Sponsored

Let's get serious about track tires for GT350

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Has anyone tried supercar 3r tires that go on zl1 1le? Curious of thread life compared to cup2s..
Sponsored

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Has anyone tried supercar 3r tires that go on zl1 1le? Curious of thread life compared to cup2s..
(fighting every urge to be ignorantly sarcastic) Read the post literally right before your last one :)

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
It depends on how experiences you are. Driving 2-3-4-5-10 seconds off the capability of the car will greatly determine the longevity of the tire. On too of that, the difference in session length, number of sessions per day, ambient temperatures, mods to the car (esp camber) all make it difficult to compare how many days one person is getting out of a set of tires vs another.

In reality, all of these tires will not last much longer than 2 hours when driven at the limit lap after lap. That's 4-8 15-minute sessions.
Well right there’s the bottom line. If you go fast, they all wear out. Quickly. If you’re slower, and get them nice and heat cycled, you can petrify them and then might last longer but with no grip.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Hi all,

Wanted to start a thread to start collating content on folks' experience with various tires. I know collectively we all have a ton of data and knowledge, so hoping we can get it somewhere easy to find and converse about it.

Also, thinking about building a table with folks' experience:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s

HoneyBadger - 305/30/R19 (98Y) squared
  • Event type/run group: HPDE, Advanced
  • Number of sets: (3)
  • Driving style: Not tire friendly, unfortunately
  • Days lasted: Avg. 4
  • Did you rotate: Yes, front to back
  • Tire pressures: 32 hot
  • Camber: -3.2 front, -2.5 rear
  • Tracks: COTA, Road Atlanta, Buttonwillow, and Thunderhill

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Honeybadger - OEM MPSS tires on OEM wheels
  • Event type/run group: HPDE, Novice and Inter
  • Number of sets: (2)
  • Driving style: Smoothish?
  • Days lasted: Avg. 10 for front, 14 rears
  • Did you rotate: No
  • Tire pressures: 33 hot
  • Camber: -1.75 front, -1.5 rear
  • Tracks: The Ridge, Oregon Raceway Park, Pacific Raceways, Portland Intl. Raceway, Laguna Seca, Sonoma, and Thunderhill
Goodyear 3Rs

@mpaige22 - OEM R
  • Event type/run group:HPDE // Advanced
  • Number of sets: 1
  • Driving style:Smooth (tire friendly aka proper warm up and cool down....flatout when warm)
  • Days lasted:NA (but to guesstimate 2.5-3)
  • Did you rotate:Yes
  • Tire pressures:34-35 hot
  • Camber: 4.2 Front // 2.9 rear // 0 toe
  • Tracks:Sonoma
Toyo R888Rs

@Ixse in 295/30/19 square set up (only reason i went w 295s instead of 305s were cost. 295s for some reason are $80-90 per tire cheaper)
Number of sets : 1
Deiving style : smooth / agressive
Days lasted : 5-6 days (4-20min sessions each) w about 1000 street miles.
Rotate: no
Pressure: 32-33 hot
Camber: -2.5 front -1.5 rear
Track: ACS in fontana

Please add your own experiences! Would love to expand on this and get folks' feedback who have tried other tire brands! I know @mpaige22 can provide feedback on those new GYs!
I can add a little more data to this thread.

User tedj101

RE71R 305/30/19 square setup
HPDE advanced
Sets 1
Driving style pretty smooth and aggressive.
Days lasted: 6 days mostly dry mostly at VIR (one day at VIR started wet but dried off quickly) with I day on NJMP Thunderbolt. One day on NJMP Lightning wet. The tires are not done yet. I would expect to get at least two more days in the Spring. (I took them off because I am going to Daytona for a 3 day track event and I want new tires and brakes for that event).
Rotate: not at this point. Will put them where I feel is appropriate when I run them next season.
Pressure 35-36 hot
Camber 3.2 front 1.8 back. Front toe .08 rear toe .1
Tracks: VIR and NJMP
This is a new car for me (4 months old). I had a 2016GTPP on which I used RE71s too and find them a great compromise tire.

Sponsored

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
I switched to the Porsche CUP2s on my R and run 305s all the way around on the Carbon rims. No question they last longer. I am pushing the car as much as I was in the Regular CUPs. The regular CUPs would last me about 3 or 4 days running 3 to 4 - 20 minute sessions each day at MSR Cresson. These look to double that longevity at a minimum. I am running 1.22s in the morning and 1.23s in the afternoon on the 1.7CCW at MSR. PSI is about 33 hot.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I switched to the Porsche CUP2s on my R and run 305s all the way around on the Carbon rims. No question they last longer. I am pushing the car as much as I was in the Regular CUPs. The regular CUPs would last me about 3 or 4 days running 3 to 4 - 20 minute sessions each day at MSR Cresson. These look to double that longevity at a minimum. I am running 1.22s in the morning and 1.23s in the afternoon on the 1.7CCW at MSR. PSI is about 33 hot.
Let us know how long they last these might be my next tire.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Any more news on the Michelin NO Porsche 102Y cup 2's? I found some for close to the same price as NT01's (under $400 ea) and now I'm not sure which to get.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Any more news on the Michelin NO Porsche 102Y cup 2's? I found some for close to the same price as NT01's (under $400 ea) and now I'm not sure which to get.
I wouldn't even hesitate. They're lasting twice as long for EVERY person I've talked to. I only purchased the 315 100Y tires because I got an entire set for $940 delivered. But would choose the Porsche spec if I was in your shoes.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
I wouldn't even hesitate. They're lasting twice as long for EVERY person I've talked to. I only purchased the 315 100Y tires because I got an entire set for $940 delivered. But would choose the Porsche spec if I was in your shoes.
I agree as well. I am running them and they last 2x the time. I have not run NT01's before so I can't compare.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Let me know how that works that site has dodgy reviews.
Yeah, that's why I called first to verify the type of tires, stock, and etc. So far I've received 4 emails from them keeping me updated on when the tires were pulled, when I'm being charged and etc. So far so good.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Yeah, that's why I called first to verify the type of tires, stock, and etc. So far I've received 4 emails from them keeping me updated on when the tires were pulled, when I'm being charged and etc. So far so good.
Let us know when you get them I was looking at that site
Sponsored

Last edited: