Sponsored

Well, this could get interesting...e-COPO Electric Camaro

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Meh.

But... unfortunately, it is the way things are going.

We will get used to electric eventually. It will take on a whole new flavor though. Nothing like internal combustion power.

Some had speculated the GT500 would have a similar setup...

Sounds like everyone is dialing this in right now.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to revive interest in a dyeing name plate ain't going to work

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't find electric cars fun. They are interesting from a technical standpoint, but not fun. I might buy a cheap, self-driving electric for a commuter, but I'm not at all interested in an expensive electric performance vehicle.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't find electric cars fun. They are interesting from a technical standpoint, but not fun. I might buy a cheap, self-driving electric for a commuter, but I'm not at all interested in an expensive electric performance vehicle.
Performance electric cars are a rich mans play toy and I will never buy a self driving car. I might consider a electric car if it has a six or seven hundred mile range and not cost like a performance electric car.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

That's got to be an interesting drive. An electric motor hooked up to an automatic transmission.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Performance electric cars are a rich mans play toy and I will never buy a self driving car. I might consider a electric car if it has a six or seven hundred mile range and not cost like a performance electric car.
You must not have much traffic in your daily commute if you would never consider a self-driving car. I would love to have an extra hour in my day to do something I would enjoy a little more, especially in the winter months when traction is a little more limited and all the other cars on the road are driving super slowly.

Deleted member 35644

I won't do a self-driving car, but I did enjoy working at an office that was in close proximity to a commuter train station. 40 minutes of reading the paper, not worrying (much) about the driver hitting anything, or anyone hitting me. I wouldn't feel as safe about it in a car, on the road with the crazies.

An electric car would actually fit well into my life, but the inexpensive ones are still expensive, FWD, and ugly.

OP
OP
martinjlm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I won't do a self-driving car, but I did enjoy working at an office that was in close proximity to a commuter train station. 40 minutes of reading the paper, not worrying (much) about the driver hitting anything, or anyone hitting me. I wouldn't feel as safe about it in a car, on the road with the crazies.

An electric car would actually fit well into my life, but the inexpensive ones are still expensive, FWD, and ugly.
Pretty much true, but that’s more because we are at the start of the rollout of BEVs, so automakers were pretty much guessing on what segments to place the cars in. Some (Tesla, Porsche, Lucid) went for over the top because people who could afford those cars wouldn’t mind (or even notice) paying extra for the extra large battery packs. Some went very small so that physics wouldn’t defeat the battery range. They also tended to decontent the vehicle to make up for some of the cost of the battery. There are a number of more mainstream in appearance BEVs on the way to market. Now that LG Chem has cracked the code on getting reasonably sized battery packs past the 200 mile bogey at less than $150 per kWh, we’ll start seeing more decent sized sedans and small crossover vehicles powered by batteries.

Ironically, as I type this, I am at my local Chevy dealer trying to help my wife decide if her next car will be her 3rd Volt or a Chevy Bolt EV. Either way, it’s gonna have a plug. She’s gotten quite used to the idea of never having to stop for gas. Volts since 2012.

Can’t get past the irony of your statement “inexpensive ones are still expensive”. I actually get what I think you mean. Cars that would be a bargain at $25k cost $40k because of the battery.

OP
OP
martinjlm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious....have you ever driven one for more than 15 minutes? Because of my wife’s choice of vehicle, as well as work that I do, I have driven a number of electric cars, usually for several days at a time. I find most of them to be a blast to drive. I haven’t driven a Tesla 3 yet, but the Model S cars that I’ve driven are actually quite fun and quite capable. Even the little BMW i3s I drove a few weeks ago was a riot to drive. I totally annihilated a Challenger 5.7L R/T from a light in that car. In addition to the scary fast launch, it has almost zero overhang and one of the tightest turning radii I have ever experienced. It is super maneuverable. If it had a decent range and if it were not so profoundly ugly inside and out, I’d consider it.

I really hope I can get my hands on a Porsche Taycan when they come to market. That one has the potential to be a game-changer.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
The turnoff for me , is how do you modify an EV for more power/performance?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would never have a self driving car because I enjoy driving. And I like to have control with self driving something else is in control and who knows when a fatal glitch might happen there have been plenty of instances when self flying aircraft have crashed on take off because they thought all of a sudden they were landing.

OP
OP
martinjlm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would never have a self driving car because I enjoy driving. And I like to have control with self driving something else is in control and who knows when a fatal glitch might happen there have been plenty of instances when self flying aircraft have crashed on take off because they thought all of a sudden they were landing.
There are 5 levels of autonomous driving. Only Level 5 prevents you from driving. Most companies that are serious about autonomous are aiming for Level 4 for personal owners, Level 5 for Uber / Lyft robo-taxis.

The idea of Level 4 is you can drive yourself to work, then send your car back home to take the kids to school or take the grandparents to their doctor appointments. Then it would return back to your job so you can drive yourself home.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are 5 levels of autonomous driving. Only Level 5 prevents you from driving. Most companies that are serious about autonomous are aiming for Level 4 for personal owners, Level 5 for Uber / Lyft robo-taxis.

The idea of Level 4 is you can drive yourself to work, then send your car back home to take the kids to school or take the grandparents to their doctor appointments. Then it would return back to your job so you can drive yourself home.
Still not going to happen

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just curious....have you ever driven one for more than 15 minutes? Because of my wife’s choice of vehicle, as well as work that I do, I have driven a number of electric cars, usually for several days at a time. I find most of them to be a blast to drive. I haven’t driven a Tesla 3 yet, but the Model S cars that I’ve driven are actually quite fun and quite capable. Even the little BMW i3s I drove a few weeks ago was a riot to drive. I totally annihilated a Challenger 5.7L R/T from a light in that car. In addition to the scary fast launch, it has almost zero overhang and one of the tightest turning radii I have ever experienced. It is super maneuverable. If it had a decent range and if it were not so profoundly ugly inside and out, I’d consider it.

I really hope I can get my hands on a Porsche Taycan when they come to market. That one has the potential to be a game-changer.
I've never even been inside an electric vehicle, much less driven one.

However, I have driven several Porsche 911s and BMW Ms, and although they drove great, the engine sounds weren't good enough for me. Some Porsches especially reminded me of being in a library, with the engine sounds barely audible even with the radio turned off.

I'm not interested in a high end car that is virtually silent. And fake engine noises are even worse.
Sponsored