Still happy you bought a 10 sp auto?

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I like the A10 a lot. Unfortunately, my GT with 16,xxx miles has developed some really odd behavior.

Anytime I have the shifter in S or toggle to S+, or Track. The shift from 2-3 is very jerky and makes the car lunge forward. The 4-5 shift is so hard (not a good way like a firm shift), that the jerkyness makes my foot come off the pedal and then presses it back on the gas which makes the car buck. Now, I can be is S, S+, or Track and use the paddle shifters and the results are the same! The shift from 4-5 is really violent. There are two ways I do not feel this 1) if I am at WOT (if I am at 20% or 50% throttle I can shift at 4K RPM or 6K, the shift is really harsh and jerky. 2) In DRAG MODE, if I let the car shift on its own or use the paddle shifters, the 4-5 shift is smooth as ever!

I am so confused due to this behavior. It makes the car very scary to drive because the other day I was on an on-ramp and shift the gear lever to S and pressed the gas half way, when the car shifted from 4-5, I was still on a slight curve and the rear kicked out due to the violent shift. Yes, not liking this one bit. Wonder if the trans is about to give out or is this a software issue because I cannot replicate this behavior in Drag mode.
I think you are confused about what the sport mode does. When in sport mode on purpose the shifts are very direct, comparable to banging manual shifts with full throttle. There is no gradual engagement like a normal auto which will gradually and smoothly engage the next gear. The normal drive mode is sort of in between a normal transmission and the sport mode. Also in sport mode if you pay attention to the tach the rpm hardly drops on shift because of the direct engagement and the design. The more throttle the higher the rpm when shifting which does produce banging the gears. In MHO sport mode is not intended for lazy city traffic condition driving.
Sponsored

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
After my 2017 Camaro with the 8 speed transmission issues and having to get rid of the car after 6K miles, I am leery on any automatic now- although read many great things about this 10 speed. I am a manual guy, always have been, about to turn 60 and I too wanted a change in my life from rowing gears so I thought what could go wrong- 8 speeds, automatic, quick off the line acceleration, no thinking, better gas mileage, more gears to play with while paddle shifting. So I bought the Camaro, my very first automatic-and probably my last. Long story short it had the shudder problem.

I think the automatics have too many gears and are too complicated but they are rocket fast- especially off the line. I have the MT-82, which so many have stated their dislike of it. But it's one of the best shifting and smoothest transmissions I ever shifted- second only to a Miata ND. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one. I sometimes wish I had an automatic for stomping on off the line to beat the Accords and Camrys- where the manual you really have to work it and it's so much slower than the automatic. But rowing the gears in the MT-82, my personal experience with an auto 8 speed and feeling 10 gears is too many and something could go wrong, I'll stick with manual.

And oh, so interesting on the gas mileage. I thought that with 8 gears in the automatic the MPG would be outstanding- especially using the paddle shifters. When I used the paddle shifters the car would inhale gas- even shifting at low-mid RPM. I averaged 27 MPG in the Camaro (letting it shift normally) and got up to 34 on back road trips- not bad. With the MT-82 in the GT I am averaging over 25- almost as much as the Camaro- and the Camaro was a V6, the Mustang has a V8. I feel that you can get better MPG with a manual- if you know how to drive it for MPG, when you want to.
The only thing I can say from my own experience, ('03 Mustang GT 5speed, '18 Mustang GT 10speed auto), is that my '18 gets better gas mileage then the '03 mostly I thing because the top 3 gears are overdrive and on my '03 even at city traffic speeds I tended to run the gears out.

PSUpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 V-6 Premium Convertible
I feel the same way about my GT Premium A10 that is approaching 8,000 miles. It's very fast and relatively smooth upshifting, which is great for performance. However, its clunky nature when downshifting into 1st gear when I am braking to a full stop really irritates me. I took it to my dealer and they drove it over 17 miles. The technician said the problem is the transmission shifts from 3 to 1 coming to stop, and this skipping 2nd tends to make the shift rough. He also said there in no solution available and several customers - mostly F150 customers - have complained about this rough downshifting. I don't see why Ford could not program the normal mode so the transmission downshifts into 1st without the thud (you can't hear a thud, just feel one). Also, I often view the gear displayed on the nice digital dash and I have seen all gears displayed except 2nd gear. I realize this displayed gear probably lags behind the actual current gear, however, it does puzzle me why the transmission never seems to use 2nd gear?? Other than the clunky A10, I love to DD my 2018 GT.

Me too. The downshift jump from third to first is annoying. I thought t was because that was how the transmission adapted to my driving. Overall coming from a six speed manual years old I am ok with the auto.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I think you are confused about what the sport mode does. When in sport mode on purpose the shifts are very direct, comparable to banging manual shifts with full throttle. There is no gradual engagement like a normal auto which will gradually and smoothly engage the next gear. The normal drive mode is sort of in between a normal transmission and the sport mode. Also in sport mode if you pay attention to the tach the rpm hardly drops on shift because of the direct engagement and the design. The more throttle the higher the rpm when shifting which does produce banging the gears. In MHO sport mode is not intended for lazy city traffic condition driving.
The transmission didnt do that for the last 14000 miles. I have been driving it hard since 2500 miles. This is new behavior

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I really like the 10R80. Only have about 500 miles on mine, but it’s pretty solid. The drive modes are great. Normal mode is fine for everyday driving even if it is really aggressive at trying to get to tenth gear. Switch modes if I’m looking for it to give me more time in each gear.

