Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I can tell the genuine article just from the way they talk... guys.....
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If 'back in the day' was before 1983, there was no confusion - the 8.8 hadn't been developed yet. What may be inserting a little confusion is that the 8.8 was intended to replace the 9" (I suspect for both weight and efficiency reasons, plus the fact that during the 1980's OE power levels weren't high enough to demand the 9's level of strength/durability).

FWIW, Ford did have an 8" (I think in the 1960's), distinct from either the 8.8 or the 9.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
There are significant differences between the 8.8 and the 9. The 8.8 goes together much like the GM 10-bolt (through a removable cover on the back side), while for the 9" everything bolts up as an assembly to the front side and there is no rear cover. There should be no confusion once the way things go together is considered.

Norm

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Here’s some more old fart tid bits.

Ferrari and Ferrari websites have been quietly padding their performance figures after the fact. Our cars were faster than many Ferraris on the road back then. Imagine my surprise seeing performance numbers that didn’t exist back in the day.

Reinventing history...

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Yup. So can we Mr. 9" in 5 OH.
You know it’s kinda cool to see how terms get reinvented over the years. I left Ford land and went to GM and the shitty LT1 before coming back.

“Fox Body” who came up with that? Ok I knew it was technically 8.8 but nobody up here ever called it that. That would be too anal... :crackup: And actually I am sure I never heard anyone ever call it an 8.8 - never ever heard it - I must be wrong - Nope...

That car was constantly in the ten best cars list year after year: “The engine is a tower of power and the stick shift is magic in your hands!”

Now the T5 is some hideous fragile piece of shit and a gerbil in the exercise wheel makes more power than the 5.0.! Yup that’s how it was back then. All I did was cry and put a bag over my head when I drove the car... :rockon:

Last edited:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I remember when I almost bought an SSP Notch.

Thank God I didn’t. The car was a total rats nest and had been to hell and back a few times. Never forgot the feeling of not having fully functioning brakes.

It’s probably still sitting in the same guys yard.

Anyway, I think it’s funny that we are talking about how the New Edge cars are obsolete tanks that felt like real muscle cars compared to the refinement of the 15+. People were having the same conversation about Fox Body cars when the new edge came out.. lol.

I still have a major soft spot for the 94-98 and 99-04 platforms. I remember looking at issues of Mustang and Ford Trader as a kid and absolutely drooling over the pictures of the Saleen SC-351 Speedster cars and their 200mph speedometer. I also remember thinking how fast my 00 GT was when I got it.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Yup. Just put down my car and their era.

Then when I get excited about the Mustang EV and it’s superiority, they prattle about how great their IC cars are and fail to see the similarity. I guess that’s how it is

BTW: I painted that 8.8/9” rear end by hand (in black). Did it with both cars. That’s true love!

regular6g

Threads
Reaction score
I'll never feel the same thrill I felt when first driving my used 85 GT no power windows and the last non- fuel injected GT offered. I was 17 and just like I remembered my first kiss, first.....well you get the idea. If that's the raw power you were referring to, than I agree. It wasn't so much the car being, "Raw" as it was me being completely awash in endorphins and my first , "Fast car"! Would I trade my 18 S550 for that Raw car, not a chance, but if I had to choose between those memories and my S550, that would a completely different answer.

I've matured, gotten more refined, and am thrilled Ford has done the same thing to the Mustang and I absolutely love every bit of it!

Sponsored

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
My 1993 190hp 5-speed gt felt like the quickest thing in the world. For those thirteen seconds or less, I was free.
That being said, I don't miss the pos.

Sub 100mph traps, ugly interior, terrible ride, no abs, a/c was as good as the ride, replacement interior / exterior pieces were never an oe fit, my cell phone put out more light than the headlights, the interior would rattle, I am glad the car is gone.

Kmty1c2.png

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
My 1993 190hp 5-speed gt felt like the quickest thing in the world. For those thirteen seconds or less, I was free.
That being said, I don't miss the pos.

Sub 100mph traps, ugly interior, terrible ride, no abs, a/c was as good as the ride, replacement interior / exterior pieces were never an oe fit, my cell phone put out more light than the headlights, the interior would rattle, I am glad the car is gone.

Kmty1c2.png
Lol but they sure did sound good. I could always tell a Mustang with the 5.0 and decent sounding exhaust without even seeing one drive by.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
View attachment 315944 When Camaro 5G introduced in May 2009, GM advertising touted that by comparison, the Mustang (S197), was primitive. I wrote on the C5G website that I liked primitive, 5 speed manual, solid axle, I still do along with several other posters here. I have a 2007 and 2017. I prefer the '07 on any sport drive. Total modified chassis: springs, control arms, shocks, struts, H&R 25mm spacers, P275/40R18, caster camber plates, slotted rotors, upgrade brake pads, Fays 2 watts link, Eibach sway bars, Detroit true track diff, 3.73:1 FR rear gears, 4" dia alum single piece drive shaft. The mods handle and perform ions better than stock, but amplify the raw signature solid axle Mustang character.

You either like it or you don't. I am just crazy about it. I bought the V6 '17 AT for daily driver. It is a world of refinement I admit to appreciating, but my heart belongs to the '07. Everything the '07 does feels special. Even backing out of the driveway. It is a hot rod, a Mustang. It knows what it is and does not let you forget.
Oldschool.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
My old 1989 5.0 went 18 years and 375,000km.

The first car was the stripper - then got smashed up - and the second had every option you could get. When I smashed up the first one I just could not get excited about replacing it with the same car so I got one loaded. That was a great move as I was able to keep the car when me and the misses got our first house. I started some small businesses later on and could not afford to get a new one but the that car just kept going which was great as I had no money at the time.

A superior car...

So now you know why I defend the thing like I do. It was emotional to give up that car in the end. Mustangs Alley bought it and had one of the employees drive me back home. And that was the last I saw of her. That relationship lasted longer than my marriage. And the sunroof never rusted all that time! But yes, I actually was under the car painting that rear end and the axle. The hardest part was the top of the housing and the mounts for those axle damper shock absorbers they used to have. While you guys were bitching about it being 8.8”, I was remembering what a bitch it was getting the brush and paint in there - how funny is that for a memory...

It’s all about how you related to the car in your life and most of us bought the car when we were young, dating and full of life. So is it any surprise we think the old cars were more exciting back in the day? I do - and I’ll keep defending the old cars. We ruled the roads in the late 80s!

BTW: I’m spending way too much time at this website...

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
View attachment 315944 When Camaro 5G introduced in May 2009, GM advertising touted that by comparison, the Mustang (S197), was primitive. I wrote on the C5G website that I liked primitive, 5 speed manual, solid axle, I still do along with several other posters here. I have a 2007 and 2017. I prefer the '07 on any sport drive. Total modified chassis: springs, control arms, shocks, struts, H&R 25mm spacers, P275/40R18, caster camber plates, slotted rotors, upgrade brake pads, Fays 2 watts link, Eibach sway bars, Detroit true track diff, 3.73:1 FR rear gears, 4" dia alum single piece drive shaft. The mods handle and perform ions better than stock, but amplify the raw signature solid axle Mustang character.

You either like it or you don't. I am just crazy about it. I bought the V6 '17 AT for daily driver. It is a world of refinement I admit to appreciating, but my heart belongs to the '07. Everything the '07 does feels special. Even backing out of the driveway. It is a hot rod, a Mustang. It knows what it is and does not let you forget.
Oldschool.JPG
Modify that '17 similarly and see what you think...

This thing handles.
Sponsored