Sponsored

2019 MT-82 lunges forward on upshifts

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Looking for help understanding a potential issue I'm having with the updated mt-82 (dual mass flywheel, twin disk clutch, etc.) in my 2019 PP2 car.

When I wring out a gear (any point at 5k RPM) and upshift (say 3 > 4), my revs hang which causes the car to lunge forward rather violently when I clutch out. I tried shifting fast or slow - same result. This does not happen under 5k. I do have rev matching, but the issue occurs with or without rev matching enabled.

Appreciate any feedback. View attachment 316803
Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Are you sure you are lifting the gas and not getting on it too soon? I've noticed something similar (not at such high RPM's) but I think it was user error with getting on the gas too soon or not making sure I lifted entirely before pushing the clutch in.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Are you sure you are lifting the gas and not getting on it too soon? I've noticed something similar (not at such high RPM's) but I think it was user error with getting on the gas too soon or not making sure I lifted entirely before pushing the clutch in.
I'm sure.

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Since I bought the car, I have had the same damn issue. On normal shifts (not dumping the clutch), there is a loud grind and the car vaults forward violently if I shift above 5500 RPM or so. I told Ford this multiple times and they brushed me off despite me insisting something was wrong with the clutch or tranny. 4 weeks ago I lost 2nd gear and my car has been in the shop since.

I see your signature states your car has a broken tranny, did they diagnose it?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Dual mass flywheel carrying the torque (momentum) into next gear. Tuned A10 will bark the tires into 4-5 gear. All good. :).

Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
its normal guys... relax :)

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
The revs aren't dropping fast enough and you're engaging the next gear with too much rpm.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I see your signature states your car has a broken tranny, did they diagnose it?
Sort of. I was never told what the problem was. They just told me that they replaced 1st/2nd gear synchros and the shift fork which appears to have resolved the issue with 1st gear popping out and 2nd gear moving around.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Dual mass flywheel carrying the torque (momentum) into next gear. Tuned A10 will bark the tires into 4-5 gear. All good. :).
Not what I wanted to hear :\

Sponsored

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
feel the power oh yeah!

ha, so i just my 2018 gt PP1 to the dealer and gave them a ride - we heard the grind 3 times 2nd-3rd. they said not much can do at this point (ie ford probably needs to look at it more). but not worried about it for now.

but my real reason for posting - so is the twin disc clutch (is that the common name) new on the 2018? was it also used on previous, 2011+ gt's? that's kind of a big deal isn't it - higher torque rating and shouldn't it have less rev-hang? compared to my 2016 gt with PP, it seems like my revs drop quicker.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
but my real reason for posting - so is the twin disc clutch (is that the common name) new on the 2018? was it also used on previous, 2011+ gt's? that's kind of a big deal isn't it - higher torque rating and shouldn't it have less rev-hang? compared to my 2016 gt with PP, it seems like my revs drop quicker.
No, dual mass flywheel and twin-disk clutch are new for 2018+ MT-82 mustangs. I've never experienced rev-hang at high RPM in my 2017, which is why I am not sure what I am experiencing now is a problem I need to fix or normal occurrence and I just have to live with it.

gregckach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 Kona Blue
I have the exact same problem with tons of rev hang above 5K RPM when shifting into fourth gear. Same car too - a '19 PP2. Thing is though I only started noticing it about a week ago and it's been totally fine for the first 3,500 miles or so. In my case at least, it wasn't always like this and I'm sure of it. I'm nearing my first scheduled service at 5,000 miles and will bring it up.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I have the exact same problem with tons of rev hang above 5K RPM when shifting into fourth gear. Same car too - a '19 PP2. Thing is though I only started noticing it about a week ago and it's been totally fine for the first 3,500 miles or so. In my case at least, it wasn't always like this and I'm sure of it. I'm nearing my first scheduled service at 5,000 miles and will bring it up.
If you feel inclined, update this thread if you hear anything about this.

gregckach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 Kona Blue
If you feel inclined, update this thread if you hear anything about this.
I certainly will, assuming they even have an answer for it. I'll be taking it in sometime after Thanksgiving.
Sponsored