Sponsored

Is the base stereo this bad or is mine bad?

Vonroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang, PP, Manual. Prior Mustangs 68 Notchback 302, 69 Fastback GT 351, Capri RS-5.0
The rear speakers just get quiet as I fade to them in the rear deck. Is this the way they all are? Does popping in some better quality speakers fix the issue? It's as if they're underwater. See the marginal quality video attached for a demo.
Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
See my to be installed in my sig as one example. Also, reach out to @HextallS550 if you want to do SYNC 3 conversion so you stay looking stock. Or you can look at the 10.2" Android thread here...or there is an 8" unit thread as well. I have been told, on very good authority, that the existing wiring in the car is of very good quality so depending if you go with new speakers that don't need a ton of power, you could do that. I decided all new wire for amps and subs..

OP
OP
Vonroll

Vonroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang, PP, Manual. Prior Mustangs 68 Notchback 302, 69 Fastback GT 351, Capri RS-5.0
Thanks Bill, I just can't believe that the stock speakers are this bad. Maybe they are. Anyway, I'm looking for a quick fix (read Cheap). Maybe an amp or replacing the speakers. The stock base radio is just ok, but I can live with it. Thanks again for the suggestions.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Stock speakers are crap. Now, I know what I am doing may be out of your range, but like I said, the head unit isn't bad at all (it's a Clarion) and I trust @HextallS550 when he told me the wiring manufacturer and that it is very good wiring for lower power levels. So if you get some decent speakers that sound good at low power, you might be in business. Or, get a harness from Hextall and pipe out to an amp from the head unit. Also, if you do a sub, even a small one, there will be no need for the rear deck speakers (I will not be using my rear deck speakers and not replacing them). If you go the route of just tapping a high-level signal to feed an amp, read up on where to get it from since I've read that some speakers get "filtered" or eq'd down for lack of a better term to protect the speakers when volume goes up...you don't want that type of signal going to an amp. There are some options when you sit and think about it for sure. I was dead set on the 10.2" android but decided SYNC 3 to keep it looking stock (so when someone looks in, they see stock and just keep walking, lol).

Donyw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the base stereo. I replaced the rear speakers and have been pretty happy since.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have the 12 speaker Shaker Pro system and had the same problem as the OP with the sound fading when fading the speakers to the rear. I solved it by changing out the rear deck speakers with some Morel coax's and adding a DSP and a two channel amp. Now the rear of the car is just as load as the front.
6Gg1KrJMQuqhM7k9IXUbvSkOETT-I02_Z_js8bR0s1nWEV88ZhB0FjwNx2CdCUTZSjtv76Pg_cdELE4YQ=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
dgzeMZC31voeGecsxVZQCFlUG1dYx_gIQGt_c4t2-ipFnm7UMg2FDl48ejwulP05j_IsfydqkUVTLwvQF=w1419-h1064-no.jpg
L3nEsV2RnJDfoqk1aiMrviuDdrmOOBaNqvSWlp8_VMPtzWzW2KgKZbP12kX142KHn4oGP8Iy2aOCFzlBk=w1419-h1064-no.jpg

OP
OP
Vonroll

Vonroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the help all. Sounds like I've learned that the orig speakers are indeed very bad...and I've got options. Also sounds like practically ANYTHING I do will improve the sound. Good to know.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
See my to be installed in my sig as one example. Also, reach out to @HextallS550 if you want to do SYNC 3 conversion so you stay looking stock. Or you can look at the 10.2" Android thread here...or there is an 8" unit thread as well. I have been told, on very good authority, that the existing wiring in the car is of very good quality so depending if you go with new speakers that don't need a ton of power, you could do that. I decided all new wire for amps and subs..
Hey SD. After taking delivery of my GT350 two years ago and finally turning on the tunes one day, my jaw dropped with amazement. I was listening to one of the worst factory radios in my 35 years of car ownership. It took my breath away it sucked so bad. But come to find out, I was one of a handful of GT350 owners that ever turned the thing on. So my mod schedule quickly changed because this thing was so bad, it took $1500 to bring it up to average. I shit you not.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Ya I hear that sometimes about the GT350 guys, most say "I didn't get this to listen good sound quality music...it's a race car". I say if you drive your car anywhere other than the track, then you'd probably want to listen to some music. And I will say that if I had a GT350, I would definitely upgrade the sounds because it would still be my DD since I can't afford another car (and frankly don't have room for another car, lol). I tried to not upgrade, but I finally decided I have to do it...can't wait till Thanksgiving weekend to install it all!

xmadror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 ecoboost
I am considering upgrading the speakers too on my base ebm.
Would it be possible to upgrade the door speaker and rear with some "low" power speaker and unplug the tweeter ?

Had this speaker in mind, Kenwood KFC-1666S (30W rms/300W peak) which can be had cheap if you look around.

g1131666S-F.jpg

Sponsored

Nikujaga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The base audio system is lacking, but you will find, I think, the same problem with the rear speakers in upgraded factory systems; they are tuned to behave this way. Rear speakers act as a filler or just add ambiance. So, it comes down to preference.

OP
OP
Vonroll

Vonroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
The base audio system is lacking, but you will find, I think, the same problem with the rear speakers in upgraded factory systems; they are tuned to behave this way. Rear speakers act as a filler or just add ambiance. So, it comes down to preference.
uhoh...so if this is the case, the rear levels are subdued and therefore if I change out the rears for a higher quality speaker I may be just wasting my money. My other plan was to use the rears as high level inputs to a amp/sub...but this also may just make a 'muddy' sounding sub. I guess gone are the 6x9 days when they were in the rear and made up most of the output?

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
uhoh...so if this is the case, the rear levels are subdued and therefore if I change out the rears for a higher quality speaker I may be just wasting my money. My other plan was to use the rears as high level inputs to a amp/sub...but this also may just make a 'muddy' sounding sub. I guess gone are the 6x9 days when they were in the rear and made up most of the output?
Look at my post (#6) My rear deck speakers crank and the front to rear fade works like it did in the old 6 x 9 days. I have since replace the OEM sub with a Rockford Fosgate and the deep bass is much cleaner.
Sponsored