Sponsored

Oil Change Pics

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
I did my first oil change on my 2018 GT today. I haven't changed my own oil in probably 25 years but decided to give it shot since I figured a 10 quart full synthetic change would run at least $200 at the dealer. Problem was I couldn't find any pics online so I thought I'd post few for everyone, and some comments. I used an FL500S filter which is slightly larger than the original factory filter, and 10 quarts of Motorcraft 5W20 full synthetic (as opposed to semi-synthetic).

As others have pointed out, the factory plug is a yellow composite material and comes off with a simple twist, no tools necessary. The oil flows out *very* quickly and shoots a full foot forward, so beware where you position your pan. The filter is under a plastic cover that secured by 6 bolts (I think they were 9/16 inch). The only real issue I had was that even though I removed the fill cap before starting, and fully drained the pan, some residual oil spilled out of the pan when I removed the filter. Since I'd already moved the drain pan to the filter area, it left a small mess that I had to wipe up. Next time I'd reinstall the plug before changing the filter, then drain the pan one more time. Overall it took about 45 minutes, but I don't know if I'd bother doing it again. With 1100 miles on the clock I was at 81% life remaining.

Good news is I should be good for 10K miles with full synthetic. Anyhow, enjoy the pics!

IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4647.JPG
IMG_4648.JPG
IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4650.JPG
IMG_4651.JPG
IMG_4653.JPG
IMG_4654.JPG
IMG_4655.JPG
IMG_4656.JPG
IMG_4657.JPG
IMG_4658.JPG
IMG_4659.JPG
IMG_4660.JPG
IMG_4661.JPG
IMG_4662.JPG
IMG_4664.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe overly cautious but I’ve always done my first change at 1,000 miles to get rid of any break in metal in the oil. It might not be necessary but it’s cheap insurance.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
You have me puzzled. Where did you come up with six screws? There is four holding that plastic cover on my car. Nice pictures.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
That's a helluva garage you have. I see you have a four post lift. I'm about ready for a lift. My old ass is tired of crawling on the floor. I just can't decide on two or four post.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have me puzzled. Where did you come up with six screws? There is four holding that plastic cover on my car. Nice pictures.
Take another look there are six.

OP
OP

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a helluva garage you have. I see you have a four post lift. I'm about ready for a lift. My old ass is tired of crawling on the floor. I just can't decide on two or four post.
I wish it were mine but I rented it for $6 per hour. Great price of course, but better yet it included tools and oil recycling disposal!

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
PP1 cars have a one bolt trap door that swings down for oil filter. Super easy. My oil @ 3100 miles was surprisingly clean.

Deleted member 35644

Wow. We've finally arrived at plastic drain plugs. I can't say that wouldn't make me a little nervous. But the plastic filter housing on my Speed 6 did too, so....progress.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
You get the one bolt trap door if you got the 20inch wheel option.

I ordered 5 drain plugs for $1.86 ea. The Ford part# is: KX6Z 6730 B
Cheap insurance in case I break one, which would be just my luck.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Wow. We've finally arrived at plastic drain plugs. I can't say that wouldn't make me a little nervous. But the plastic filter housing on my Speed 6 did too, so....progress.
I suspect all cars will have plastic pans and drain plugs soon. Like that much better than a drain bolt but less than current drain valves. I hope someone is making a drain valve for the new pans before I own one. The plastic drain plugs have a lot of the benefits of current drain valves EXCEPT the ability to send the oil thru a hose to its destination. Would like to avoid the mess, etc.. Even if you put the container where the stream first hits, there will still be some drips just as the drain plug is removed and splatters off the catch container, not to mention possibly having to chase the stream with the container as it peters out. I don't want to lose the ability to just open a valve and go get a cup of coffee, come back, close the valve and stash the hose..

LethalBlake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
My 2016 GTPP had the trap door for the oil filter also. On my 2018 GT, it has that plastic piece shown in the pictures. I've had it off twice now and I removed four screws to do it. The other two screws in the picture must be up inside those square holes. I didn't touch them.

mechpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thank you very much for this post, I'm going to be a new owner soon and have been debating about doing the oil changes myself. Doesn't seem as complicated as I thought. Anyone here have any suggestions for how to get under the car safely? That kinda freaks me out a bit. I'd love to have the posts you have but don't have the space for it or the 2k to spend on that either.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thank you very much for this post, I'm going to be a new owner soon and have been debating about doing the oil changes myself. Doesn't seem as complicated as I thought. Anyone here have any suggestions for how to get under the car safely? That kinda freaks me out a bit. I'd love to have the posts you have but don't have the space for it or the 2k to spend on that either.
For oil changes, ramps are the simplest. Just drive the front up on them and there is plenty of room to get to the filter and drain.
Sponsored