Sponsored

Went a little hard on the Dyno and blew my 2018 stock engine with turbos...car made big power though

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Anthropomorphism, one of my favorite words to screw up when attempting to say out loud. Oddly I have no problem spelling it.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the word that always gets me.

I am pleased to have learned that a replacement engine is relatively affordable. Once that warranty runs it's course, it's time for some more go fast goodies. Maybe then I can sit at the cool kids table. I am excited to see the results of your rebuild.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the word that always gets me.

I am pleased to have learned that a replacement engine is relatively affordable. Once that warranty runs it's course, it's time for some more go fast goodies. Maybe then I can sit at the cool kids table. I am excited to see the results of your rebuild.
You don't need to wait for an engine build to kick it at the cool kids table when you know words like that ...I'm sure they'll let you join them. I'm still working on my invite.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
isnt midnite making over 1kwhp at 14psi or something?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm quite bored today. I think I might call a dyno shop and ask them if they had an opening so I can see how much my engine can take before it explodes. I just don't get it, but I'm old. Anyhow, congrats on taking responsibility, though for the life of me, I cannot figure out why someone would want to do this.
Not everybody is happy with 435hp.

He can now put a built motor in and enjoy that 1k hp, most people wait for the stock motor to break rather than go built from the start.

blueghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bode
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1967 GT350, 1961 Ford Starliner (HM 427)
We have already torn it down. No indication of detonation on the plugs. It was a mechanical failure.
Thanks for updating on your project. I've been racing Fords for over 50 years and somewhere along the line something will break. It's part of being a racer and operating on the edge. It's what racers do. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
isnt midnite making over 1kwhp at 14psi or something?
Based on their trap speed, I would say something like that. Their success doesn't negate this failure. We both use the same tuner and run quality kits/parts. I'm not sure of the build date on their vehicle but they dodged a bullet that I just couldn't. It's impressive what they're doing and I'm nothing but happy for them.

Thanks for updating on your project. I've been racing Fords for over 50 years and somewhere along the line something will break. It's part of being a racer and operating on the edge. It's what racers do. :)
I'm glad to see you and a few others understand.

Video is rendering. I'll post tomorrow after work. It's about 14mins long and I promise I limited shots with my ugly mug as much as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here's the second video. Hopefully you enjoy it. Let me know what you think happened. I think we can all agree on the likely culprit of the failure.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
whodathunkit.

Now time for the good ol' m6g special.
1: Return the car to stock
2: Take it to your local dealer
3: Demand warranty work.

OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
whodathunkit.

Now time for the good ol' m6g special.
1: Return the car to stock
2: Take it to your local dealer
3: Demand warranty work.
I'm just going to go ahead and toss this MPR Engine in and have some fun. That warranty was shot the day I bought the car lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

blueghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bode
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1967 GT350, 1961 Ford Starliner (HM 427)
I'm just going to go ahead and toss this MPR Engine in and have some fun.
Wrist pin, hmm......Do you think it's a manufacturing flaw or just the weak link? What are the Coyote folks doing to solve this problem?

Again thanks for sharing and keep us updated on the new build.

Grace and Peace,

OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Wrist pin, hmm......Do you think it's a manufacturing flaw or just the weak link? What are the Coyote folks doing to solve this problem?

Grace and Peace,
I've talked with a few people that are high up in the industry and they seem to remember thinking the wrist pins design changed in 2018 and appeared weaker than the previous years (11-17). We are looking to confirm that as it's been quite some time but it appears to be a common theme with the incidents I'm aware of. I'm also trying to find a correlation with early build times since I mine was in November of 2017 and a few others were early as well. Hard to determine with such little data. I really can't be mad about this though. Car made great power. 800+ft-lbs on a stock assembly is impressive.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Producing 2.5X's the horsepower the engines intended for I'd say you can rule out design flaw.

Grace and Peace,
Sponsored