Sponsored

Another '18 Coyote engine to bite the dust. (Buy back accepted)

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Since this thread has a lot of views I'll just preface what you see below. Below is my chronological process with my dealer investigating the "BBQ" or "Typewriter" tick that seems to plague so many '18 Mustangs. Its been up and down. The purpose of this thread is to help others dealing with dealerships that want to brush this off.

10/21/18 - Unfortunately my car is ticking to the point of what I believe is no return for this engine. I'm creating this thread to track the issue and to hopefully help others who are experiencing the same thing.

Ticking has progressively become worse of the last 2k miles and the car currently sits at 7600 miles. I tried to ignore it and tried to believe its an inherent noise of an engine with so many moving parts until last night.
Last night the ticking has become worse and this time came with other symptoms. These include a rough idle and a loss of power.

Video of Ticking at its worst so far:

10/22/18 - Car is currently at the dealer. After the tech heard the video he was familiar with this issue and thinks the car will need engine replacement.

10/23/18 - dealer is keeping car. They acknowledged the ticking is not normal. They are first replacing cam shaft position sensors. If that doesn't fix it they want to order a short block.

10/24/18 - Dealer replaced the cam sensors and stated they couldn't hear the ticking anymore at this time. I asked them to move forward with scoping the cylinder walls to inspect for damage for my own piece of mind. (based on @bigriver findings since my car also has the light throttle 2k rpm rattle) If they find nothing I will pay 3 hours of labor. Will update when they complete the scope. Hopefully it was just the sensors causing my tick and the walls are clean.

10/25/2018 - Picked car up from dealer. I really cant hear any ticking now. Boroscope found no scoring on any of the 8 cylinder walls. See picture below of explanation of what got rid of the tick (for now). Hopefully this might be the case for some of the other 18's ticking out there? Keep in mind I have never had had a CEL on this car. Not sure exactly what a code in the PCM means.

L8vdgHn697ZlYz0ELXsUnGF_b-fa-8mgn1CvJ12WOkguZ1hXCeU2BSJMr0QGseesHYeKwQ1cQeeznhcJUzA=w930-h914-no.jpg

AKbv8NOJjmFxC5hW8Iw3Ee_4AwgWhjrfHuqqKfP2f3YYY8xVs5q_M0JTw8-VmBWE1iKQB0_RygVrLjcUtw=w1680-h300-no.jpg

Video of same prospective, using the same phone, and same rpm revs for testing AFTER the Camshaft position senor (CMP) was replaced. This was after a 15 minute drive to go get gas with a normal engine oil temp. Just like the first video.

10/26/18 - Things have turned for the worse for my car. So there is still no tick but something worse has happened unfortunately. My car died in the middle of driving it last night on my way home from work. Engine code P0300 (Misfire) P0390 (Camshaft position sensor failure) and P0394 (Crankshaft position sensor failure). Car went into limp mode after restarting the engine. The car is now back at the dealer. I will update as soon as I hear something from Ford. Still no ticking though.

10/28/18 - Car is still at dealer. They reached out to the Hotline and asked if they should do an engine tear down. Ford engineers said no and to replace parts of the wiring harness and sensors. They later on moved to cutting open the oil filter. Looks like they are looking for an excuse to do an engine replacement so they don't have to hunt down an electrical grimlin. Hoping to hear something tomorrow.

10/29/18 - Technician found metal shavings in the oil filter. They are going to pull the heads over the next few days and inspect for further damage.

11/2/18 - Went to the dealer to check on my car and they brought me back to the car to show me what they found. The cam caps and cam shafts were scored to hell. You could tell the engine was eating itself alive for awhile now. They found metal glitter in the oil pan and oil filter. The Technician is recommending long block replacement and awaiting approval from Ford. I have opened a case with Ford Corporate in case I need to pursue a buy back which may be where I am headed. We are at 11 days the car has been at the dealer in total.

11/2/18 - Ford approved Long Block replacement.

