Sponsored

Another '18 Coyote engine to bite the dust. (Buy back accepted)

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
I also wonder how something like this gets by all of the engine testing and mules they have running around prior to selling these cars....
Sponsored

Gtgpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When did this start. Is this something going back to the 15s?

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Just an update. Dealer heard the ticking and is stating that it definitely is not normal. They are moving forward with replacing the cam shaft position sensors in the morning and if that doesn't resolve the issue they want to order a short block. Will update further tomorrow.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Video of Ticking at its worst so far:
That sounds horrible. Don't see how cam phasers could make sounds like that, so it will be interesting to see what new phasers do.

I wish a dealer would tear down an engine to find the cause, but Ford has them send the short block back and we never hear what the problem was. X-Files ... :bandit:

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only positive thing I can say in my case is that the car still runs like a beast despite all the noise
Mine was too which is why I was ignoring it up until this past weekend. This time it came with a loss of power. I would put the petal to the floor and it felt like it was down about 50-75hp. Not sure though cause its just a guess but you can definitely tell it didn't have the punch is usually had.

Sponsored

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least your dealer is being honest (some of employees) mine is straight blowing smoke "we never heard anything like this before" "your the first" "we must pick all the good ones" .. etc
Yes, fortunately for me and unfortunately for other members here, I was able to show my service adviser some of the findings from the other members here who have already been through the back and forth with the dealer. That's my reason for making this thread is to help others who can hopefully skip the headache of "it's normal" or "We don't hear anything".

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I personally don't buy the position advocated by some that this is a problem affecting a very small minority of owners. This issue (and I don't think it's "nothing") seems to be common and far flung. I've heard both the rhythmic and irregular tick on mine (2019, 1,100 miles), though only occasionally and fairly quietly to date. I suspect at the core is poor engineering and/or manufacturing. This makes me question my purchase and certainly whether I'd ever buy from Ford again. Life is too short for this nonsense. I'm hoping mine won't balloon into something significant.

Riddle me this: if the issue seems to be surfacing in 2019's, how does one figure getting a replacement engine will resolve the issue long term?
I think the issue is very common, and some just have it to a more audible level. Replacing the engine won't prevent it from happening again. That's why I don't even bother taking mine to the dealer.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Based on the sound of that engine, I think there might actually be 2 issues.

1. There is an engine tick. That tick is most likely piston slap, which would not necessarily account for the rough idle or loss of power. It is however very common among the 2018's now. For that fix, you need better oil. Go to 5w30 with a shear strength of at least 90,000psi or better.

2. I think the low rpm rough idle and loss of power issue is due to a bad fuel pump/fuel pressure. Exact same thing happened to my Chevy when the fuel pump started going bad. The Mustang has had a few fuel pumps go out. That guy Alejandro Flores on YouTube had his fuel pump quit after only 300 miles or so.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on the sound of that engine, I think there might actually be 2 issues.

1. There is an engine tick. That tick is most likely piston slap, which would not necessarily account for the rough idle or loss of power. It is however very common among the 2018's now. For that fix, you need better oil. Go to 5w30 with a shear strength of at least 90,000psi or better.

2. I think the low rpm rough idle and loss of power issue is due to a bad fuel pump/fuel pressure. Exact same thing happened to my Chevy when the fuel pump started going bad. The Mustang has had a few fuel pumps go out. That guy Alejandro Flores on YouTube had his fuel pump quit after only 300 miles or so.
I am running 5w-30 Full synthetic from motorcraft. Not sure the PSI sheer strength but after this issue arised I wanted to have the dealer do the oil change to avoid an issues for warranty work and I'm glad I did. I think maybe the fuel pump could be an issue as well. Regardless though if the engine is toast then good fuel pump or bad, doesn't make much of a difference at this point :(

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am running 5w-30 Full synthetic from motorcraft. Not sure the PSI sheer strength but after this issue arised I wanted to have the dealer do the oil change to avoid an issues for warranty work and I'm glad I did. I think maybe the fuel pump could be an issue as well. Regardless though if the engine is toast then good fuel pump or bad, doesn't make much of a difference at this point :(
No it doesn't. I would just let them take care of whatever that engine tick is. I have a slight tick, and still running 5w20. I plan on switching to 5w30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum because it has a 100,000psi shear strength and a higher Boron content than most other oils. If that doesn't fix the tick, then it's going back to the service dept.

What's funny about a lot of these newer synthetics, is they last a long time, have lots of cleaning agents, but the shear strength is no better than other oils. For example, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 only has a shear strength of 83,000psi. That's marginally better than Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend at 72,000psi. Kind of disappointing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I found this test data on Motorcraft API SN Synthetic 5w30. it might be the blend, but it doesn't say. The 5w20 he tested does say synthetic blend, so this might be the full synthetic version.

186. 5W30 Motorcraft, API SN synthetic = 68,782 psi
zinc = 796 ppm
phos = 830 ppm
moly = 75 ppm

That is a very disappointing shear strength for any synthetic oil. However, being synthetic and having lots of cleaning agents, it's probably meant to last a good 10,000 miles before it starts to break down. That doesn't mean the lubrication properties and ability to protect metal is better.

If they fix the fuel pump but don't have know what to do about the tick, a lot of guys on here are having good success with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30.

You could try that. If it doesn't help, I'd take it back to the service dept.

Last edited:
OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found this test data on Motorcraft API SN Synthetic 5w30. it might be the blend, but it doesn't say. The 5w20 he tested does say synthetic blend, so this might be the full synthetic version.

186. 5W30 Motorcraft, API SN synthetic = 68,782 psi
zinc = 796 ppm
phos = 830 ppm
moly = 75 ppm

That is a very disappointing shear strength for any synthetic oil. However, being synthetic and having lots of cleaning agents, it's probably meant to last a good 10,000 miles before it starts to break down. That doesn't mean the lubrication properties and ability to protect metal is better.

If they fix the fuel pump but don't have know what to do about the tick, a lot of guys on here are having good success with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30.

You could try that. If it doesn't help, I'd take it back to the service dept.
I'm all about using the best possible oil I can. Unfortunately I think if the engine is having major issues at just 7000 miles there's no oil that would have saved it from whatever defect is occurring and at best delayed the inevitable. I used ultra plat in my previous mustang and loved it.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
So any word on anything being on the bottom end of the engine? I'm dealing with the dealer now, as well, with two audible sounds. One sounds a lot like piston slap, the second is a dull thud/knock. They're investigating the latter, and Ford has advised them to pull off the oil pan after the tech found excessive metal particles in the oil filter. 2019 Mustang GT, btw.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So any word on anything being on the bottom end of the engine? I'm dealing with the dealer now, as well, with two audible sounds. One sounds a lot like piston slap, the second is a dull thud/knock. They're investigating the latter, and Ford has advised them to pull off the oil pan after the tech found excessive metal particles in the oil filter. 2019 Mustang GT, btw.
They are supposed to get with me tomorrow and I'll update you. So far they are just trying cam shaft position sensor.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
They are supposed to get with me tomorrow and I'll update you. So far they are just trying cam shaft position sensor.
Alright, cool. Some members have spoken about excessive main rod or rod bearing clearance (one said a service writer stated the crankshafts may have too much clearance) but so far all the issues I've seen are with the pistons.
Sponsored