Sponsored

Unleashed Tune blew my ecoboost mustang up

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Juben - so did you do a BSD on your new engine/ rebuild?
Sponsored

OP
OP
snugpixel

snugpixel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Ecoboost Premium
Updating again, new engine runs great. Strangely has very different overall sound than the previous one. Unleashed Tuning has still yet to respond to my numerous attempts to contact them. They still owe me 2 custom tunes or a refund. I contacted the BBB but that will likely do nothing either. I still highly recommend staying clear of Unleashed based on my experience with them.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Updating again, new engine runs great. Strangely has very different overall sound than the previous one. Unleashed Tuning has still yet to respond to my numerous attempts to contact them. They still owe me 2 custom tunes or a refund. I contacted the BBB but that will likely do nothing either. I still highly recommend staying clear of Unleashed based on my experience with them.
What a way to build a company and take care of a customer.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
[MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] . So we should check our spark plugs when receiving a misfire during xceleration?

Oh . Whoresruineverything!

Sponsored

Orcinus1967

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost
Just tell us like it is the connecting rods and caps are shit and any substantial Pre -Ignition will shatter the bottom of the block.
My 2016 Mustang ecoboost just blew up, @ 65,000 miles. Waiting to hear from the dealer what failed. By the sounds coming from the engine, it is a rod or piston. I did get "check oil" soon messages, and took it to Ford Quicklane for an oil change, however I do not think they checked out what codes it was throwing or why. I pulled out of Quicklane and went less then a mile and it blew up from a dead stop under medium acceleration. Sounds like LSPI. I live in the desert, temps go to 106 degrees Fahrenheit June - Sept regularly. I get my oil changed with Motorcraft @ 5000 miles via Quicklane. I have FP CAI, Ford Tune, NGK one step cooler spark plugs, Mishimoto catch can, Mishimoto intercooler, Magna flow street exhaust, and a one piece DSS driveshaft. Nothing outstanding in the warranty voiding department, the way I wanted it, for my 1000,000 mile CPO warranty car. As soon as I have the info from the dealer I will report on what let go. We shall see what they are willing to share with me...valve condition (any deposits) spark plug tells, data log...I am very curious as to why my car done blew up! It's a daily driver, I drive "spirited" but not balls to the wall, and no track racing.

Orcinus1967

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Still haven't heard of an engine blowing from a Ford Performance tune.
Happy I went with that and a ungraded intercooler (Mishi). Seems if a car is being daily driven maybe they should just go with that tune?
However I agree with the buying a built motor from Tune+ (especially when he releases the budget built motor) vs a replacement form ford if you can swing the money.
I have put a few more miles on a 2016 EBM than most, (I suspect) 65,000 miles. It just blew up, waiting for a diagnosis from the dealer. I have a FP CAI and Ford Tune. All mods after I bought it used, from a dealer, with a 100,000 CPO mile warranty on it and 25,000 miles. Before that it was a rental car. I suspect it is the Direct Injection, Pre-Detonation / LPSI issue for mine. No holes in the bottom of the block and still a good deal of oil showing on the dipstick. But a lot of noise from the top of the engine. We shall see. Its going to be interesting to see what happens as these engines get past 60,000 miles. I will push for replacement with a newer design, it has been said on forums there are weak cylinder walls in some places on the engine. Hopefully this would be addressed by now, although if it's "Pre-detonation" or just a general design flaw of DISI engines, a stronger block won't help if the engine is blowing apart rods and pistons inside.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I have FP CAI, Ford Tune, NGK one step cooler spark plugs, Mishimoto catch can, Mishimoto intercooler, Magna flow street exhaust, and a one piece DSS driveshaft. Nothing outstanding in the warranty voiding department, the way I wanted it, for my 1000,000 mile CPO warranty car.
Hope your car isn't at the dealer with these parts listed on it. Catch can is emissions modification, hopefully your exhaust still has the OEM catalytic converter on it, colder plugs are going to be used to say any ignition issues were your own fault. Magnuson-Moss would help if you were just tune/cai (since they are Ford parts and warranty still applies), but the rest are going to be used against you unless you have one VERY helpful dealership.