11/6/18 - I find out Monday the 12th on the decision for buy back. Long block hasn't arrived at the dealer yet.

11/9/18 - Picked up car from Ford Dealer with a new long block installed in the car

Pf3_8zMHp7i5QSWL9InA4R2C9A8MPxzBK3ZJYOPZajGa0-P-S_5mvG1Kl57xY1vqy4hz7gQG6LbiDxH2pJz=w727-h969-no.jpg

11/11/2018 - No ticking. Engine dated 8/18. YET AGAIN, after driving the car 50 miles the car died and flashed the service light. Engine codes P0300 P0305 and P0303. I will be returning the car to the dealer first thing in the morning on Monday.

11/13/18 - Ford has declined my buyback. Car is still at the dealer and approaching the 30 day mark. This is already the third time the car has visited the dealer for engine issues. So I have reapplied for buyback under lemon law. As for the car, the dealer said that now they think there's a major electrical issue and to get comfortable in my loaner car as it was going to take awhile to diagnose and resolve.

11/14/18 - Received a call from my dealer that my car was ready today. Picked up the car with no CEL. Resolution notes as follows: CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON, HEARD TICKING NOISE THIS A.M. VERIFIED CODES P0303,P0305. CHECKED MODE 6 AND FOUND MISFIRES ON ALL CYLINDERS PERFORMED POWER BALANCE. PULLED SPARK PLUGS FOR CYLINDER 3 AND 5 FOUND PLUGS TO BE ASHY COLORED. SUSPECTED A LEAN QUOTATION. RESET PCM KAM AND MISFIRE RELEARN DROVE VEHICLE STILL HAD MISFIRES ON ALL CYLINDERS. REMOVED PORT FUEL RAIL AND FOUND INJECTORS TO HAVE CRUD OR DIRT AROUND THE UNDERSIDE OF ORINGS AND INJECTOR PORTS. CLEANED ALL INJECTORS AND REINSTALLED PORT FUEL RAIL. CLEARED DTCS. PERFORMED PCM ASBUILT, MISFIRE RELEARN AND CLEARED KAM. PERFORMED POST TEST DRIVE AND NO MISFIRE COUNTS PRESENT AT THIS TIME. MO-8164 VEHICLE IS NOW OKAY AT THIS TIME. VERIFIED REPAIR.

11/19/18 - I had to drop the car at the dealer yet again. The BBQ tick has returned on the new long block at about 200 miles on the new engine. I'm back in a loaner. Video below of new long block dated 8/18 ticking.

12/18/18 - Well after a long wait, Ford finally called me this morning to inform me that my car is accepted for Buyback. I've been absent lately dealing with some personal events as well as this Mustang issue. So I'll back track real quick.

The new engine started BBQ ticking at about 100 miles. I put another 1000 Miles on the engine and the ticking remained. I had the dealer change the oil when the new engine hit 1000 miles. They noted they found no metal glitter in the oil this time.

Fast forward a week and my car's 2,000 rpm light throttle engine rattle became super loud. Like wtf is happening loud, when its cold. Car is back at the dealer as of 12/11. Shop Foreman said he hears it and has no idea whats causing it but it working to find it. I'll post the work order if they end up finding the issue before I give the car back to ford.

This morning Ford called me and informed me that they have accepted my request for a buy back.

FINAL UPDATE: 1/4/19 - Car has been dropped off to the Ford dealer and I purchased a 2015 Mustang GT PP Premium. Hopefully all of this info will be useful to someone in the same boat I was in.

