honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I just loop inside the wheels. I've trailer-ed the car 25ish times this way and no problems so far!

Are you towing with on an open or closed trailer?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I do not like tying the chassis down. I want the suspension to be able to move with the road bumps. I tow in neutral, through the wheels and cross my straps. They make a nice wheel strap with protection for the wheel. Much better choice

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I have a Futura low load (open trailer) and use the Futura tire tie downs.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I do not like tying the chassis down. I want the suspension to be able to move with the road bumps. I tow in neutral, through the wheels and cross my straps. They make a nice wheel strap with protection for the wheel. Much better choice
I don't know if there's any validity to this or not, but my understanding of trailering a vehicle is that the suspension should be compressed at all times by a tie-down method. That's because the wheel bearings are greased, and if they're not turning and constantly re-distributing the grease, the grease can be "bashed" out of the contact area of the bearing if the chassis is free to push up and down on the bearing when the bearing can't move.

I got this from someone that had run a vehicle delivery trucking company. Could be nonsense though.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I don't know if there's any validity to this or not, but my understanding of trailering a vehicle is that the suspension should be compressed at all times by a tie-down method. That's because the wheel bearings are greased, and if they're not turning and constantly re-distributing the grease, the grease can be "bashed" out of the contact area of the bearing if the chassis is free to push up and down on the bearing when the bearing can't move.

I got this from someone that had run a vehicle delivery trucking company. Could be nonsense though.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-9908-race-car-tie-downs/

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same tie down points as OP and jacking rails. The bolts for the jacking rails are long enough to mount the tie down points.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
What am I missing - it's about how to load a trailer, not how to load a car.

Strapping down the tires keeps the car from coming off the trailer, and you should do it. My friend said you should also strap down the chassis to protect the wheel bearings.
It does say tie down by the axle and indicates not limiting the suspension. Maybe I misread it

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It does say tie down by the axle and indicates not limiting the suspension. Maybe I misread it
Could be my friend's advice is out of date... modern sealed wheel bearings might be fine.
Sponsored