Sponsored

boardkat's Daily Driven CAM-C AutoX Slayer!

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI regarding the GM Turbo 4 CAM Camaro running CAM. They did some very aggressive tuning and "instant boost" things that resulted in VERY short turbo life. I don't recall how many turbos they said they destroyed but it was a LOT. However because it is a GM development car they were limited to GM parts which were not designed for the abuse. Being able to run aftermarket stuff in CAM, etc. might provide more appropriate parts.
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Look at the Day 2 Nationals results. Didn't a fellow Oregonian crush everyone in the class with his Camaro6 SS?

Nationals 2018 is an asterisk year like another well regarded champion stated numerous times elsewhere.

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
FYI regarding the GM Turbo 4 CAM Camaro running CAM. They did some very aggressive tuning and "instant boost" things that resulted in VERY short turbo life. I don't recall how many turbos they said they destroyed but it was a LOT. However because it is a GM development car they were limited to GM parts which were not designed for the abuse. Being able to run aftermarket stuff in CAM, etc. might provide more appropriate parts.
GRM interviewed the CAM GM guys and they said they were using anti-lag to keep the turbo spooled up for off-throttle. That means dumping a bunch of fuel in a cylinder and a bunch of air in others and letting it ignite in the turbine. It's essentially an E85 powered turbine which is extremely hard on the turbo both in heat and pressure loading. Not an issue if you have a parts bin full of free turbos to consume. Having built a SM MR2 with a big turbo which used anti-lag, I wouldn't recommend it.
-Brian M

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
GRM interviewed the CAM GM guys and they said they were using anti-lag to keep the turbo spooled up for off-throttle. That means dumping a bunch of fuel in a cylinder and a bunch of air in others and letting it ignite in the turbine. It's essentially an E85 powered turbine which is extremely hard on the turbo both in heat and pressure loading. Not an issue if you have a parts bin full of free turbos to consume. Having built a SM MR2 with a big turbo which used anti-lag, I wouldn't recommend it.
-Brian M
Thanks for the details Brian. I watched the GRM interview also but totally forgot about it being both the source of the info and also forgot the details.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I run a Eco in DS and have wondered the same! 2.0 block on E85 with the weight reduction, could be a beast! BoardKat, I'm wanting to start doing my own alignment for street and autoX. How close do you get your alignment without the machine?
if you have smartstrings, it's pretty quick to get your car squared to make toe adjustments, 10 minutes or less when you've done it as many times as i have :)
that said, if you don't have a lift, it gets pretty tiresome jacking the car up, making an adjustment, letting it back down and re-measuring. i've confirmed my measurements on a rack numerous times, and they're always what i expect them to be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Look at the Day 2 Nationals results. Didn't a fellow Oregonian crush everyone in the class with his Camaro6 SS?

Nationals 2018 is an asterisk year like another well regarded champion stated numerous times elsewhere.
brandon was even quicker, albeit with cones. both good examples of what great driving in a well-setup car can accomplish.
.. but could you imagine if they were @ 3250 with better than 50/50 balance and 400wtq with a properly setup suspension? welcome to the gen6 world ;)

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
brandon was even quicker, albeit with cones. both good examples of what great driving in a well-setup car can accomplish.
.. but could you imagine if they were @ 3250 with better than 50/50 balance and 400wtq with a properly setup suspension? welcome to the gen6 world ;)
That last statement...yeah, ugh.

They're was a 15-17 something EB PP on a used car lot in Redmond recently that got me thinking some craziness. Fortunately, Julie is like "hell no, no V8 noises" and keeps me on course, haha.

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
I am building my EB specifically for auto-x, basically CAM seeing as I already have aftermarket parts and the ultimate goal of my car. Its nice seeing the s550 chassis is so competitive, wish there were more EB cars so I can see what others are doing, besides just GTs. Not that its a bad thing lol

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
not giving up on M6G, but have decided to start documenting build/competition progress on FB (and working to get a solid pic workflow going eventually via IG). for anyone interested, updates will be posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/boardkat.racing/

still appreciate the mustang community, and will be sure to keep technical discussion going here.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
not giving up on M6G, but have decided to start documenting build/competition progress on FB (and working to get a solid pic workflow going eventually via IG). for anyone interested, updates will be posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/boardkat.racing/

still appreciate the mustang community, and will be sure to keep technical discussion going here.
Any chance you'll post or copy/paste occasional summaries here?

Let's just say I have a specific reason for never creating a presence on any of the major social media and leave it at that.

Norm

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Any chance you'll post or copy/paste occasional summaries here?

Let's just say I have a specific reason for never creating a presence on any of the major social media and leave it at that.

Norm
no guarantees, especially since this thread has mostly become a showcase rather than a technical discussion - which is better suited for social media IMO.

back in the day when i didn't know much about cars, i found build threads quite useful - and the people i saw on the forums were the same people i was seeing on race day. as the years have progressed, this correlation has diminished, and i'm rarely looking to solicit opinions anymore, least of all from random people on the internet. i've come to trust my process and those that i know personally through racing.

oh and the migration away from vBulletin? :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
this new format plain sucks, as others have said. guess i'm already old and crusty long before my time :crackup:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You can't be that old and crusty or you would avoid social media like me and Norm.

But yeah, new forum software is a big step backwards.
Sponsored