Car Details:
Oil change done at dealer with 10 quarts of Motorcraft Full synthetic 5w-30 at 5000 miles
2018 GT manual with 7600 miles. (Long Block Replaced and has ~200 miles on it as of 11/19/18)
My car has the 2k rpm rattle (Still present after engine replacement)
Tick has been present since about 2000 miles and progressively became worse.
Build date is 4/2018
IMG_20181102_150631.jpg
IMG_20181102_150629.jpg
IMG_20181102_174128_537.jpg
IMG_20181102_174128_536.jpg
IMG_20181102_150757.jpg
IMG_20181102_150641.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I’m in the same boat. Car has 11,000 miles on it . Build date of 5-18. It’s going back to the dealer on Wednesday. I had it there once before and they said they couldn’t here it , but on Saturday I went by and spoke to a different service writer who told me that they are being told to tell people that it’s normal and that they are seeing a lot of this problem

Gtgpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine is doing this and I just hit 700 miles.

OP
OP
5OhSilver

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Mine is doing this and I just hit 700 miles.
I'll report back this evening. I'm supposed to go by the dealer here soon.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There is something terribly wrong with the PTW bores and/or 12:1 compression pistons on these Gen 3s.

Sponsored

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
I personally don't buy the position advocated by some that this is a problem affecting a very small minority of owners. This issue (and I don't think it's "nothing") seems to be common and far flung. I've heard both the rhythmic and irregular tick on mine (2019, 1,100 miles), though only occasionally and fairly quietly to date. I suspect at the core is poor engineering and/or manufacturing. This makes me question my purchase and certainly whether I'd ever buy from Ford again. Life is too short for this nonsense. I'm hoping mine won't balloon into something significant.

Riddle me this: if the issue seems to be surfacing in 2019's, how does one figure getting a replacement engine will resolve the issue long term?

Gearhead82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Base 6MT
Riddle me this: if the issue seems to be surfacing in 2019's, how does one figure getting a replacement engine will resolve the issue long term?
It won’t. There have been a lot of people have the ticking return shortly after getting a new short or long block.

My ‘18 has it. First noticed it at about 1300 miles on the factory oil. I’ve decided not to worry about it or let it ruin my experience with this car for the time being. Going to document it but don’t want the dealership to touch it since there are no solid/consistent causes or fixes as this point. Hopefully Ford will issue a TSB or something eventually.

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The only positive thing I can say in my case is that the car still runs like a beast despite all the noise

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I’m in the same boat. Car has 11,000 miles on it . Build date of 5-18. It’s going back to the dealer on Wednesday. I had it there once before and they said they couldn’t here it , but on Saturday I went by and spoke to a different service writer who told me that they are being told to tell people that it’s normal and that they are seeing a lot of this problem
Did service writer acknowledge it was not normal?

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Did service writer acknowledge it was not normal?
Yes. I told him I had a 2018 mustang that was making engine noise and he asked if it was a v8. I said yes and he immediately said “ I knew it “ I asked him how many has he seen and he said a lot. He said that the engineers are telling them to tell people it’s normal and that there are a lot of dissatisfied customers right now. He said there is an internal service bulletin but he was reluctant to show It to me

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Yes. I told him I had a 2018 mustang that was making engine noise and he asked if it was a v8. I said yes and he immediately said “ I knew it “ I asked him how many has he seen and he said a lot. He said that the engineers are telling them to tell people it’s normal and that there are a lot of dissatisfied customers right now. He said there is an internal service bulletin but he was reluctant to show It to me
Aside from people not being happy, did he say if engineers said if actually any issues or any other details?

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Aside from people not being happy, did he say if engineers said if actually any issues or any other details?
He didn’t say. He was willing to share some info, but still gaurded

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
He didn’t say. He was willing to share some info, but still gaurded
Thanks for the info, mines at the dealer still supposed to get an update tomorrow, I am waiting for them to tell me its normal, I'll be down in that finance office so fast to get my extended plan prorated (which should be most of it) back it will not even be funny.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
At least your dealer is being honest (some of employees) mine is straight blowing smoke "we never heard anything like this before" "your the first" "we must pick all the good ones" .. etc

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
I wonder why (so it appears) Ford can't figure out what is going on? I can't be that difficult to figure out (with a horde of engineers), at which point the solution would work it's way to dealers and at some point someone one here or elsewhere would report what the cause and fix was / is.
Sponsored