Sponsored

2 year review. 17 GT

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
Ive had my GT for 2 years. It is a wknd car so I’ve only got 10,000 miles, but in that 10,000 miles it’s been nearly flawless. No trips to dealer. Fit and finish while not perfect is still as good as any other mass produced car I’ve seen. MT82 works well. Overall very happy with the car.

I changed the trans fluid with BG at 8400 miles as well as the rear diff with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110.

Car has never been to the track but it gets beat on pretty often on the street. It hasn’t complained. No BBQ tick.

Still on the factory 235 Pirellis. I suspect they have at least 5,000 miles left. I’m anxious to see how the Michelin AS3’s I plan on swapping them for will make the car feel.

It’s not a performance pack so the car can definitely feel a little soft when being pushed and the Pirellis like to slide a little. That being said the car still feels good and handles well IMO.

I recently drove my girlfriends dads 03 C5 convertible with manual trans. Car has 56k on it. It’s well maintained. Not a fair comparison being such an older car but people talk about the lack of low end torque in the Coyote. I expected the larger LS1 to have more low end but I couldn’t feel it. My heavier base GT felt more athletic all around from power to chassis.

I also recently drove my friends 17 ZL1 Manual. Very nice car but I still prefer the stang over it. My expectations may have been high with all the extra power it has but I just didn’t feel all that extra kick. I only put about 8 miles on it. I suspect I need a lot more time to really appreciate it but the Mustang as a whole just feels good to me.
Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I only have about 4000 miles on my '17 GT in the 12 months I've owned, but I echo your sentiments. Only difference is I have the Black Appearance Package with comes with 19" wheels and 255 Pirelli tires.

I have a BG kit ready to swap into my tranny this winter.

Car has performed flawlessly thus far and is a true pleasure to drive. I look forward to many happy years of ownership

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
I recently drove my girlfriends dads 03 C5 convertible with manual trans. Car has 56k on it. It’s well maintained. Not a fair comparison being such an older car but people talk about the lack of low end torque in the Coyote. I expected the larger LS1 to have more low end but I couldn’t feel it. My heavier base GT felt more athletic all around from power to chassis.
My GT is still on order so can only go off a test-drive, but I used to own an '01 C5 with the LS1 and currently have an '08 C6 Z51 with the LS3. The LS engines aren't really about low-end torque either, and the lower redline means they're further held back by relatively high gearing, so probably not too surprising that the C5 didn't feel strong at the low end. Gut feel is that a C6 LS3 6-spd auto and a GT 10-spd auto feel pretty similar overall due to more and lower gears offsetting weight and slightly less torque. Handling-wise, the C6 Z51 is a huge improvement on the C5, so again your experience makes sense and as you say it's an old car now.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a 2018, had it for a little over 3 months, just over 2K miles now. It was supposed to be a weekend only car but my commute is long I decided to rotate it with my Fiesta ST so my ST doesn't end up with 20K miles after only 1 year. I like the GT but coming from lighter cars- Subaru WRX, Mazda Miata and my current Fiesta ST, it still feels heavy. It's not as quick off the line as it takes more effort to get 3700-3800 LBS moving than I am used to. But once you get going and rev it up, the HP overcomes the mass. And not having PP!, PP2 I feel like it definitely is not a track car.

It shifts really good- I like the MT-82 despite all the mixed rap I have read. It shifts better and is less notchy than my past 2011 Camaro SS. Mine is starting to make the knock or the tick- the BBQ tick I believe? But it's not consistent and varies depending on the temperature of the engine/oil. I assume it's normal. I like driving the car. I just don't know if is a long term car for me yet. I can only imagine how fun this car would be if it were 400- 500 LBS lighter. Heck with increasing the HP, just make it lighter.

So on my list of cars overall it ranks about 5th or 6th- I still prefer my past 2016 Miata ND, 2011 Mazda Speed 3, 2007 Civic SI, and not sure if I like it or my 2016 WRX better. The WRX had the horrible rev hang but it was lighter. This GT is definitely the "fastest" car I have ever owned- although not the "quickest".

OP
OP

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
My GT is still on order so can only go off a test-drive, but I used to own an '01 C5 with the LS1 and currently have an '08 C6 Z51 with the LS3. The LS engines aren't really about low-end torque either, and the lower redline means they're further held back by relatively high gearing, so probably not too surprising that the C5 didn't feel strong at the low end. Gut feel is that a C6 LS3 6-spd auto and a GT 10-spd auto feel pretty similar overall due to more and lower gears offsetting weight and slightly less torque. Handling-wise, the C6 Z51 is a huge improvement on the C5, so again your experience makes sense and as you say it's an old car now.

