Sponsored

Manual says to change Axle Lubricant after the first hour of high speed operation?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I saw in the manual that it says to change the axle lubricant and friction modifier after the first hour of high speed operation. I believe I have accumulated more than 1 hour of high speed operation in my 2k miles... Does this mean I should get the diff fluid changed?

L1U26G6.jpg
Sponsored

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Its in a section related to dedicated road course use. Is your car a dedicated road course car?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Good question. What defines "high speed"? I view this term as meaning all out full throttle, hard driving under road course or round track conditions. I suggest you contact a service center for Ford and get the answer to "high speed". I would love to hear their black and white clear cut definition for this and who the source is that provided you that answer. I would also encourage you to ask what defines "race type cooler" so you could then upgrade those and remain compliant with warranty.

I am assuming this is a factory vehicle and you have copied this from the owners manual.

A local in my area just dropped valves on 1 and 5 on a 2018 with about 4000 miles on it. Ford refused warranty because it was being road raced at the time of the occurrence. I'd be interested in your findings with regard to this page of information. Thanks.

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
i don't think the torsen diffs use a friction modifier as they are gear type lsd not clutch type

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
A local in my area just dropped valves on 1 and 5 on a 2018 with about 4000 miles on it. Ford refused warranty because it was being road raced at the time of the occurrence. I'd be interested in your findings with regard to this page of information. Thanks.
Are you saying that you TOLD the dealership that you were road racing the car when the engine blew up? What the service manager heard was... "you see, I was at this meet running the piss outta my 'stang when all of a sudden she let lose. I only over-reved her on a few down-shifts, but I'm getting the hang of it".
I must say that you were looking for Ford to deny warranty repairs.
Am I wrong?

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
From my understanding, that reference is intended for drivers that are subjecting their car to continuous sessions of high lateral loads on the diff which is typical on a road course. For street use, you would not need to adhere to those guidelines. Just follow the regular maintenance intervals specified in the manual and you will be good to go.

I find it highly unlikely that a street car would see the same type of stresses typically found on the track even for cars that do "canyon carving".

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Are you saying that you TOLD the dealership that you were road racing the car when the engine blew up? What the service manager heard was... "you see, I was at this meet running the piss outta my 'stang when all of a sudden she let lose. I only over-reved her on a few down-shifts, but I'm getting the hang of it".
I must say that you were looking for Ford to deny warranty repairs.
Am I wrong?
Read it again...and don't skim read it. I wrote , "A local in my area....", NOT me. I don't even know the person. I just saw the carnage and heard the story from the speed shop owner doing the long block swap after the person lost the battle on the warranty claim some how. I don't know what he chose to say to explain the occurrence. All I got from the story is that the car was on the track in stock form, dropped valves on 1 and 5 cylinders (saw that ugliness first hand) and Ford won't cover the warranty on it claiming it was being used in an off road application. How they came to that knowledge is unbeknownst to me. So yes you are wrong. You did not comprehend the written statement that was in second person reference, not first person.

Had it been me, I would have had the car towed in (removed any track wheels before hand obviously), and told them it had quit running and has 4000 miles on it. I would not have lied about it but I would not have rolled over either. One does not have to condemn himself in such matters to remain honest. Nor does one have to go into details so far as to lie about it either. Silence is golden in such matters. :wink:

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Read it again...and don't skim read it. I wrote , "A local in my area....", NOT me. I don't even know the person. I just saw the carnage and heard the story from the speed shop owner doing the long block swap after the person lost the battle on the warranty claim some how. I don't know what he chose to say to explain the occurrence. All I got from the story is that the car was on the track in stock form, dropped valves on 1 and 5 cylinders (saw that ugliness first hand) and Ford won't cover the warranty on it claiming it was being used in an off road application. How they came to that knowledge is unbeknownst to me. So yes you are wrong. You did not comprehend the written statement that was in second person reference, not first person.

Had it been me, I would have had the car towed in (removed any track wheels before hand obviously), and told them it had quit running and has 4000 miles on it. I would not have lied about it but I would not have rolled over either. One does not have to condemn himself in such matters to remain honest. Nor does one have to go into details so far as to lie about it either. Silence is golden in such matters. :wink:
Yea, I read that. I can't count the times I have heard, "asking for a friend" LOL.
Sponsored