jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Hi everyone,

So I converted to Sync 3 using @HextallS550 harness. However, 10 days after the conversion, my backup camera started acting up. I just had the camera replaced and the wiring harness in the trunk repaired/extended, and this is still giving me grief. I have an automatic transmission, and am suspecting that the problem lies within the pigtail harness that is built into the shifter bezel and shifter mechanism since I still get a good picture from the camera on occasion.

Anyone have the wiring diagram showing how the camera is routed through the car and/or connections that involve the camera? I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks
Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I have a bunch of the electrical system diagrams in my media of my profile, not sure if what you seek is there but maybe worth a look.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/media/users/5-0_sd.29061/
I looked at the diagrams...much to my surprise...none of the diagrams mention the reverse camera...however, I think the problem lies in the pigtail harness at the shift boot mechanisim since the camera still displays on the FCIM...but the signal is intermittent (though sometimes it comes in clear). @HextallS550 any ideas? Do you think it might have to do with your harness?

Last edited:

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Let us know your results, sorry I couldn't help more

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
When I was messing with my camera being INOP then the fob, etc etc I monkeyed around there and I started to suspect the harness was damaged in more than one spot further upstream of the trunk but I sold the car as/is before any of it ever got "fixed".

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Sweet!!! congrats on finding and fixing the problem.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well I thought I fixed the problem...but it is back again...thinking I am just going to disable the camera in Forescan and leave it at that...not going to spend more money on a part that is technically a "luxury item" (these backup cameras are pretty recent...we all learned how to drive without them). And I am certainly not going to give my Ford more money...its not worth it. The car drives great, the interior is comfortable, and I have Sync 3...so I am pretty happy.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well...decided to contact @HextallS550 and discuss the problem with them...took the dash apart and discovered too much movement within the wiring harness at the connector. Pushed wires back in and the problem seems to be solved.

@HextallS550 thank you so much for bearing with me and working with me in solving this problem. I know it is very frustrating to hear a customer is having problems and add on top of that, I know this is a part time gig for you.

Look forward to receiving the new harness and sending you back the old one for you all to have a look and diagnose.

When I receive the new one, I am probably going to push the wires as far forward as possible and put two dabs of 10-second epoxy on the wires and camera connector to ensure no movement is allowed.

However, this has been an incredible harness as everything else is working amazingly...people at car shows are genuinely surprised that this swap can be done and I try to refer as many people as I can to you when they ask me what needs to be done :D.

Thanks again.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Now I know why he didn't reply back to me today...lol...glad they got you sorted out...they are good peeps and bend over backwards to help us out. NO one on here should go through anyone else for sync 3 upgrade since they give such great care back to our community.

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Now I know why he didn't reply back to me today...lol...glad they got you sorted out...they are good peeps and bend over backwards to help us out. NO one on here should go through anyone else for sync 3 upgrade since they give such great care back to our community.
Bill, I have been talking with them over Facebook...very responsive...agree with you 100% about them...

Chris@HBH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
13 GT500
Bill, I have been talking with them over Facebook...very responsive...agree with you 100% about them...
Jason, that's because you were talking to me, LOL Bill, Thomas is in Cincinnati with his family unfortunately his dad had something called a TIA on Friday after they shocked his heart back into rhythm on Wednesday. He is still under observation at the hospital. If you still need the schematic text me and I will get into OASIS

We are looking into this issue carefully. It appears that all of the connectors are the same in that they display some amount of movement. The question is what is the allowable tolerance. Unfortunately, those connectors are all purchased from the same place. Unlike the 54 pin, which we paid a mold fee for, and use a Tyco terminal in the 12 pin is the same connector used by many aftermarket manufactures. One solution could be an epoxy but that seems like a band-aid and I doubt @HextallS550 is OK with band-aids. I have sent an email with the our concerns to the supplier and will wait to see the response. I am also going to put together a small test rig and see what I find. I am hoping that Thomas will be back tomorrow. He is aware of the issue and has been directing me in trying to pinpoint the cause.
Sponsored

Last edited: