Sponsored

Leaked GT500 Pics and specs from dealer meeting today!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I sure hope so. Cause that front end is the worst in the history of Mustangs!:thumbsdown:
Sponsored

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
I like the blacked out front end as its a departure from traditional mustangs as well as different from the GT350 as well, I feel it gives the GT500 a menacing look that I personally like. IMHO My thinking may be a bit biased as my current Focus RS has that same section of the grill blacked out as well...

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
"A" GT500 implies the street car so I'm not so certain of what type or configuration you're positing.

The GT4 Mustang is a body in white (regular S550) with a cage welded in at Watson Engineering in Michigan. It is then shipped to Multimatic in Markham, Ontario. The car is a custom build that meets a homologated specification with the SRO which allows it to be raced in IMSA and PWC. Multimatic uses GT350 front fenders/nose, factory rear fascia, factory roof and rear quarter panels, but the remainder of the body is CF. The car isn't a GT350 and nobody claims it is. The engine is a cross plane crank 5.2L and comes from Roush/Yates, uses some factory castings, but for the most part is nothing like what you can get from Ford. This is how it gets done.

Could Ford have the GT500 "body" homologated and be used instead of the GT350-esque in GT4? I suppose so. Would Ford be using a supercharged engine in the GT4 car? No (as in no way Jose). Aside from autocross or open tracking, I'm not sure what series a GT500 would ever be used in.

Are you daft? That is EXACTLY what I am suggesting to these people...

Subsequently, the Mustang that they do race... is a considered a "GT350".
And Watson Engineering/Racing (I live 5 miles from there) , picks the white "GT350 bodies" with ROLL CAGE already in them from FRAP, and then from there, they begin to homologate them for their series.

Why again, won't the GT500 be road racing..?
Not sure why you believe it needs a supercharger to race in any series... Or are you more inclined to think the GT500 will come kitted with a parachute and big fat rears, optioned like the Cobrajet for drag racing... like some here tend to think the GT500 is geared for..?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had a ‘76 Mustang that thinks you need to take that back.
We can include just about any mustang from 71-98 in that. not a huge fan of the GT500 front, but it's still an S550 lol

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Subsequently, the Mustang that they do race... is a considered a "GT350".
That is the mistaken assumption that many make. I already went through what and why. The car is a full custom build from a body in white. It is not considered a "GT350" by Ford, the SRO, Multimatic, the teams that run them, or IMSA/PWC. It is a GT4 Mustang.

w3rkn said:
And Watson Engineering/Racing (I live 5 miles from there) , picks the white "GT350 bodies" with ROLL CAGE already in them from FRAP, and then from there, they begin to homologate them for their series.
No. Watson does the FIA cages for FR. The cage is 100% installed by Watson. They seam/stitch weld the body/chassis as well. FR signs off on the work done and the cars are shipped to Multimatic. I don't know where you heard otherwise because it is incorrect - understandable because there is a bit of misinformation out there. I know because I've been to Multimatic and I happened to just have spent the past season in the Continental series embedded with one of the teams in the series. Here's a good resource from Tom Wilson that might help bring you up to speed...
https://www.turnology.com/features/car-features/a-detailed-look-at-the-kohr-mustang-gt4-road-racer/

And Tom is right in the caption for the following photo as well...
Z%20Watson%20GT4%20cage-X2.jpg

w3rkn said:
Why again, won't the GT500 be road racing..?

I explained that in a previous post. You might want to read it.

w3rkn said:
Not sure why you believe it needs a supercharger to race in any series... Or are you more inclined to think the GT500 will come kitted with a parachute and big fat rears, optioned like the Cobrajet for drag racing... like some here tend to think the GT500 is geared for..?
I already explained where the GT4 Mustang engine is sourced and what it is comprised of. The GT500 will utilize a supercharged 5.2L cross plane engine. YOU are the one suggesting that FR will "race" a "GT500". So what are you thinking in your head because you haven't expressed it....that FR will race a "GT500" (still don't know if you are implying some kind of street car or a BIW ala the GT4 that would be no more a GT500 beyond a few body panels fitted for appearance) but that it would/wouldn't use the actual engine that makes a GT500 a GT500? It'd be nice if you could lay out exactly what you are thinking here.

I never alluded to anything drag related so I'm not sure why you mention that at all.

On Edit - don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the GT500 exploited by Ford and developed to the hilt. Sadly, based on Ford's current state of business affairs, public attitude of fossil fuels in general, and the fact that Ford/Multimatic already developed the GT4 car, I don't see it.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
That is the mistaken assumption that many make. I already went through what and why. The car is a full custom build from a body in white. It is not considered a "GT350" by Ford, the SRO, Multimatic, the teams that run them, or IMSA/PWC. It is a GT4 Mustang.

No. Watson does the FIA cages for FR. The cage is 100% installed by Watson. They seam/stitch weld the body/chassis as well. FR signs off on the work done and the cars are shipped to Multimatic. I don't know where you heard otherwise because it is incorrect - understandable because there is a bit of misinformation out there. I know because I've been to Multimatic and I happened to just have spent the past season in the Continental series embedded with one of the teams in the series. Here's a good resource from Tom Wilson that might help bring you up to speed...
https://www.turnology.com/features/car-features/a-detailed-look-at-the-kohr-mustang-gt4-road-racer/

And Tom is right in the caption for the following photo as well...
Z%20Watson%20GT4%20cage-X2.jpg

I explained that in a previous post. You might want to read it.

I already explained where the GT4 Mustang engine is sourced and what it is comprised of. The GT500 will utilize a supercharged 5.2L cross plane engine. YOU are the one suggesting that FR will "race" a "GT500". So what are you thinking in your head because you haven't expressed it....that FR will race a "GT500" (still don't know if you are implying some kind of street car or a BIW ala the GT4 that would be no more a GT500 beyond a few body panels fitted for appearance) but that it would/wouldn't use the actual engine that makes a GT500 a GT500? It'd be nice if you could lay out exactly what you are thinking here.

I never alluded to anything drag related so I'm not sure why you mention that at all.

On Edit - don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the GT500 exploited by Ford and developed to the hilt. Sadly, based on Ford's current state of business affairs, public attitude of fossil fuels in general, and the fact that Ford/Multimatic already developed the GT4 car, I don't see it.

You have not explained anything to me at all. I am often trackside too.

I am aware of everything you just mentioned and I thought this conversation was beyond what is comprised of a "race car". Your post is technically inaccurate, because currently the "white gt350 body" does indeed come out of FRAP with the roll cage already pre-welded in, before Wilson Engineering picks up the body. I have 1st hand knowledge of this.

Secondly, you are trying to suggest that Ford Performance doesn't market and race a Mustang GT4 as a GT350..?

Mind you, nobody said stock GT350 like you are assuming other's have said, or implying that others believe such "race cars" come off the assembly line...lol. Ford Performance, markets it's GT4 "race car" as a GT350, even though it is not the exact same production engine, etc.

So... why wouldn't Ford Performance market and race the GT500 in the exact same way... (?)

Lastly, what is the focus, or point of the GT500..? To sit in a garage, or to be raced..? If so, how will Ford Motor Company promote it's racing heritage through the GT500..? What series will it be racing in..?

None... as you suggest?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You are doubling down and wrong.

Again...
The raw GT4 bodies are stamped but left un-welded when shipped from Ford first to Watson Engineering in Taylor, Michigan, where they’re seamed welded together. Watson also adds the oil tank, gas tank and roll cage, designed by Ford Performance and Multimatic.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...racing-ford-performance-race-car-gt4-mustang/

Chuck Watson must live in an alternative reality, eh?
Chuck Watson said:
We also build the FP 350S road-race cars and the GT4 chassis for Ford.”
https://www.racepagesdigital.com/ch...atson-racing-and-mastermind-behind-the-wheel/

Your "first hand" knowlege of the process and the players involved is simply incorrect. And as I said, Ford Racing doesn't market the GT4 Mustang as some sort of GT350. It is a GT4 Mustang, period.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/gt4/

Last edited:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
GT4 is a class. Porsche has a Cayman that races in GT4 (Cayman GT4), BMW has an M4 (M4 GT4), Audi's R8 (R8 GT4), but is it called a "GT350 GT4"?

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Put me on the list of people who rather like the blackened front bumper. I can hardly wait to see the new GT500 , but I probably will not be able to purchase one for a few more years unless Ford gives out more allocations to their dealers.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Either it's the angle, lighting, combination thereof making it look barf, but the car is a stunner.

The only things I personally don't care for are the giant, Crayola, unimaginative Cobra emblems just tacked on the grill and decklid. Super cheese. The GT350 did an amazing job with badging - bringing it to the modern era. the GT500 steps backward on that front and looks like a 12 year old came up with it during recess.

But the rest looks pretty great (still wish they would have developed model-specific headlamps though...).

When legit pics come out, no one will remember the look of this leak.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Either it's the angle, lighting, combination thereof making it look barf, but the car is a stunner.

The only things I personally don't care for are the giant, Crayola, unimaginative Cobra emblems just tacked on the grill and decklid. Super cheese. The GT350 did an amazing job with badging - bringing it to the modern era. the GT500 steps backward on that front and looks like a 12 year old came up with it during recess.

But the rest looks pretty great (still wish they would have developed model-specific headlamps though...).

When legit pics come out, no one will remember the look of this leak.
That front black bumper looks like shit. What the hell are they thinking.

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your post is technically inaccurate, because currently the "white gt350 body" does indeed come out of FRAP with the roll cage already pre-welded in, before Wilson Engineering picks up the body. I have 1st hand knowledge of this.
Your "1st hand knowledge" is incorrect- well kind of. Watson welds everything in, sends the BIW back out to Ford to be painted/dipped and then comes back to Watson. This applies for the FP350S and the GT4 cars.

Sponsored