Sponsored

Xpel rear license plate area and hood vents

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Had full Xpel installed on my car and had some issues when they first finished the wrap and it went back in for some rework (which I also wasn't pleased with, it was a rush job for sure).

So it's going back in again they promised they would fix some major issues (debris stuck under film under 4 panels) but I also want to raise some concers I have in 4 specific area's and am trying to gather some info on what to expect from these area's.

So first I have the rear license plate area, they hadn't covered this area at first and I pointed it out and they fixed it the second time around. But they fixed it by just adding a piece of film in that area but it left a line between the film on the bumper and the license plate area. Not sure if it would be impossible to have it be part of the bumper kit don't know.

Second are the hood vents, at first they had only covered the front facing part but had no clue why they didn't just do the whole thing, Xpel kit on the website shows the full circle. So they also fixed that but only placed a seperate piece on the innerside of the hoodvent. Still only covers about 70% of the vent, and some sharp corners which get cought in any cleaning mitts.

Thirdly the inside of the mirrors the part you can see from inside the car, that isn't covered, I guess it cannot be done out of a single piece so would leave a line otherwise between the two films so I guess it's ok.

Lastly is the black plastic surrounding the taillights, they said it cannot be done on the 2018 lights too little room to work.

Also seen some small defects in the film like a slight bump, some melted looking plastic and squiggly lines in the film, so not 100% smooth.

I basically want this to be perfect it was expensive enough, and I am planning on doing a full Opticoat Pro+ so I don't want any problems on the film that aren't supposed to be there. So I am looking to get intel on what to expect from a full Xpel job and hopefully some comparrisons with w/e experience any of you have gotten with a full clear bra. Photo's so I can compare with my install would be much appreciated.

Might also just contact Xpel directly before I do the Opticoat. It's just so annoying, they did a amazing job on 95% of the car but my experience with bringing it back in for rework has shown that time and money ran out for this car.

19.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
27.jpg
Sponsored

RubyRedPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP 6-speed
I own a high end detailing shop here in the Cleveland Ohio area and we install Xpel. I also have a 16 Ruby GT that we installed Xpel film on, and then topped it off with Ceramic Pro 9H. We filmed the entire front which includes full hood, full fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors. I also filmed bottom of doors, rockers, rear quarter where it flares out in front of rear tire (that area gets the most chips), behind rear tires, behind license plate, door cups, and top of rear bumper where fingers might scratch when lifting trunk. I wish I could tell you that this product can be installed perfectly with zero imperfections, but that would be a lie. Whenever you are stretching a material as thick as Xpel over contours, edges etc. you are running the risk of having some kind of imperfection. I am not saying that you cannot expect it to be 98% perfect but you have to realize that is designed for protection, not looks. Of course it should looks its best and be hard to detect, but expect very minor defects. Things like finger prints under the film, dirt, big bubbles etc.. should be fixed and are not excusable. The taillights are a very hard area to cover but can be done, but might also look goofy. The piano black needs to be polished first and then filmed or coated. I believe my hood scoops are completely covered but I will check. Hope this helps, and feel free to contact me with any questions!

Fortraxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium
I own a high end detailing shop here in the Cleveland Ohio area and we install Xpel. I also have a 16 Ruby GT that we installed Xpel film on, and then topped it off with Ceramic Pro 9H. We filmed the entire front which includes full hood, full fenders, bumper, headlights, mirrors. I also filmed bottom of doors, rockers, rear quarter where it flares out in front of rear tire (that area gets the most chips), behind rear tires, behind license plate, door cups, and top of rear bumper where fingers might scratch when lifting trunk. I wish I could tell you that this product can be installed perfectly with zero imperfections, but that would be a lie. Whenever you are stretching a material as thick as Xpel over contours, edges etc. you are running the risk of having some kind of imperfection. I am not saying that you cannot expect it to be 98% perfect but you have to realize that is designed for protection, not looks. Of course it should looks its best and be hard to detect, but expect very minor defects. Things like finger prints under the film, dirt, big bubbles etc.. should be fixed and are not excusable. The taillights are a very hard area to cover but can be done, but might also look goofy. The piano black needs to be polished first and then filmed or coated. I believe my hood scoops are completely covered but I will check. Hope this helps, and feel free to contact me with any questions!
Hello, I am just west of the cle area and I am looking for a reputable shop to have my 19 coated and wrapped. Could you give me the name and address of your buisness and I could stop by and go over what I want done?
Sponsored