Sponsored

Dealer Oil Change (under Ford Extended Service Plan)

JWB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R (Kona Blue)
I took my GT350R to a local dealer today to have an oil and oil filter change at 950 mi. When I bought the car two months ago (at a different dealer) I paid for a 7 yr full service plan (and 7 yr extended warranty) on my car.

I personally didn't care if this first change was or was not under the plan (since I didn't view it as the normal 7.5K mile change); however, the service tech putting the information in the computer system indicated it would be covered, except that because I would need 5W50 full synthetic I would need to pay a differential price of $84. When the car was finished he walked me to the cashier and handed the cashier some paperwork with a $84 handwritten charge indicated in ink on the first page of the paperwork. Anyway, the cashier ultimately said zero charge (i.e., the computer system shows that its all covered).

I guess i am wondering why a dealer would take the position that an extended full service contract from Ford, would not include the full cost of 5W50 Full Synthetic Oil, which is the only approved oil to be put in the GT350R? Also, I am wondering if Ford would even offer such a plan that would not cover the full cost of the required oil, since theoretically, you could say okay put in what the service plan pays for, and still leave Ford on the hook if something happened to the engine (as a result of the dealer following the prepaid service plan instead of what Ford requires).

When I complete the future service quality survey emailed by Ford, I will discuss this. Just seems strange (although my guess is the computer system at the dealer may prevent/catch this type of stuff going forward).

On the plus side, the car is in this dealer's computer system now, along with information relating to the extended warranty and service plans.
Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
That tech is a fool. If you have a factory backed service plan it would have to cover factory required service and correct spec materials for said service.

swamp_gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
He might have been trying to charge you for anything over 5 quarts of oil. In some of the email ads I get from my local dealer, they advertise a free oil change(fine print - *up to 5 quarts). Perhaps he is more accustomed to the free/complimentary oil changes and went into robot mode. However, if your extended warranty is supposed to cover these oil changes, then it sounds like the cashier corrected the matter. CHECK YOUR OIL level after having a dealership oil change. The 5.2L Voodoo has a higher oil capacity(10 qts) than the other Mustang engines, and there have been several instances of under filled engines.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I took my GT350R to a local dealer today to have an oil and oil filter change at 950 mi. When I bought the car two months ago (at a different dealer) I paid for a 7 yr full service plan (and 7 yr extended warranty) on my car.......
It's possible whoever sold you the maintenance plan didn't quote you the correct plan, and/or the system doesn't automatically upcharge you correctly.. If you look on floodfordesp.com, the price you see on the charts are for synthetic blends. I also didn't know this, but when I called for a quote, the person said since my car required full synthetic, it would be a few hundred extra. I have no issues getting oil changes, and there is no extra charges either.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I took my GT350R to a local dealer today to have an oil and oil filter change at 950 mi. When I bought the car two months ago (at a different dealer) I paid for a 7 yr full service plan (and 7 yr extended warranty) on my car.

I personally didn't care if this first change was or was not under the plan (since I didn't view it as the normal 7.5K mile change); however, the service tech putting the information in the computer system indicated it would be covered, except that because I would need 5W50 full synthetic I would need to pay a differential price of $84. When the car was finished he walked me to the cashier and handed the cashier some paperwork with a $84 handwritten charge indicated in ink on the first page of the paperwork. Anyway, the cashier ultimately said zero charge (i.e., the computer system shows that its all covered).

I guess i am wondering why a dealer would take the position that an extended full service contract from Ford, would not include the full cost of 5W50 Full Synthetic Oil, which is the only approved oil to be put in the GT350R? Also, I am wondering if Ford would even offer such a plan that would not cover the full cost of the required oil, since theoretically, you could say okay put in what the service plan pays for, and still leave Ford on the hook if something happened to the engine (as a result of the dealer following the prepaid service plan instead of what Ford requires).

When I complete the future service quality survey emailed by Ford, I will discuss this. Just seems strange (although my guess is the computer system at the dealer may prevent/catch this type of stuff going forward).

On the plus side, the car is in this dealer's computer system now, along with information relating to the extended warranty and service plans.
What is the recommended mileage to get the first oil change? I'm sure there are a lot of opinions as when to do this but I haven't seen anything official.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Ford dealers are just blanks when it comes to GT350's. Especially when the service in question is different from standard mustang. I asked my ford service manager what's different on a Gt350 oil change from a standard mustang, he answer was I think it takes different oil. Any thing different about the filter nope they are all the same.
Sponsored