Yeah I mainly threw the comparison in there because of the Vette being a higher tier car and that particular C5 weighing 450+ lbs less than my GT. I thought it would feel tighter in the turns as well as plant me in the seat more.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Nice review. I have the exact same car with exact same miles and driving habits.

Added frpp track pack suspension and PP tires/rims and it turned this car into a real street performer. I love it more and more as time goes on!

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
So on my list of cars overall it ranks about 5th or 6th- I still prefer my past 2016 Miata ND, 2011 Mazda Speed 3, 2007 Civic SI, and not sure if I like it or my 2016 WRX better. The WRX had the horrible rev hang but it was lighter. This GT is definitely the "fastest" car I have ever owned- although not the "quickest".
Man I had an 08 Si. I totally disagree. My 15GT is quicker and faster. Talk about power lag...those Si’s have zero power until 5k lol

Seems like the coyote motor would be a Si fan boys wet dream due to the similar power delivery in the high rpms but a ton more.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Man I had an 08 Si. I totally disagree. My 15GT is quicker and faster. Talk about power lag...those Si’s have zero power until 5k lol

Seems like the coyote motor would be a Si fan boys wet dream due to the similar power delivery in the high rpms but a ton more.
SI better than a S550. That's crazy. I own a 9th gen and had an 8th gen last year for seven years. 8th had all the bolt-ons, hondata vitviper tune, good tire and HFP suspension. Nowhere near as fun as the GT. Lighter yes and more nimble. That's about it. Si is also gets very good mpg.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Abmobil..glad to know of your satisfaction..same here..2015 gt pp though with 13,500 mi..no problems and no dealer trips also...an absolutely beautiful machine! !

Sponsored

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Congrats OP! I'm 1.5 years on my '17 GT. LOVE IT! Only had European and Japanese up to now. The car is surprisingly flexible - had 5 people in it once. Nice power, exceptional highway fuel economy which was a total shocker.

My first choice was a Camaro 2SS (amazing powertrain with manual tranny) but the lack of any rear seat headroom and the truly abysmal sightlines kiboshed that choice. In retrospect I'm so happy I didn't get that car as it would have been a total nightmare

Edross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt and 2003 Mustang gt
Love my 17, just turned 10,000 miles and did a full synthetic oil change yesterday, runs like a champ

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I have 17 gt.base, coming on two years and 5k miles, in thos miles i have 4 track days pretty hard ones at that, 2 first track days wrr on stock squishy shitty suspension and thr other two on steeda spring,shocks,swaybars, brace etc. Really transformed the car, anyways i do wish ot was at least 200 light or maybe smaller dimensionally but its been a good car no problems i have amsoil in the engine bg in the tranny and diff, tires and breaks are thrashed but am done for this season so new brakes and tires for 2019, overall i would of bought a corvette but i needed back seats for joy rides with the kids, great fun car no compaints

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 lightning blue Mustang GT
I have 17 gt.base, coming on two years and 5k miles, in thos miles i have 4 track days pretty hard ones at that, 2 first track days wrr on stock squishy shitty suspension and thr other two on steeda spring,shocks,swaybars, brace etc. Really transformed the car, anyways i do wish ot was at least 200 light or maybe smaller dimensionally but its been a good car no problems i have amsoil in the engine bg in the tranny and diff, tires and breaks are thrashed but am done for this season so new brakes and tires for 2019, overall i would of bought a corvette but i needed back seats for joy rides with the kids, great fun car no compaints
Also 17 base and just under 5,000 miles. I've had it about 1.5 years and no problems whatsoever, only thing done was UPR oil separator, roush axle backs, 350R 19" Reps and ceramic pro which i had done when it was about a year old. No engine noise and everything is solid so far. Im wanting to start doing some performance mods to it now but i wont lie i hate the thought of throwing my warranty away. I wish i knew how my dealer felt about that stuff. The black Friday sales are starting now and I'm conflicted on what i want to do first, if anything. Well this was just to check in and say the car is solid and the mt-82 is as expected and no strange engine noises

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Also 17 base and just under 5,000 miles. I've had it about 1.5 years and no problems whatsoever, only thing done was UPR oil separator, roush axle backs, 350R 19" Reps and ceramic pro which i had done when it was about a year old. No engine noise and everything is solid so far. Im wanting to start doing some performance mods to it now but i wont lie i hate the thought of throwing my warranty away. I wish i knew how my dealer felt about that stuff. The black Friday sales are starting now and I'm conflicted on what i want to do first, if anything. Well this was just to check in and say the car is solid and the mt-82 is as expected and no strange engine noises
I was scared of this too thats why i decided to only do suspension mods no engine, i dont really need more power at the track anyways, anyhow if u stick to suspension stuff toull be fine and if u have a base gt like mine you really want to concentrate on suspension cuz they ride like a boat on stock stuff.
Sponsored