Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Quinten33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, lol
But the GT500 has to be able to put its power down like the ZL1 1LE can. A 750hp whipple-Charged GT on NT05R’s is a different animal compared to a 750hp supercharged factory Mustang with minimal-sidewall track tires, especially when exiting an elevated turn. The ZL1 1LE grips its way around tracks just as well as it rockets down straightaways, maybe better. Put a ZL1 1LE on SC2 or Trofeo R tires like everyone else and their grandma is running, and I bet the GT500 wouldn’t touch it at Road Atlanta, Willow, Thunderhallow, or wherever else you want to race. Ford was seen benchmarking both the ZL1 1LE and the 911 GT3, however, so it may top the food chain for a while with the new GT500.

I just can’t wrap my head around announcing a car, teasing it, and then saying nothing about it until you reveal it a year later, only to not produce it for another 3-7 months. It likely won’t even be on sale for a year before a new halo Camaro model debuts, and I’m sure that new a Challenger with 850hp or something of the sort will also debut at that point.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I just can’t wrap my head around announcing a car, teasing it, and then saying nothing about it until you reveal it a year later, only to not produce it for another 3-7 months. It likely won’t even be on sale for a year before a new halo Camaro model debuts, and I’m sure that new a Challenger with 850hp or something of the sort will also debut at that point.
Even in the current environment with Ford in such disarray it is indeed difficult to believe what we are seeing (or better put - aren't seeing). Ford needs to start talking about this car in some way, shape, or form. While I'm quite sure they have a plan in place (that has no doubt seen numerous changes) they gain nothing with radio silence across the board. They need to start talking proudly about what they have been working on in a way that shows strength across the corporate structure. We know they are weak and rather vulnerable right now but they need to get it together and at least attempt to create some positive perception. They are encouraging the assumption that the company is disorganized and at odds with itself as well as the very markets they seek to participate in.

Sooner or later you have to put the new quarterback in the game. Ford, the time is now.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
But the GT500 has to be able to put its power down like the ZL1 1LE can. A 750hp whipple-Charged GT on NT05R’s is a different animal compared to a 750hp supercharged factory Mustang with minimal-sidewall track tires, especially when exiting an elevated turn. The ZL1 1LE grips its way around tracks just as well as it rockets down straightaways, maybe better. Put a ZL1 1LE on SC2 or Trofeo R tires like everyone else and their grandma is running, and I bet the GT500 wouldn’t touch it at Road Atlanta, Willow, Thunderhallow, or wherever else you want to race. Ford was seen benchmarking both the ZL1 1LE and the 911 GT3, however, so it may top the food chain for a while with the new GT500.

Um, go look at what tires are on the ZL1 1LE. The Supercar 3R are stickier than Cup 2s and in the same range as the Trofeo Rs. The ZL1 1LE is a horrendous vehicle to drive with regularity on the road. The GT350R and the GT500 aren't/won't be and will be better for it.

315 Cup 2s will be on the GT500.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Those numbers are specific to one track. VIR has long WOT lengths where an increase in horsepower will affect top end speed and will decrease lap times. The results would be much different on other tracks. I believe that if the 500 can maintain the handling characteristics of the R, with a huge increase in HP, it very likely would better the 1LE times at that particular track. This is all speculation because Ford has given us nothing to accurately compare.

All these intense discussions based upon speculation.......
If you know other comparisons feel free to post them. It's hard to find GT350R vs ZL1 1LE tests.

I don't see that as intense discussions, it's just pointing out that Ford has to really push their limits to beat the ZL1 1LE on track. I don't think it's as simple as "add more horsepower and stickier tires". As people mentioned, Ford has to offer the best in class with the GT500, otherwise it will likely get a lot of bad comments like "that's all they could after all these years?".

Same goes for Dodge, if they give the GT500 the announced 700+hp it better not lose to a hellcat in a drag

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
But you do know that if you want a roadcar you can buy the base ZL1? Why buy the expensive track package when you don't want a trackcar?

Also what comparisons between ZL1 1LE and GT350R do you mean? On motortrend the base ZL1 and GT350R were pretty even. On Lightning Lap the result was similiar:
SS 1LE: 2:54:8
GT PP2 2:53:8
GT350R 2:51:8
ZL1 2:50:1
ZL1 1LE: 2:45:7

Of course remove a bit distance between the cars for different days, conditions, etc. But still the GT350R is closer to SS 1LE and PP2 than to the ZL1 1LE. I don't think just add power for a GT500 would close the gap.
Cars have more to them than a single number, unless you are professionally racing. Even then, time for a single lap doesn't make a car.

Have you seen the One Take reviews of the ZL1 1LE and GT350R? I bet you want to disregard them, don't you.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you know other comparisons feel free to post them. It's hard to find GT350R vs ZL1 1LE tests.

I don't see that as intense discussions, it's just pointing out that Ford has to really push their limits to beat the ZL1 1LE on track. I don't think it's as simple as "add more horsepower and stickier tires". As people mentioned, Ford has to offer the best in class with the GT500, otherwise it will likely get a lot of bad comments like "that's all they could after all these years?".

Same goes for Dodge, if they give the GT500 the announced 700+hp it better not lose to a hellcat in a drag
You threw a bunch of irrelevant lap times out there in an apples to oranges comparison. The GT350R is a naturally aspirated 526hp track car. How would it, in any universe, be able to be compared to a track focused supercharged car on a track like VIR? You state the obvious, but I think only to promote your own agenda. I'm just curious...... I don't post or even spend any time over at the Chevy forums. What are you doing here? Save your argument or debate (that is based on nothing) for when we know something (other than rumors and leaks) about the GT500.