Sponsored

rf_ross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Chevy Colorado
Put in drive - step on the accelerator - go. The 10 speed automatic is one of the top reasons that I bought my GT. My car has the optional 3.55 axle and I suppose the feel of the transmission could be different with the 3.15. But I love the way mine shifts lightning fast. It's just awesome.

My only complaint, and it's just minor, is the few times that I've used the paddle shifter to upshift it seemed a little slow to react. But 99.9% of the time I let the transmission do the thinking and shift itself.

Another bonus for me is my consistent 28 - 29 mpg on the highway when driven with a light foot.

The automatic is a great choice!

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Put in drive - step on the accelerator - go. The 10 speed automatic is one of the top reasons that I bought my GT. My car has the optional 3.55 axle and I suppose the feel of the transmission could be different with the 3.15. But I love the way mine shifts lightning fast. It's just awesome.

My only complaint, and it's just minor, is the few times that I've used the paddle shifter to upshift it seemed a little slow to react. But 99.9% of the time I let the transmission do the thinking and shift itself.

Another bonus for me is my consistent 28 - 29 mpg on the highway when driven with a light foot.

The automatic is a great choice!
Holy crap, I got about 12 MPG with my last 2 mustangs. (2014 GT Premium Convertible and 2017 GT Premium PP) Granted they were weekend / sunny / fun day cars so I pretty much drove them like I stole 'em every time I was in them. But still significant difference.

rf_ross

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Chevy Colorado
Holy crap, I got about 12 MPG with my last 2 mustangs. (2014 GT Premium Convertible and 2017 GT Premium PP) Granted they were weekend / sunny / fun day cars so I pretty much drove them like I stole 'em every time I was in them. But still significant difference.
Mine is a mostly nice weather car that I bought to use as a performance Grand Touring car - basically for road trips. But I found that if I drive it sanely on the highway at no more than 2 - 3 mph over the speed limit it gets great mileage. Around town is a different story because once warmed up I usually flip it into Sport + mode just because I like the shift feel and the sound. It's an all around super fun car.

orangefury5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I initially went to the Ford Dealer looking for the 6 speed manual trans model. I actually did not do any research on the 10spd auto. The salesman mentioned to me the new 10spd auto. I never thought in a million years i would have purchased the automatic model. Even my wife shocked that i would go with a auto trans. After test driving both i went with the auto right away.

6 months later and 15k miles in the car i do not regret it. I daily drive my car (mostly highway driving). i really enjoy the different modes (especially "Track Mode").

I am 100% happy with the way the transmission works and how well it shifts.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
This is my 2nd 2018 with the auto and I love it. In my youth I thought autos really wasted performance cars but the development of auto transmissions being the fastest available version has totally changed that.

My car lurches a lot at low speeds, especially when the transmission hasn’t warmed up but you get used to it.

Sponsored

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
I have a MY19 GT with 1200 miles and I can add a few observations that I've made. In normal mode under easy acceleration I never see 2nd gear, it gives a bit of a lurch and I'm immediately in 3rd. From there it's great but it likes a steady gas pedal. If you are on/off the gas it will treat you like a confused driver. The harder you accelerate the better this trans is. If I'm looking at a possible stoplight pull with someone I shift to S and then I get all gears when accelerating. If you don't want the rev-match downshifts just slide it into D before you have to stop. I love this thing and it is very fun to drive!

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
No, but I don't have a 10sp auto.
However, if I had known my wife wouldn't be driving the '17 GT, I'd bought a manual
transmission car instead of the auto.............

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Mine has been outstanding for 5300 miles. Since it's "just" an Ecoboost, it's not the beast that a GT is, but part of the appeal of the A10 was that I thought it would work better with the turbo than a stick. I've driven MT's exclusively for the last 24 years, and this was a deliberate change to try the A10. Last DD was a small engine with M5 trans, and it got old on my commute when traffic was bad. I was prepared to order a 17 with M6 over the A6, but jumped on the 18 when I learned about the A10. In my experience, the A10 does play well with the turbo, and all of the drive modes work great. I just can't get over how this car pulls through each gear when you mat it... bang-bang-bang-bang-bang... It's like an old-school muscle car auto with a good shift kit on the gas, but really smooth cruising.

I will note that when cold, the shift from reverse to drive sometimes seems to hang up and not shift for a second or two. Let off the gas and it drops in, and doesn't do it again the rest of the day. Not sure why, but it looks like I'm not the only one seeing this.

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
I've got about 14,000 highway miles on my 2018 GT PP Auto and about 1200 of those are on it's second transmission. I'm about 1200 miles in with the replacement and it's now leaking. When you've got your foot in it, the A10 is great. Everywhere else it's kinda meh. Still clunky on some low speed downshifts in traffic and somehow the whining sound is even louder with the 2nd tranny (even the service manager thought it was louder than others he's heard). I like the look of the car and the engine sounds great and pulls hard but the transmission is a let down.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Sounds like Ford needs a serious software revision or something with their 10 speed. My Accord 10-speed is flawless and never hunts for gears in Eco or Normal mode or jerks and sport mode is crazy good. Hopefully they can smooth things up in the coming years.
Sponsored