4 piston GT brake question

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
I did my first track day in my 2018 GT a few weeks ago, and as everybody has said, the stock brakes were not at all up to the task. Something I noticed on my car, and that a few members have mentioned is that brake fluid seems to be weeping out of the bolt holes that hold the two sides of the front caliper together.
It's just enough to make the area around the holes look wet, but what's going on? Is it safe to keep driving the car on the street or the track (With appropriate pads and fluid, obviously)?
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Pull a wheel off and do an inspection to verify the polnt of the weep . Then decide if you can drive to a dealer for replacement parts since you are under B to B warranty .

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I did my first track day in my 2018 GT a few weeks ago, and as everybody has said, the stock brakes were not at all up to the task. Something I noticed on my car, and that a few members have mentioned is that brake fluid seems to be weeping out of the bolt holes that hold the two sides of the front caliper together.
It's just enough to make the area around the holes look wet, but what's going on? Is it safe to keep driving the car on the street or the track (With appropriate pads and fluid, obviously)?
Did the caliper look something like this?
caliper.jpeg

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Mine looks similar to that. Appears to be some type of resin to my eyes. No fluid loss, no spongy pedal since last track event over a month ago

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine looks similar to that. Appears to be some type of resin to my eyes. No fluid loss, no spongy pedal since last track event over a month ago
I my case, I boiled the fluid after 5 laps at Road America, i.e., the pedal touched bottom as I was braking into turn one. I can't say for sure that it is brake fluid that weeped around the bolt holes, but it seems like a reasonable assumption. I've never seen this happen with any other car I have driven on track (granted, all my other track cars have been Porsches, but they are MUCH older!). Yes, proper pads and fluid would help, as well as removing the inner dust shields. But if your serious about tracking the car, I would consider the GT PP Brembos. Simple, cheap, effective solution.

20180808_144603.jpeg

Sponsored

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
I my case, I boiled the fluid after 5 laps at Road America, i.e., the pedal touched bottom as I was braking into turn one. I can't say for sure that it is brake fluid that weeped around the bolt holes, but it seems like a reasonable assumption. I've never seen this happen with any other car I have driven on track (granted, all my other track cars have been Porsches, but they are MUCH older!). Yes, proper pads and fluid would help, as well as removing the inner dust shields. But if your serious about tracking the car, I would consider the GT PP Brembos. Simple, cheap, effective solution.

20180808_144603.jpeg

Are the PP calipers hard to come by in the used market?
I've seen the GT350 ones come up quite bit and thought about snagging a set and trying to use the 15" rotor from the PP so I can still use an 18" wheel.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are usually a few for sale on Ebay at any given time. I got calipers, rotors, and pads, like new "take offs" from Shelby American, on Ebay for around $650. Not hard to come by. I'm not certain, but I don't believe you can mix GT350 components with non-GT350 parts. The calipers are certainly different, as are the rotors.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
It woud depend on whether the caliper would clear the 18" wheel or not.
Thinking about it, I'm sure it won't...

I would like to try the PP fronts and GT350 rears.

There are usually a few for sale on Ebay at any given time. I got calipers, rotors, and pads, like new "take offs" from Shelby American, on Ebay for around $650. Not hard to come by. I'm not certain, but I don't believe you can mix GT350 components with non-GT350 parts. The calipers are certainly different, as are the rotors.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It woud depend on whether the caliper would clear the 18" wheel or not.
Thinking about it, I'm sure it won't...

I would like to try the PP fronts and GT350 rears.
The GT350 uses a different spindle as well, so I think you may have other issues besides just wheel clearance.

Reactions: D K

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
The GT350 uses a different spindle as well, so I think you may have other issues besides just wheel clearance.
Ok....

Good to know!

Would love to know what the difference(s) are in the spindle ;)
Sponsored