Happy trolling!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
I just wanted to have some sources for the statement "The GT350R has won most comparisons with the ZL1 1LE, because it's a much better road car while only being slightly slower on the track" - Of course comparing both cars is difficult since power and price are not equal at all. But I can't find any review can point us that the GT350R is only slightly slower than the 1LE on track. I haven't seen the One Take reviews, I will check them out definitely. And if a carmaker builds a trackcar, I don't think having the more comfortable daily driver is a valid argument (just don't get the 1LE or R package).

Sorry am I not allowed to talk about what I want the GT500 to be because I drive a Chevy? I want the GT500 to beat the 1LE, and then let the Z/28 beat the GT500 and then let the Gen 7 cars beat the hell out of the GT500 & Z/28, etc. I don't root for any company, I root for the carmakers investing in technogical advancement and pushing the performance of the cars with every new model. What is this forum about when everybody is called out a fanboy or told to leave this forum once anything negative comes up, even if it's just disagree to exaggerated claims...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I just wanted to have some sources for the statement "The GT350R has won most comparisons with the ZL1 1LE, because it's a much better road car while only being slightly slower on the track" - Of course comparing both cars is difficult since power and price are not equal at all. But I can't find any review can point us that the GT350R is only slightly slower than the 1LE on track. I haven't seen the One Take reviews, I will check them out definitely. And if a carmaker builds a trackcar, I don't think having the more comfortable daily driver is a valid argument (just don't get the 1LE or R package).

Sorry am I not allowed to talk about what I want the GT500 to be because I drive a Chevy? I want the GT500 to beat the 1LE, and then let the Z/28 beat the GT500 and then let the Gen 7 cars beat the hell out of the GT500 & Z/28, etc. I don't root for any company, I root for the carmakers investing in technogical advancement and pushing the performance of the cars with every new model. What is this forum about when everybody is called out a fanboy or told to leave this forum once anything negative comes up, even if it's just disagree to exaggerated claims...
Have a nice day

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Pick one. Every review I've seen of the ZL1 1LE says it's really rough riding, even on a super smooth road. And they all say that it's a Camaro and has all the issues that every current generation Camaro has.

Reviews of the GT350R say that it's legendary and the reviewer wants one.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In terms of performance at the track, let's be honest, the current ZL1-1LE kicks the crap out of the GT350. The Camaro's only potential flaw lies in the ability to stay cool and some have hit that limitation at the track. Ford faces the same challenge with the upcoming GT500.

If you are concerned about street manners then the ZL1-1LE may not be the best choice, hence the "regular" ZL1. Ford will either compromise and only offer one car that covers both bases or they'll essentially do the same as GM and off a regular GT500 and a much more track minded variant. So to argue about ride quality, given the above context, really isn't fair.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
In terms of performance at the track, let's be honest, the current ZL1-1LE kicks the crap out of the GT350. The Camaro's only potential flaw lies in the ability to stay cool and some have hit that limitation at the track. Ford faces the same challenge with the upcoming GT500.

If you are concerned about street manners then the ZL1-1LE may not be the best choice, hence the "regular" ZL1. Ford will either compromise and only offer one car that covers both bases or they'll essentially do the same as GM and off a regular GT500 and a much more track minded variant. So to argue about ride quality, given the above context, really isn't fair.
it is rough enough some bumps make the seat belt lock in place lol...like your very own "eject" button.

i do think this battle is gonna be a blast to watch, it makes me excited for the car again, and we know they have their work cut out for them for sure. i'm curious if the DCT will put them over the top...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

If the harshness also makes it hard to extract performance (back road or track), it absolutely matters.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Agree to disagree. I think the GT350 R (I assume you were talking about the R model even though you didn't put the last letter in) is surprisingly close in performance to the ZL1 1LE given the big difference in power and the fact that the GT350R has a much more compliant ride.

That's my takeaway from the MotorTrend comparison and what Randy P. said, anyway.

I do agree the ZL1 1LE is fast, though. There was one at my last track outing and he was the only guy that whipped by me in my lowly GT350 (non R). I didn't have anything to worry about with the 'vettes that were there or the Hellcat.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the harshness also makes it hard to extract performance (back road or track), it absolutely matters.
I didn't comment that something somehow "didn't matter." Everything matters.

Ford will either jump into the spool valve foray as GM or try to tweak the Mag dampers for a range that is suitable for comfort and near maximum performance. Their call.

Agree to disagree. I think the GT350 R (I assume you were talking about the R model even though you didn't put the last letter in) is surprisingly close in performance to the ZL1 1LE given the big difference in power and the fact that the GT350R has a much more compliant ride.
Spool valve dampers (with simple camber adjustment), battery in the trunk, front tow hook, Performance Data Recorder, more elaborate lightweighting...GM has been a bit more serious in terms of hardware and Ford is playing catchup (witness Ford's late to the game decision to incorporate rev matching well after GM had it on the Camaro). Again, aside from potential FI cooling issues, the ZL1-1LE is a much more hardcore effort than the R model. Ford has an opportunity with the GT500 to take the lead and as I said they will either compromise with one car or show how serious they are if they choose to also offer a track duty beast. Time will tell.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB