Catback exhaust for 2017 GT?

2panther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hello!

I'm picking up a 2017 GT, base on Thursday and I've been researching exhausts like crazy and I'm hoping to get a little clarification on what I'm seeing. After spending so much time researching different exhausts they kind of blend together like I've looked at too many. I've never really modded any cars before other than having tint put on so my knowledge is a little lacking.

I think the general consensus is that Borla ATAK and Corsa Extreme are the loudest options? I did read an article about the difference between an h-pipe and x-pipe and that the H will (should?) give me a deeper rumble versus some raspiness the X will produce? I'm not big on the raspy sound. That said I think I'm seeing more X pipes with catback exhausts, is it possible to put an H-pipe on one of those models instead of an X or would it just be a better idea to get something like the AWE Touring or Track edition that comes with the H-pipe?
Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
We love the AWE touring, one of our best sellers. the corsa and borla are nice as well. yes, the h will def make the sound deeper on the car. If you thin there is a chance you will add headers at any point, i would stay away from the extreme and atak. they will be obnoxiously loud with headers. i would lean toward sport / s type.

feel free to give me a ring with any questions you may have on any of the systems.

beef
513-478-1965
855 tbr race

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I second Beef. If you go catless all but the tame "sport/touring" systems will be obnoxious. Unless you're into that. If on a budget a cut and clamp h-pipe, and cut and clamp axleback is hard to go wrong. Doing that can also just do the h-pipe and leave stock mufflers for just a small increase in volume and still sound great, then axleback mufflers if you want a little more.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely love my Corsa Sport catback. IMO, it's the perfect sound for the S550/Coyote. You can't make this engine sound like a SBF or 2V 4.6, so accentuate the best parts of the Coyote. It's not as deep as some but nothing comes close to the midrange and high RPM sound the brand makes (the Xtreme is even more so). It's crystal clear, rich and dynamic. Also, absolutely zero drone, and quieter than the stock catback on the highway at cruise (hard to believe, but it is).

If you have no intentions on headers or cat deletes, and are ok with being LOUD, the Corsa Xtreme is an amazing sound (I've had both). It's violent, aggressive and exotic. I miss it sometimes, but overall prefer the added depth/richness of the Sport catback. Plus it's not OMG/obnoxious loud. With cat deletes or headers the Sport still sounds good and isn't crazy.

Sponsored

LethalBlake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150
Hello!

I'm picking up a 2017 GT, base on Thursday and I've been researching exhausts like crazy and I'm hoping to get a little clarification on what I'm seeing. After spending so much time researching different exhausts they kind of blend together like I've looked at too many. I've never really modded any cars before other than having tint put on so my knowledge is a little lacking.

I think the general consensus is that Borla ATAK and Corsa Extreme are the loudest options? I did read an article about the difference between an h-pipe and x-pipe and that the H will (should?) give me a deeper rumble versus some raspiness the X will produce? I'm not big on the raspy sound. That said I think I'm seeing more X pipes with catback exhausts, is it possible to put an H-pipe on one of those models instead of an X or would it just be a better idea to get something like the AWE Touring or Track edition that comes with the H-pipe?
First, congratulations on the new ride! There are a ton of options available on the market for you to choose from in terms of catback exhausts. If you are looking to minimize any raspiness then your best bet is the H pipe over the X. If you need any assistance with making a decision on specific exhaust our team here would be more than happy to help. Feel free to give us a shout. www.lethalperformance.com

OP
OP
2panther

2panther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
Vehicle Showcase
This might be a stupid question but will I need a tune of any kind after installing a catback?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
As some have said if even remotely considering headers stick with corsa sport over extremes. I wish I would have gone that route as I ended up adding resonators back in after the fact. Without long tubes Extreme is great.

However if wanting to avoid rasp there are definitely other options to consider.

OP
OP
2panther

2panther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first performance car so I've been looking around at all different systems. Is there any benefit to going with a catback system versus axle back? I'm still in factory warranty mode so I'm not going to be throwing every performance modification at it but would love something better than the stock exhaust.

I do believe the general consensus is Roush axle back and H pipe was insane loud, correct?

I was expecting to pay ~$1200 for a catback but just want to make sure I'm not missing a hidden gem with going axle back instead.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
This is my first performance car so I've been looking around at all different systems. Is there any benefit to going with a catback system versus axle back? I'm still in factory warranty mode so I'm not going to be throwing every performance modification at it but would love something better than the stock exhaust.

I do believe the general consensus is Roush axle back and H pipe was insane loud, correct?

I was expecting to pay ~$1200 for a catback but just want to make sure I'm not missing a hidden gem with going axle back instead.
Lose a bit of weight replacing the resonator with an X/H pipe and maybe pickup a few ponies. And yes the Roush is insane loud. I would recommend the Corsa Sport as well even though I don't have it on my car.

The Corsa Extreme is definitely the meanest exhaust for the 15-17s that I've heard.

Edit: also fair warning: the raspy sound comes from the engine moreso than it does from the exhaust. Some exhausts though definitely make it more raspy. In the high RPMs the engine will have some rasp. It's more about smoothness and clarity, but a little of that rasp will always be there. That's what I love about this engine personally. It doesn't sound like older muscle cars, it just won't no matter what you do.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Catback plus: no cutting, easily reversible, and generally a more overall 'tuned' sound
Axleback plus: cheaper, and the best way to go for a tame setup if keeping the suitcase resonator

I've had 6 different combinations of exhaust on my car, and the one I've now had on for about a year is the one I wanted originally back in late '15. My advice based on that experience is find the sound you like and don't cheap out. There are plenty who will try to convince you that it's a total waste of money, but they usually haven't experienced what those more expensive catbacks give you in return (no drone, tuned sound vs. just noise, fit and finish, 304 stainless, etc).

The best available, IMO:
Corsa Sport
FRPP Borla Sport
AWE Touring
Borla S-type

or for the LOUD ones:
Corsa Xtreme
Borla ATAK
Roush + X-pipe

latoracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 6-Speed, Recaro's, 600A
From someone who just ditched the stock mufflers w/ Steeda X pipe and went for an AWE Touring cat back, (sourced from Beefcake) I should have done this from the beginning and skipped the X pipe all together. MUCH improved exhaust note, simple install, no rattles or drone. I debated all the popular brands and didn't know how loud I wanted it. The AWE Touring is just right for DD use and won't attract the attention of too many law enforcement officials. I'm just happy to actually hear the exhaust with the windows up, like it is supposed to be. I would highly recommend this route.

Before
IMG_1426.jpg

After

IMG_1427.jpg

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
The best sounding exhausts (to my ears) that I've heard in person are the Solo Mach XV, and the ARH catback .ARH is quieter and really deep, with no drone. I love the h pipe giving it a burblier sound, but the solo exhausts sound really good too, and aren't raspy. I think the solo xatbacks are the best bang for buck out there. I haven't been a fan of the Corsa exhausts I've heard in person, just not my thing.

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Something to consider volume wise is to go quieter than you think you should. No one has ever hated their car to the point of not driving it because it was too quiet. You are just left wanting more or wondering if you should go louder. Go too loud and you are spending even more money to make it quieter or you might hate driving it/get into trouble for it.
Sponsored