absurdh3ro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' PP EBM
I bought a 2015 pp ebm way back in january of 2015 at 40 miles brand new and now its at 77,856. Had it stock up to around 50k miles from which i started modding with turboback and intercooler (no catch can) simultaneously i went unleashed on the tune. at first i had cylinder misfires contacted them and got a new tune fixed and haven't had a problem since. i feel people aren't telling the full story or are oblivious to more concerning problems that lead up to the engine blowing. then again i could be lucky but fingers crossed since i got more year to pay off the car and ran out of warranty back at 75k miles.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
My 2016 Mustang ecoboost just blew up, @ 65,000 miles. Waiting to hear from the dealer what failed. By the sounds coming from the engine, it is a rod or piston. I did get "check oil" soon messages, and took it to Ford Quicklane for an oil change, however I do not think they checked out what codes it was throwing or why. I pulled out of Quicklane and went less then a mile and it blew up from a dead stop under medium acceleration. Sounds like LSPI. I live in the desert, temps go to 106 degrees Fahrenheit June - Sept regularly. I get my oil changed with Motorcraft @ 5000 miles via Quicklane. I have FP CAI, Ford Tune, NGK one step cooler spark plugs, Mishimoto catch can, Mishimoto intercooler, Magna flow street exhaust, and a one piece DSS driveshaft. Nothing outstanding in the warranty voiding department, the way I wanted it, for my 1000,000 mile CPO warranty car. As soon as I have the info from the dealer I will report on what let go. We shall see what they are willing to share with me...valve condition (any deposits) spark plug tells, data log...I am very curious as to why my car done blew up! It's a daily driver, I drive "spirited" but not balls to the wall, and no track racing.
I have a CPO as well and my wife is concerned (always - especially after I blew up my 2013 3 times after installing a turbo on it) that something will happen if I tune this Mustang. With the Ford Performance tune, although you don't get as much as with other tunes, is your CPO 100,000 mile warranty intact?

Sponsored

MustangLurker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
I have put a few more miles on a 2016 EBM than most, (I suspect) 65,000 miles. It just blew up, waiting for a diagnosis from the dealer. I have a FP CAI and Ford Tune. All mods after I bought it used, from a dealer, with a 100,000 CPO mile warranty on it and 25,000 miles. Before that it was a rental car. I suspect it is the Direct Injection, Pre-Detonation / LPSI issue for mine. No holes in the bottom of the block and still a good deal of oil showing on the dipstick. But a lot of noise from the top of the engine. We shall see. Its going to be interesting to see what happens as these engines get past 60,000 miles. I will push for replacement with a newer design, it has been said on forums there are weak cylinder walls in some places on the engine. Hopefully this would be addressed by now, although if it's "Pre-detonation" or just a general design flaw of DISI engines, a stronger block won't help if the engine is blowing apart rods and pistons inside.
Did you change the Low Pressure Fuel sensor to the newer version?

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Do you recall if the CPO 100K is "bumper to bumper" or "drivetrain only"?

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I would be surprised if they honored that, it's even questionable on the default power train warranty let alone Extended warranty with mods but I hope the best for you, would be great news. You should have at least taken off the catch can and plugs (although once it blows you can't do it anymore), believe it or not they can blame plugs for failures, it happens that's why it's best to just use the stocks, no need to risk warranty for something you get no real benefit from. As for the sensor it is proving to not be the answer to ecoboom as they are still blowing up with updated sensors, the sensor is just one part of the equation.

Orcinus1967

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Hope your car isn't at the dealer with these parts listed on it. Catch can is emissions modification, hopefully your exhaust still has the OEM catalytic converter on it, colder plugs are going to be used to say any ignition issues were your own fault. Magnuson-Moss would help if you were just tune/cai (since they are Ford parts and warranty still applies), but the rest are going to be used against you unless you have one VERY helpful dealership.
Since the motoor blew not even a mile away from the dealer after an oil change, yes it did have the catch can on it. I told the dealer exactly what was on the car, and since I had Quicklane check the catch can on previous oil changes, they now all about it. It is not a modification that would cause an engine failure. IN fact the opposite, the motor should come with one on it. However I have read that it won't stop mist or vapor, so its not a real answer for the problems of DISI engines. SInce its under a 100,000 mile warranty, its better for the dealer to ask for a whole engine (long block) replacement, then to rebuild from a short block. The dealer is pushing for total engine replacement. Ford's warranty department EPS or whatever its called, would LIKE to ship a short block. Its between the dealer and Ford at this point. The dealer is saying there is metal contamination in the engine. I expect this could go on for some time. It only been a week so far and they didn't even get into the engine until this past Monday, its now Friday and they are a busy dealership so its to be expected. What would really give Ford the opportunity to void my warranty is a non ford tune. This has been well discussed on forums on the internet. No one has yet to intimate that after market mods are to blame for the failure of the engine.
Again, we shall see. Thanks for your concern!. Cheers.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
However I have read that it won't stop mist or vapor, so its not a real answer for the problems of DISI engines.
FWIW, the only oil that comes through the PCV line is mist and vapor, the baffeling in the engine stops liquid oil from entering the PCV line. The purpose of the catch can is to take these very small molecules of oil suspended in the air and cause them to coalesce into larger molecules that will drop out of suspension and collect in the can.

That being said no catch can is 100% effective but it does greatly reduce the amount of oil vapor/mist that flows into the engine.

I read a post I believe was from a F150 forum where someone took two catch cans and put them in series. One was a very expensive unit and the other was an UPR can. No matter which order they were the first one accumulated the same amount of oil and the second had little or no oil. I know with my UPR can the line from the PCV valve is always quite wet with oil but the line from the can to the intake has almost no oil build up so the can is definitely doing it's job.
Sponsored