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford straight up lie to you about warranty though.

Look at Australian consumer laws, they trump what Ford say.

They're trying to tell me that a window not going up properly isn't a warranty repair, I actually forgot to call them back again last week but I suspect my next call after that will be to the ACCC.

By the law:

Products must be of acceptable quality, that is:

• safe, lasting, with no faults
  • look acceptable
  • do all the things someone would normally expect them to do.
Acceptable quality takes into account what would normally be expected for the type of product and cost.

Id expect a new cars aircon to last more then 2.5 years.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
G'day Ian, sorry to hear this has happened it seemed for a while that failures were diminishing in number.

Nice of them to identify the system is low on gas and then try to charge you for it.

Re Ford fixing things outside warranty, AFAIK Ford hasn't even acknowledged there's an issue. There's been lots of well reasoned speculation about what would be appropriate but as with the oil cooler issue Ford hasn't provided any assurances. The typical experience of calling Ford Australia and trying to talk to them is that they deny knowledge of either issue.

I think the general sense is that while Ford is replacing engines and evaps under warranty there's no consumer protection issue to be pursued, and only when there's a failure out of warranty will we know what Ford's position is.

I'd recommend talking to your preferred dealer about it, they may just ask you to bring it in for a replacement straight up.

Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway, to the problem - they said it was low on gas, but they couldn't find the leak, so they re-gassed it with tracer dye.
It will fail again - maybe even twice before they bite the bullet and replace the evaporator core.

Make sure everything is documented.

trumpeteer_au

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rapid Red GT Auto
Sorry to heat you have joined our club. My dealer did the tracer dye as well the first time but the second time it went, it was straight into the replacement process. He also said his guys were quite experienced at the changeover process.

pony1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My car has joined 'the club'. First diagnosis was re-gas and die test. Repair didn't last and system failed completely a few months later. Therefore the big repair ... took about 5 days. Evaporator and compressor replaced.

Since the repair, vehicle has:
1. Intermittent a/c creaks and groans from behind dash (was doing a bit of this before system failed)
2. A regular (10-12sec) surging of the a/c system. To hear this the clearest, put fan into manual (so auto light goes off) and put on lowest fan. It also surges on auto but if it's on a high fan setting it's just not as clear to hear.

The surging is in tune with a bit of tacho movement and slight vibration, but I think different to the normal a/c clicking on/clicking off engine.

I've been told that the surge is a 'characteristic'. However, car didn't have it before the big repair. I've checked a few other new and same Mustangs and I don't hear the surge.

Has anyone who (in particular has had the big a/c repair) also got this surge? Maybe it's got to do with the repair and/or replacement faulty parts.

I figure the a/c creaks and groans could be unrelated to the surge.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I've been told that the surge is a 'characteristic'. However, car didn't have it before the big repair. I've checked a few other new and same Mustangs and I don't hear the surge. Has anyone who (in particular has had the big a/c repair) also got this surge? Maybe it's got to do with the repair and/or replacement faulty parts.
Sorry to hear it's happened, and also that it appears you're being slimed. Unless it's related to an a/c auto setting where the fan speed initially goes berserk when there's a big temperature difference between actual and desired interior temps and then settles down, they are talking through their ar$e$. Chances are you'd have noticed that a/c behaviour previously.

Go straight back in a short and clear email with everything documented including the 'characteristic' explanation, and also note that 'due to the absence of these issues prior to the repair, evidence suggests the two are related and therefore remediation is sought at the earliest opportunity'. Then call them and talk it through calmly, referring to the email, to demonstrate that you're not being an a*hole but wont accept such BS either. If it's a Ford dealer you might ask to have them show you said 'characteristics' on other Mustangs, and also explain exactly what the source of such characteristics is.

Can I ask please if yours build dates fall into the build dates on the TSB and if not, what the month/year build is?

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone who (in particular has had the big a/c repair) also got this surge? Maybe it's got to do with the repair and/or replacement faulty parts.

I figure the a/c creaks and groans could be unrelated to the surge.
I had the evaporator core replaced (but not the compressor).

No surging, creaks or groans here.

I strongly suspect that your dealer is talking shit in the hope that you go away.
Sponsored