Sponsored

Storing summer tires

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
When reading up on the many of the high performance summer tires they say not to store them below 20 degree's. I'm guessing there are a few days a year where the temperature in the garage is going to be at or below that.

I'll have to bring them inside I suppose at that point or am I being over paranoid trying to follow their recommendation? Also is it best to store them inflated or un-inflated?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you can, I'd try to get them off the cold floor. Air is a better insulator than concrete.

I also gather that its faster temperature swings from hot to cold that cause problems more than just a steady cold temps. If the temperature swings to cold slowly they're less likely to crack. IDK if thats just because rubber, or if its due to the air changing volume inside. Without any weight on them, I wouldn't guess that being inflated or not would have a big effect.

You can also store them inside on the few coldest days. I kinda like the smell of tire rubber, but I could be a little strange that way.

When I replaced my MPSS summer tires at 19k miles, I noticed they had some cracking, and that's from only a week or two below 30 degrees here in Texas. Those tires never left the car tho, and they were driven HARD on a couple of the coldest days. I would guess that tires stored in a garage would fare better.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
A tire stored indoors in an unheated garage is not going to crack or suffer any other ill effects from freezing temps.

OP
OP

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I am going to try and get them off the floor but they are LARGE wheels and tires to hide in a single car garage. I plan to build something on the far wall to keep them off the floor.

I suppose if the temp. really dips I can bring them inside by I can only imagine the grief I'm going to get from the wife at that point.

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
That’s the tire rack I have for mine. Have used to hold drag wheels, stockers with snow tires, and my Project 6G wheels. No problems

My F150 summer wheels with 33” Nitto mud grapplers stay on the floor standing up all winter with no issues. They’re over 500 lbs together so no way they’d hold up.

Sponsored

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
I am going to try and get them off the floor but they are LARGE wheels and tires to hide in a single car garage. I plan to build something on the far wall to keep them off the floor.

I suppose if the temp. really dips I can bring them inside by I can only imagine the grief I'm going to get from the wife at that point.

Could always put a couple layers of scrap cardboard below them to get them off the floor temporarily

OP
OP

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I ended up ordering two of the tire wall mounts and wheel covers. I wasn't going to spend 50 bucks on some cardboard wrapped in felt so I'll make my own wheel felt protectors.

I plan on leaving them in the garage and if the temp dips into the 20's I'll just bring them inside for a few days. We don't see that many days in a winter where it should be an issue.

Next house is going to have a heated garage for sure. Natural gas isn't that expensive to keep a garage in the 50's near me.

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have a couple extra sets of track tires and have used both the Kurgo 'tire garage' and tire totes.

I prefer the tire garage for storage, but the individual totes are easier to move around.

Tire garage:

kurgo-tire-garage-2.gif

Totes:

Tire_Tote_Tire_Cover_Kurgo__88700.1485373556.480.480.jpg

Both will keep the tires from getting anything dirty, or smelling up the room if you want to store them indoors. Mine go in a spare room because there's already way too much crap in the garage.
Sponsored