Sponsored

DIY Maintenance with Known Issues

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
I know most people on the forums seem to do their own oil changes and try to avoid the dealer at all costs. I have a new 2018 and changed my own oil out at ~2000 miles. I was going to change again prior to storing the car for winter this weekend. That said, I lost 2nd gear last week and now car is now sitting at the dealer.

If your car has issues (transmission, motor, etc), is it ok to continue to do your own oil changes in regards to warranty purposes? Or is it wiser to just let Ford do them all and have it documented?

Anyone have any issues continuing to get warranty work done after doing their own oil changes when your car has had issues already?

Lastly, Ford list items that should be checked as part of regular maintenance. For those that change their own oil, do you still take it to the dealer periodically to have those items checked? Or do you not bother unless an issue occurs?

Thanks
Sponsored

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
In my case i go at least for 3 or 4 consecutive changes just to open record in case something shows up.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I do my own maintenance especially oil and filter changes. I use full synthetic oil and a motorcraft oil filter. I save the receipt and take a picture of the odometer and print the picture off my printer and keep that in a folder for proof in case I’m ever asked for maintenance logs/receipts.

It’s cheaper doing it myself and I know it’s done right. It saves me time vs driving to a dealer and waiting for it to be done then drive back.

I’ve heard of some dealers not putting enough oil in especially the 18+ GT’s require 10 quarts now.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
AFAIK... Ford would have to prove you didn't change your oil or used sub-par oil, and that led to the failure you experienced. Think about how many millions of Ford owners are either DIY mechanics or take their car to their preferred mechanic to save some cash on maintenance. I have never heard of Ford denying warranty due to someone else/the owner working on the vehicle UNLESS they use non-ford parts or in the case of oil; use oil that doesn't meet Ford standards or recommendations for that vehicle. I change the oil myself on my GT350 because I refuse to pay Ford $250 for the pleasure, and both dealers from my area said as long as I use FoMoCo oil in it then I won't have an issue if my motor blows or starts drinking oil. On the opposite hand, any warranty type work, or issues you think could evolve into warranty work need to be brought to a dealer and documented.

As a side note, Ford can't totally void your warranty for one aftermarket part, they can only void the warranty attached to that part and they still have to prove your part caused that failure. As an example, if you put a Hellion TT kit on your car and blow apart your transmission, then they could void the powertrain warranty (because it wouldn't be hard to prove pushing 900+hp through a system designed for half that can damage everything between the engine and the rear half shafts), but the rest of your warranty would remain intact because your aftermarket part will not affect the other parts. The only exception to this I know of is Ford Performance brand parts, as they are made by Ford and carry a warranty of their own.

As far as recommended checks, YouTube is a great resource if you're not sure what you're looking for. Better to spend a Saturday doing that than paying a dealer $95+ an hour to...

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have been doing my own maintenance on vehicles, tractors, lawn mowers, boats, boat engines for the last 40 years. I know it's done right if I do it myself. I still do all of my own maintenance at 60- including oil and filter, tire rotations, transmission and transfer case oil changes, differential oil changes, tune ups, belts, hoses, exhaust systems, performance upgrades......well I guess I do almost everything....clutches, transmission and engine change outs perhaps not any more though. my GT looks easy to maintain- I thoroughly checked under the hood and underneath before I bough it- access to drain plugs, spark plugs, etc. looked pretty straight forward. Love the quick release oil drain plug. I keep service records of everything I do on a spread sheet and the mileage. That way if there is an issue with covering something under warranty I have evidence that maintenance was performed.

Sponsored

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I log my maintenance on owner.ford.com. Unless their boss specifically tells them to be a stickler (at which point I'd probably find a different dealer) I'm willing to bet a service advisor looking into an issue would see it was done and not dig deeper.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I like having Ford do them all so it is properly documented and there can't be any issues, but also because I'd rather pay the $30-$40 to have them change the oil, filter, and dispose of the old instead of me having to worry about that and pay $30 anyway.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I like having Ford do them all so it is properly documented and there can't be any issues, but also because I'd rather pay the $30-$40 to have them change the oil, filter, and dispose of the old instead of me having to worry about that and pay $30 anyway.
I agree my friend. I used to enjoy doing little things like oil changes, etc., and still do some of those things. But as it is today, knowing better than to just pour the old oil into a ditch, and the small difference in the price I just take mine to the dealer. That gives me a chance to get out of the wife's hair, get a free cup of Joe, and look at the new Mustangs. Make's for a relaxing day for this old retired guy.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I ONLY use the dealer for warranty work and have never had an issue with a warranty repair.

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I log my maintenance on owner.ford.com. Unless their boss specifically tells them to be a stickler (at which point I'd probably find a different dealer) I'm willing to bet a service advisor looking into an issue would see it was done and not dig deeper.
Do this. Virtually all car makers now days have an owner website that allows you to enter owner maintenance (or any non-dealer maintenance). If you document it they would really have to prove you didn't do it.

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep doing them myself :like:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
AFAIK... Ford would have to prove...
It's the other way round. Ford can deny any warranty claim it pleases, then it would be up to YOU to prove that denial breaches your New Vehicle Limited Warranty contract. Your warranty documents outline the dispute resolution process:

Ford Warranty said:
You are required to submit your warranty dispute to the BBB AUTO LINE before exercising rights or seeking remedies under the Federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq. To the extent permitted by the applicable state ‘‘Lemon Law’’, you are also required to submit your warranty dispute to the BBB AUTO LINE before exercising any rights or seeking remedies under the ‘‘Lemon Law’’. If you choose to seek remedies that are not created by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or the applicable state ‘‘Lemon Law,’’ you are not required to first use BBB AUTO LINE to resolve your dispute – although the program is still available to you.
The weight of the Magnuson-Moss Act is, of course, is a powerful talisman for you in these disputes. The Act makes a breach of warranty a federal crime, so Ford will clearly be very careful about claim denials. But the opposite is also true: Because the Act makes unfair claim denial a federal crime you can be certain Ford will do its homework before denying a claim.

The bottom line is the entire process is a lengthy hassle, so you want to avoid it if possible by complying with requirements in your warranty documents. You can be sure Ford has a great deal more experience in denying a claim than you do in disputing a warranty denial.

The only exception to this I know of is Ford Performance brand parts, as they are made by Ford and carry a warranty of their own.
Not completely true. According to the Ford Performance Parts Limited Warranty Program:

Ford Performance said:
All Ford Performance Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Performance Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories.

Ford Performance Parts Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts...
If you read the warranty notes for most of these parts they are based on the start of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. For example, superchargers get a 12K/1 year warranty, but only if it's installed prior to the car reaching 24K miles.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
In my experience oil changes are done haphazardly, at least by my local dealer. They dump 6 quarts in no matter what. Overfill every time.

Some of the bolts holding the plastic panel went bye bye after one change. Sufficed to say, I do nearly all changes myself unless I cant help it.

CrowdFedGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
Depends on the dealer... the dealer I bought my GT350 from quoted me $135 for an oil change... that's literally the same amount it would cost to do it myself and deal with disposing of the oil etc... So yeah, I'll be in the waiting room sipping a coffee :) Side note: Call around, another dealer closer to my house quoted me $215! Every dealer is different!
Sponsored